The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Formal night -- how many tuxes? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3121647)

Asnell 06-03-2013 09:44 PM

Formal night -- how many tuxes?

DH is trying to decide whether to bring his tux for formal night vs. just bringing his suit and wearing that for both semi-formal and formal night.

How many people on DCL ships go all-out with the tuxes (and full-length gowns)? We both have them but won't bring them if most people aren't that dressed up. Can someone give a rough percentage of people in suits vs. tuxes vs. something else?

cris0809 06-03-2013 09:51 PM

Depends a lot on the length of your cruise. As you say you have both semi-formal and formal night I will assume it is at least a 7 night voyage.

7-14 nighters you will see some, less than 7 you might see one only if someone goes to Remy.

If he really enjoys dressing up I would encourage him to bring it. Does he need it? No.

PrincessShmoo 06-03-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asnell (Post 48584986)
DH is trying to decide whether to bring his tux for formal night vs. just bringing his suit and wearing that for both semi-formal and formal night.

How many people on DCL ships go all-out with the tuxes (and full-length gowns)? We both have them but won't bring them if most people aren't that dressed up. Can someone give a rough percentage of people in suits vs. tuxes vs. something else?

A lot depends on the cruise. We've been on 7 night cruises (that's short for us) and DH wore his suit for formal night and just the shirt, tie, dress pants for semi-formal. Well, that's pretty much what he's worn on all our cruises for formal and semi-formal nights.

Now, I, on the other hand, have worn full length gown (with and without tiara), cocktail dress (with different accessories for formal/semi), dress black slacks with a fancy top, depending on my whim.

The longer cruises is where you'll see more of the tuxes, but there will be some on most of the 6 or 7 night and longer cruises.

dpuck1998 06-03-2013 09:54 PM

Just wear what you think will look best and you will enjoy the most. You will see people in suits, tuxs, jeans and pjs. We have done both, but love the family photos when we have tuxs.

LynseyK 06-03-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asnell (Post 48584986)

I would say just bring a nice suit. I barely if any saw men in tuxes and full length gowns. Some tables i saw were wearing short sleeve shirts and jeans. It's not strictly enforced and most people don't care. It's nice to wear suits and nice dresses but nothing too formal I would suggest again unless you were going to Remy which I went to and it was AMAZING!!!!

Asnell 06-03-2013 10:32 PM

Thanks. Ours is a 7-night Alaska cruise.

I kind of wish the cruise lines would either enforce the dress code, or not have one. I can understand that many people don't want to dress up or don't have the appropriate clothing, but it seems odd to have a dressy event where some people are vastly under-dressed. Maybe someday cruises will have a smaller dining room or a specific seating time for those who want to dress for the formal nights.

Beermam42 06-03-2013 10:38 PM

Magic Feb First Time Cruise

Only a few, I wore suit and GS blazer, GD and ladies dress up. Formal night. Slacks and short sleeve shirt all other nights for me. 6 night.

hamm1207 06-04-2013 12:12 AM

We go all out. My husband brings his tux (with Mickey vest and bow tie) and I'll wear a gown.

dpuck1998 06-04-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asnell (Post 48585368)
Thanks. Ours is a 7-night Alaska cruise.

I kind of wish the cruise lines would either enforce the dress code, or not have one. I can understand that many people don't want to dress up or don't have the appropriate clothing, but it seems odd to have a dressy event where some people are vastly under-dressed. Maybe someday cruises will have a smaller dining room or a specific seating time for those who want to dress for the formal nights.

On a 7 night you will see a lot more tuxs for sure, but don't let people undressed bother you. It is much more of an issue on the boards than on this ship. Honestly I barely noticed what anyone else was wearing other than most of the people that were dressed up are out in the lobby for photos.

OKW Lover 06-04-2013 07:19 AM

We were just on the 14-night Panama Canal cruise and I didn't see a single tux during that time.

As Don says, its a wide range of styles and it doesn't seem like anybody really cares outside of the DIS.

amejiajr8 06-04-2013 07:23 AM

Thinking of going suit ,nice dress shirt ,& no tie.

beach baby 06-04-2013 07:30 AM

I agree with dpuck. Don't let those who don't participate affect your decision or enthusiasm to participate. I just did my first 7 day cruise and had concerns about gowns/tuxes being in the minority. What I found was that dressing up overall and looking nice was the majority. If you go straight to the dining room you may not notice how many tuxes and gowns there are but if you go to the lobby before dinner for pictures or just to enjoy the atmosphere and music, you'll be pleasantly reassured that you aren't the only one dressed up. We thoroughly enjoyed the evening and are glad we did the tux/gown and will definitely do it again.
I will add that a tux/gown would probably be in the extreme minority on a 3/4 day cruise. I never saw any on those. Dress up night was more like church/very nice restaurant clothes.

Magic3forme 06-04-2013 07:58 AM

I don't remember seeing too many guys in tuxes. Dh wore a button down shirt and dress pants. No jacket or tie

If you feel comfortable go for the dress clothes

I did notice the dress code was a lot more casual on the Alaskan cruise. More jeans ( but it was nights we had late port nights)

DisneyNurse19 06-04-2013 12:12 PM

I am going on a cruise on the Magic in July and will definitely be wearing a long dress, both for formal and semi formal, as i don't often get the chance to dress up :thumbsup2

Robin"D" 06-04-2013 12:45 PM

Jeff,

you weren't looking to close.....
I wore two[I bring one tux,
but two jackets/ one black formal/ on white semi formal]

I wish we got to meet on this cruise, but maybe in the future....
and in the chat room....Hope your new house is coming along

Robin

Robin & Angel "D" :thumbsup2

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKW Lover (Post 48586820)
We were just on the 14-night Panama Canal cruise and I didn't see a single tux during that time.

As Don says, its a wide range of styles and it doesn't seem like anybody really cares outside of the DIS.