The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Costa Maya Food suggestions? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3126976)

sgc1107 06-14-2013 06:33 PM

Costa Maya Food suggestions?

This September we stop in costa maya.... For a very short time! The DH & I would like to find a place to eat lunch, real Mexican food! Any suggestions?

Mickeyhugger 06-14-2013 07:21 PM

Yes, Tropicante!

It is run by a man named Steve, (originally from Plano, TX, so he knows about good Tex-Mex food.):thumbsup2 While there, you'll have free Wi-Fi access, and free beach chairs. It's a 2.00 cab ride to Mahahaul, (almost walking distance, but it might be too hot.)

Google Tropicante, Costa Maya.;)

Don't forget to treat yourself to a $25.00 ONE-HOUR massage too! (Under the trees, so relaxing.)

CanuckTraveller 06-14-2013 08:07 PM

I'll second Tropicante, food was great and reasonably priced. It isn't the most authentic Mexican food I've eaten, but it's hard to get authentic Mexican food in tourist areas like Maya Chan :). Email Steve and he will give you directions as to the best way to get there. We went a year ago with our boys and had a great time.
(DS 2 adding his emoticons... :banana::happytv::furious:)

JennLK 06-14-2013 08:17 PM

I will third the Tropicante! Steve is great, food and drink are reasonably priced, great beach ;). Make sure you email him ahead of time so he reserves either loungers or a table for you

sgc1107 06-14-2013 08:21 PM

Thank you so much everyone! I've read about this place before! I just simply forgot and figured just waking around seems how we don't have much time in port :-( going to see if anyone from our dis group would like to join us!

NickyDa 06-14-2013 09:06 PM

Without a doubt, you have to visit Steve and his staff at Tropicante. Even though it rained all day when we were there at the end of May, the food and service were great. Check out the fish tacos. Be sure to email him beforehand and he will give you detailed instructions on how to get there quickly once the ship docks.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/8...485da077_z.jpg

disneynme 06-14-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyDa (Post 48686172)
Without a doubt, you have to visit Steve and his staff at Tropicante. Even though it rained all day when we were there at the end of May, the food and service were great. Check out the fish tacos. Be sure to email him beforehand and he will give you detailed instructions on how to get there quickly once the ship docks.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3694/8...485da077_z.jpg

OK. YUM!! We just got back from our Western. I thought that the next time we go to Costa Maya I might just stay on the ship. But, I love fish tacos and those look fabulous. I will definitely look into Tropicante on our next visit.

sgc1107 06-14-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyDa (Post 48686172)

OMG done deal! Definitely going to email him!

Four Swampers 06-14-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynme (Post 48686287)
OK. YUM!! We just got back from our Western. I thought that the next time we go to Costa Maya I might just stay on the ship. But, I love fish tacos and those look fabulous. I will definitely look into Tropicante on our next visit.

Seriously! I was thinking I would not bother with a Western again. Now I might book one just to eat at Tropicante! :thumbsup2

Mickeyhugger 06-14-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgc1107 (Post 48685860)
Thank you so much everyone! I've read about this place before! I just simply forgot and figured just waking around seems how we don't have much time in port :-( going to see if anyone from our dis group would like to join us!

And the short time the ship is in port is the BEST reason to visit Tropicante. VERY CLOSE, inexpensive, and relaxing! Costa Maya used to be my family's least favorite port, now we SEARCH for cruises to Costa Maya. Tropicante is the best kept secret.:)

Quest1350 06-15-2013 12:35 AM

Maya Chan

We did Maya Chan this past spring while on the Fantasy. Absolutely loved everything about it, especially the food. My mother-n-law has family lineage from Mexico. She mentioned that the food is exactly what she remembered from her childhood and couldn't stop talking about it. We are already searching for future cruises that focus on taking us back there!

TXDCLfan 06-15-2013 02:33 AM

Another POSITIVE vote for hitting up the Tropicante while in Costa Maya:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Food is great and you can not beat the $25/hour massage....Steve is an awesome host:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Goofysrus 06-15-2013 12:47 PM

Another recommendation for Tropicante and Steve! You can also take a boat out for snorkeling. Super reasonable!
We also chose to do some shopping there instead of the Port! We walked down the strip and shopped and just had a great time...

MRAven 06-15-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgc1107 (Post 48686420)
OMG done deal! Definitely going to email him!

Done deal for us too but on a later week :cheer2:

Thank you to everyone for all the info. :thumbsup2

sgc1107 06-15-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRAven (Post 48690567)

Done deal for us too but on a later week :cheer2:

Thank you to everyone for all the info. :thumbsup2

Manny!!!!! Great minds think alike I guess!