The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dream vs. Magic in February (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124852)

rustyanchor 06-10-2013 01:52 PM

Hi everyone, I'm planning/getting ready to book my first Disney cruise for Feb. 2014. I have read that it's fairly common for ships to not be able to dock at Castaway Cay during that time of year due to the weather, but that supposedly the Dream is better able to dock than the Magic? Can anyone tell me if this is true? I am trying to decide between those two ships right now, so I'd like to get as much info as possible. The biggest draw for me with the Magic was it not having as many people (which I've read can make a big difference when you are at CC), but if we can't even dock then that won't really matter, will it? :confused3 Thanks for any input... as someone who is new to Disney Cruises, I am feeling a little in over my head right now while trying to research!

bobbiwoz 06-10-2013 01:57 PM

If you want feedback, I've only been on the Dream in January and we did dock into CC. I have to say that I do prefer the smaller ships.

dandjfla 06-10-2013 01:58 PM

I've only been on the Dream (March) so I really can't answer your question, however if you decide to book the 2/3/14 cruise on the Magic then come join our group :) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48436505 So far the cruise is VERY quiet...only myself and two or three other people have checked in so far! pirate:

Fantasiesabound 06-10-2013 02:04 PM

I'm on the Magic in February (switched from the Dream).

I think, and it's only a guess, that hurricane season is when you get the docking issues more prevalently. Not February. February tends to have nice, if not a little chilly but not in comparison to December, weather.

I usually cruise in April, though, so this is supposition. I am not worried at all about docking. I am worried about water temp, but that is it.

rustyanchor 06-10-2013 02:20 PM

Thanks for the replies! I read on some websites that Dec-March is the worst time for docking at CC so that's why I asked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandjfla (Post 48644614)
I've only been on the Dream (March) so I really can't answer your question, however if you decide to book the 2/3/14 cruise on the Magic then come join our group :) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=48436505 So far the cruise is VERY quiet...only myself and two or three other people have checked in so far! pirate:

Thanks. :) I will most likely be cruising later in the month... but depending on rates it's possible I'll end up going that early. I will just have to see!

I just saw the other Dream vs. magic thread so I'm going to have to check that one out too. It sounds like the Magic might have more benefits for adults only travelers (it's just me and my BF cruising) in addition to the smaller size, so I'm leaning that way right now.

su_A_ve 06-10-2013 02:51 PM

Can't say much about docking of the classic ships vs the newer ones, however, it is true that CC will have more people ashore with a bigger ship.

But unless you are going during high season, or holiday, the difference might not be that much.

I've been on CC in August (Dream double dip). Ship was 3/4 full, but there was PLENTY of shade, lounge chairs, umbrellas, places to eat, etc.

rustyanchor 06-13-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by su_A_ve (Post 48645170)
Can't say much about docking of the classic ships vs the newer ones, however, it is true that CC will have more people ashore with a bigger ship.

But unless you are going during high season, or holiday, the difference might not be that much.

I've been on CC in August (Dream double dip). Ship was 3/4 full, but there was PLENTY of shade, lounge chairs, umbrellas, places to eat, etc.

Good to hear because I ended up booking the Dream! WOOHOO! I had pretty much decided on the Magic but then I talked to a coworker who has been on the Dream and couldn't say enough good things about it (which, to be fair, he hasn't been on the Magic and said he's sure the Magic is great too). But with it being our first Disney cruise, the Dream just seemed like it might be nicer, plus the prices for a stateroom w/verandah were actually cheaper than the Magic's for the week we are going!

I am soooo excited... I was in the middle of planning our WDW trip w/friends for September, but now I have gotten completely sidetracked with cruise excitement. :cool1:

The only thing I am not thrilled about is Nassau. I'm considering just staying on the ship that day so that we can fully enjoy it (we are only doing a 3-night so won't have an "at sea" day). Or maybe we will just tour for a couple of hours then get back on the ship.

:beach:

love5pets 06-13-2013 01:54 PM

I read the itinerary for our 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Magic and it appears the Dream will be at CC the same day we're there.

Is it normal to have two ship on the island the same day? Seems very crowded.

bats 06-13-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love5pets (Post 48674247)
I read the itinerary for our 5 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Magic and it appears the Dream will be at CC the same day we're there.

Is it normal to have two ship on the island the same day? Seems very crowded.

They have printed wrong I guess as only 1 ship can dock at CC each day.

love5pets 06-13-2013 02:13 PM

thanks...that's good to know.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.