The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   W.I.S.H (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Early, Early morning workouts (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3122680)

SLP958 06-05-2013 07:40 PM

Early, Early morning workouts

Hi, I have never posted on this board before but I am hoping y'all can give some suggestions.

I am having to change my workout routine because of work, kids, scheduling reasons. The only time I have to work out is 4 am!

I am used to working out right after work around 4 pm. This change is tough. Just getting out of bed feels impossible then I get nauseated after about 30 min no matter what kind of exercise I am doing.

It has been 3 weeks and I have only managed about 5 workouts. I am really missing my exercise.

Any suggestions? Will it get better?

Haas4Concern 06-05-2013 10:24 PM

I feel your pain. I work a swing shift. So for 7 days a month i do my workouts at 4:30 am. I would guess you will get into a routine and it will get easier. Just make sure youre going to bed early enough. Good luck

mrsdrake625 06-05-2013 11:02 PM

Sometimes running "on empty" makes me sick too. I will eat a banana if I think I need some fuel and that has seemed to work. No coffee until I'm back. Full glass of water and take some more. Those things have seemed to help.

It's a tough transition but once it becomes habit it feels sooo good. I miss it. Now you have inspired me, I need to start getting up early again!! Thanks :)

BuckeyeBama 06-06-2013 04:46 AM

When I worked downtown, I had to do my workouts at 4:30. I never had a problem, but I went to bed at 8:30 every night. I sometimes ran 10+ miles those mornings. Maybe you are not going to bed early enough?

Rose&Mike 06-06-2013 06:53 AM

I would make sure you are warming up and not just going full throttle a few minutes after waking up. I have a lot of trouble with nausea and exercising, but for me it is a salt/electrolyte imbalance. I wonder if a piece of dry toast or some pretzels before you start would help? Your stomach might not like being empty, but I know that personally I don't do well with anything that has a lot of flavor in the morning before working out.

I hope it improves for you.:goodvibes

SLP958 06-06-2013 11:50 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I may have to try having something to eat before starting.

Today, I was discussing this with a co worker who does am workouts. She is going to start texting me to get up! Hopefully the accountability will help.

mrsdrake625 06-06-2013 12:47 PM

Hope you feel better!

amyy 06-06-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose&Mike (Post 48606437)
I would make sure you are warming up and not just going full throttle a few minutes after waking up. I have a lot of trouble with nausea and exercising, but for me it is a salt/electrolyte imbalance. I wonder if a piece of dry toast or some pretzels before you start would help? Your stomach might not like being empty, but I know that personally I don't do well with anything that has a lot of flavor in the morning before working out.

I hope it improves for you.:goodvibes

Did you figure out the salt/electrolyte imbalance on your own? I crave salt but need a teaspoon or so of salt to feel better. Just started some electrolyte powder in my water. My doctor is aware. thanks

Rose&Mike 06-07-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyy (Post 48613074)
Did you figure out then salt/electrolyte imbalance on your own? I crave salt but need a teaspoon or so of salt to feel better. Just started some electrolyte powder in my water. My doctor is aware. thanks

I have gluten issues and originally they think mine was coming from a combination of malabsorption and just being a very heavy salt sweater. It was really bad before I gave up gluten. Now anything over an hour and I need extra salt either during or right after a run. I tried endurolytes and they didn't completely get rid of the problem especially when it's warm so lately I have been using salt packets or eating salty pretzels. They have salt/electrolyte tablets at our running store but I haven't tried those yet. I hope you feel better. The nausea is just the pits. I had a cardio check up and other than a benign irregular heart beat (which went away a couple of months after being off gluten) my heart was in good shape. I just sweat out a ridiculous amount of salt for some reason. :goodvibes