The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   pre-paid gratuities for spa treatments???? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3126014)

ThePicketts 06-12-2013 05:19 PM

pre-paid gratuities for spa treatments????

I just got an email stating that 18% gratuities are to be prepaid for spa treatments. Not happy. Why call it a gratuity if my generosity is prepaid and demanded. Grrrrrr

tajz90 06-12-2013 05:23 PM

I usually tip, at the least, 20%, but this irritates me so much that ( while I'm not willing to give up massage ), I might be willing to give up the 20+ and stick with the required 18!

ThePicketts 06-12-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tajz90
I usually tip, at the least, 20%, but this irritates me so much that ( while I'm not willing to give up massage ), I might be willing to give up the 20+ and stick with the required 18!

If it wouldn't be such a disappointment to my wife, I'd cancel it. However, I will not be booking any for myself now.

lizabu 06-12-2013 06:23 PM

I would think you could change the tip amount after the treatment based on the level of service you receive. Add to the tip for stellar service and ask to lower the tip for poor service in the same way you can do so with other gratuities.

Belleluvswdw 06-12-2013 06:28 PM

I got this and am irked too. I typically leave a 20% tip for spa svcs. As much as I *want* to cancel, I know I'll just rebook onboard cuz the MIL is traveling with us and I'll need it! But, I will not be increasing my tip, that is for sure! 18% it is...

PrincessShmoo 06-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lizabu (Post 48667157)
I would think you could change the tip amount after the treatment based on the level of service you receive. Add to the tip for stellar service and ask to lower the tip for poor service in the same way you can do so with other gratuities.

Maybe, but maybe not. You can't lower/remove the 15% gratuity added to your bar bill. You can, however, tip additionally to it. That additional tip goes directly to your bar server or bartender (whoever you designate). The 15% auto tip on the bar bills is pooled to be divided among all bar servers/bartenders. Maybe that's what they are doing with this tip. Making it so all the spa service people get some tip, and you can tip additionally to the actual person who renders the service to you.

disneyfan888 06-12-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePicketts (Post 48666747)
If it wouldn't be such a disappointment to my wife, I'd cancel it. However, I will not be booking any for myself now.

I cancelled all my treatments and I am not happy about it, but this is not appropriate tipping etiquette. Very, very disappointed. I have always tipped and sometimes more than 20%, but this is just not right.

FJS961 06-12-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyfan888 (Post 48667271)
I cancelled all my treatments and I am not happy about it, but this is not appropriate tipping etiquette. Very, very disappointed. I have always tipped and sometimes more than 20%, but this is just not right.

I agree and am going to cancel ours.

Being able to threaten a reduced tip if they hard sell products has been a great tool - now they know they are getting 18% no matter what.

the_bUg 06-12-2013 07:14 PM

Sigh... I'm not happy about this one bit. My last cruise (a 3 nighter) I booked two treatments (75 min hot stones), the first time I tipped about 23 percent. The second time I tipped over 30% above the 190$ I payed for a 75 minute treatment(My masseur was a trained sports therapist and did some extra, assisted stretching exercises with me that were awesome).

But seriously what are they thinking making this a mandatory thing... It ticks me off, because cheapskates who don't tip are the ones causing this policy to be implemented... Also, why can't Senses spa pay their employees a living wage out of the HUNDREDS of dollars that I give them for about 3 hours of 1 persons time.

:mad:

luv2sleep 06-12-2013 07:24 PM

I bet they did this because of people who don't tip. The first time I went I was a little taken aback by the need to tip on a cruise after paying for the service but I tipped I think my usual 15-20%.

AnnaS 06-12-2013 07:35 PM

Yes, my son just got an email too (my email address).

AnnaS 06-12-2013 07:36 PM

Does DCL hold you to your boarding time?

We have not cruised since 2007. This is the first time I checked in on-line and picked a boarding time. Are they pretty strict with the time chosen?

luv2sleep 06-12-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnaS (Post 48667854)
We have not cruised since 2007. This is the first time I checked in on-line and picked a boarding time. Are they pretty strict with the time chosen?

I think you are on the wrong thread maybe?

barbja99 06-12-2013 07:48 PM

I didn't get an email. We have two spa treatments booked on the Wonder: a facial and a pedicure.

Do you think that they just haven't gotten to everyone yet, or is it perhaps one of the contracts with a specific ship?

If I get the email, I'm canceling. Its not like i booked manis for a party of 10.

AnnaS 06-12-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 48667871)
I think you are on the wrong thread maybe?

LOL - no wonder I could not find the thread. I thought I was losing my mind - not sure what I did. Thanks.