The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   word of warning to anyone going to Paris (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3126483)

txSleepingBeauty 06-13-2013 05:51 PM

word of warning to anyone going to Paris

after their Med cruise and using the night train. After the Transatlantic, we were leaving from the Estacion Franca on the 1955 overnight train up to Paris. There is NOWHERE in the station or nearby to leave luggage and the thieves are rampant. I had my entire purse stolen, including my passport, phone and camera with every picture we had taken on it the previous two weeks. All gone.

The train station employees were less than helpful, including the security guard. The payphones don't work and no one will let you make an overseas call. Neither would the hotel next door. I couldn't cancel my credit cards until we got to Paris the next day. Thankfully they never tried to use any.

So be aware in that train station!

OrangeCountyCommuter 06-13-2013 05:54 PM

It sounds like this happened in Barcelona?

Sorry! But even in the US the police don't do much for purse snatching.... (trust me I know :) )

Train stations are always risky. However we managed to survive several trains on this trip with no problem. but you have to watch your stuff and never set down something like a purse... Sorry this happened, but hopefully your crisis can prevent others... :(

disneywonderfun 06-13-2013 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txSleepingBeauty (Post 48675821)
after their Med cruise and using the night train. After the Transatlantic, we were leaving from the Estacion Franca on the 1955 overnight train up to Paris. There is NOWHERE in the station or nearby to leave luggage and the thieves are rampant. I had my entire purse stolen, including my passport, phone and camera with every picture we had taken on it the previous two weeks. All gone.

The train station employees were less than helpful, including the security guard. The payphones don't work and no one will let you make an overseas call. Neither would the hotel next door. I couldn't cancel my credit cards until we got to Paris the next day. Thankfully they never tried to use any.

So be aware in that train station!

Unfortunate, but not that uncommon. I travel with zip socks that have a zippered pocket large enough to stick your passport and cash. Never worry anymore on the road. Of course, somebody could still grab my luggage, etc. Never entirely safe, I guess.

DWF

txSleepingBeauty 06-13-2013 06:25 PM

Yup, it was in Barcelona. My bag was right beside me, someone came up from behind. Just wanted to give people a heads up.

luv2sleep 06-13-2013 06:41 PM

How did you get home without your passport?
Was your purse on your on you? Do you think someone bumped you to distract you or something like that?

MaleficentRN 06-13-2013 06:56 PM

I have a friend who was gassed, yes gassed, on an overnight train from Barcelona to Paris. It was her and a couple of other people in a car and she just felt really tired and woke up a couple of hours later and a wallet lighter.
You really have to be on guard 110% in Europe.

luv2sleep 06-13-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaleficentRN (Post 48676326)
I have a friend who was gassed, yes gassed, on an overnight train from Barcelona to Paris. It was her and a couple of other people in a car and she just felt really tired and woke up a couple of hours later and a wallet lighter.
You really have to be on guard 110% in Europe.

Wow! Did they not have their own room/cabin or were they sleeping on the open train in the train car?

I was thinking you could lock your door.

MaleficentRN 06-13-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 48676347)
Wow! Did they not have their own room/cabin or were they sleeping on the open train in the train car?

I was thinking you could lock your door.

It was an open car, Everyone woke up with a killer headache. This was several years ago. I hadn't thought of it in years and just messaged her to help refresh my memory on the details.

luv2sleep 06-13-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaleficentRN (Post 48676390)

It was an open car, Everyone woke up with a killer headache. This was several years ago. I hadn't thought of it in years and just messaged her to help refresh my memory on the details.

That makes more sense but where in the heck was security? That's really awful.

disneyfan888 06-13-2013 07:10 PM

Wow, I am so sorry to hear that. :sad2: Sadly this type of thing is very common in Europe. I almost had my purse stolen on the metro and thankfully another passenger saw the person and knew what they were up to and stopped them. Very scary. I hope you and your family are all well.

Plaid Princess 06-13-2013 07:14 PM

Same thing happened to my mom in Paris.

txSleepingBeauty 06-13-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 48676199)
How did you get home without your passport?
Was your purse on your on you? Do you think someone bumped you to distract you or something like that?

I had to get an emergency passport in Paris. Thankfully, they don't check identification when going between EU countries. My bag was sitting beside me in my backpack which was unfortunately unzipped. someone walked right behind me and grabbed the purse. never saw anything.

As far as getting gassed on the actual train, I was petrified of someone stealing our stuff on the actual train. So I slept with my mom's bag with her passport and remaining credit cards wrapped around my leg and under the covers, an had our bags piled in front of the door so that no one could get into our cabin

luv2sleep 06-13-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txSleepingBeauty (Post 48676681)

I had to get an emergency passport in Paris. Thankfully, they don't check identification when going between EU countries. My bag was sitting beside me in my backpack which was unfortunately unzipped. someone walked right behind me and grabbed the purse. never saw anything.

As far as getting gassed on the actual train, I was petrified of someone stealing our stuff on the actual train. So I slept with my mom's bag with her passport and remaining credit cards wrapped around my leg and under the covers, an had our bags piled in front of the door so that no one could get into our cabin

Even with a locked door, huh? Scary?

Just goes to show stuff happens everywhere. Nowhere seems safe.

MaleficentRN 06-13-2013 08:01 PM

Ok. To set the record straight. My friend was in a sleeper car with 5 others on a train from Paris to Nice. But still, be VERY CAREFUL!

luv2sleep 06-13-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaleficentRN (Post 48676909)
Ok. To set the record straight. My friend was in a sleeper car with 5 others on a train from Paris to Nice. But still, be VERY CAREFUL!

That's even worse, right? You'd expect to be relatively safe in a sleeper car. I would hope you could lock the door.