The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   PACKING ADVICE: Tell me one thing you never pack, or an unusual must-pack items? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3120636)

quarkwright 06-02-2013 02:16 AM

PACKING ADVICE: Tell me one thing you never pack, or an unusual must-pack items?
 
Never cruised before. Booked for Sept 2014 - long ways away, and I am haunting these boards to keep my excitement alive.

I know there are a million threads about packing. I have seen many threads with the advice to pack less. And quite a few with advice to bring a shoe organizer, pop-up hamper, etc.

I know every cruise and every person is different, and different people will need/not need different things. So tell me what things you leave behind. Or tell me about something you make sure to pack that doesn't appear on everyone else's list.

Momma2Jax 06-02-2013 03:38 AM

Never pack: shampoo/conditioner. They have stuff in the room, and will replenish it.


Always pack: a flame less candle or another sort of nightlight for bathroom runs (and one you can take in the bathroom with you) because all of the lights will burn your eyes out in the night! Also my own flavored coffee creamer for room service or drink station coffee!

Dug720 06-02-2013 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momma2Jax (Post 48567651)
Never pack: shampoo/conditioner. They have stuff in the room, and will replenish it.


Always pack: a flame less candle or another sort of nightlight for bathroom runs (and one you can take in the bathroom with you) because all of the lights will burn your eyes out in the night! Also my own flavored coffee creamer for room service or drink station coffee!

Yes, but how good is it? If it's like the stuff in the park resorts (I've stayed in all categories there), it is HORRIBLE for my hair. Especially with all the abuse it will be taking in the new environment (salt water, wind, sun, etc.) I'm going to stick with what helps a little.

sambycat 06-02-2013 08:17 AM

The hair care and lotion products on the boat are vastly superior to those at any hotel. I have coarse hair, at most I bring along a tube of a deep leave in conditioner. This is the only vacation I've gone to that I don't bring shampoo along with!

We don't bring all theses storeage tchotchkes people write about, we seem to do just fine with the options in the room.

I always bring more than one bathing suit and a ridiculously large but super cool pirate hat that I hate dragging along but what else would you do with a big fluffy hat with feathers and a pirate ship on it?? Not many places to wear that!!

lovetotraveltx 06-02-2013 08:43 AM

Now that everyone is older and has a lot more stuff I brought along power strips. On the classic ships anyway there aren't many outlets in the cabin and the wave phone takes up one! This was the first time I did a nightlight for our inside cabin. It was the sensor kind so just left it plugged in on the desk!

Minniemiss 06-02-2013 09:04 AM

We used to pack a night light, but we have found that with the wave phone we don't need a night light. We have a wave phone on each night stand. One quick push of any button and the screen is bright enough to get you to the bathroom and back to bed.

KPetty725 06-02-2013 09:19 AM

We got a $1 foldable step stool from Hobby Lobby so my DD3 could reach the sink in the bathroom. We will never travel anywhere without it again (until she grows about a foot more, at least!). A nightlight for the bathroom is a good idea.

I agree with the PP who said the cruise shampoo is good. I also never bring beach towels as towels are readily available. We do bring clips to hold towels to our beach chairs (they sell them lots of places but ours came from Kohl's). They keep the towels from falling down and help you see your stuff from a distance. :-)

amie416 06-02-2013 09:25 AM

Based on the current "kids running in the hallway" discussion thread, I will definitely be packing my sound isolating in-ear headphones (Sennheiser SE215) - I've learned that I can fall asleep through just about any obnoxious noise as long as I put these in my ears and listen to some light music or a podcast. They're a less expensive, single-driver version of the in-ear monitors a lot of musicians performers wear on stage. For me, they're way better than earplugs. :cool1:

Mickeyhugger 06-02-2013 09:27 AM

We've never packed a power strip or a shoe organizer (never needed either one, but everyone is different.):)

We always bring a lint roller.

caribbeandreaming 06-02-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dug720 (Post 48567890)
Yes, but how good is it? If it's like the stuff in the park resorts (I've stayed in all categories there), it is HORRIBLE for my hair. Especially with all the abuse it will be taking in the new environment (salt water, wind, sun, etc.) I'm going to stick with what helps a little.

Don't get me wrong - the H20 products are great. However, I have long, thick hair and the conditioner just wasn't doing it for me especially with the abuse like you mentioned. My hair felt yucky all week, and getting back to my regular conditioner made getting off the ship a little easier to bear - lol :) I would suggest at least trying the products on the ship b/c they smell heavenly, but bring your own just in case!!

I also don't need to use frizz control at home, but it was a necessity for the cruise. My hair drove me crazy all week and never looked right.

caribbeandreaming 06-02-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quarkwright (Post 48567547)
Never cruised before. Booked for Sept 2014 - long ways away, and I am haunting these boards to keep my excitement alive.

I know there are a million threads about packing. I have seen many threads with the advice to pack less. And quite a few with advice to bring a shoe organizer, pop-up hamper, etc.

I know every cruise and every person is different, and different people will need/not need different things. So tell me what things you leave behind. Or tell me about something you make sure to pack that doesn't appear on everyone else's list.

DO PACK: frizz control for your hair - I don't need it at home but my hair was a hot mess the entire week. I live in Virginia, and the humidity in the Caribbean just doesn't even compare. Also, bring a watch or some other way to tell time. There aren't many clocks on the ship.

DON'T PACK - beach towels! I filled up half a suitcase on our first cruise with towels b/c I didn't know they were provided.

daisywithak 06-02-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribbeandreaming (Post 48568779)
Don't get me wrong - the H20 products are great. However, I have long, thick hair and the conditioner just wasn't doing it for me especially with the abuse like you mentioned. My hair felt yucky all week, and getting back to my regular conditioner made getting off the ship a little easier to bear - lol :) I would suggest at least trying the products on the ship b/c they smell heavenly, but bring your own just in case!!

I also don't need to use frizz control at home, but it was a necessity for the cruise. My hair drove me crazy all week and never looked right.

I agree! While the products are better than in most hotels, I still find that I need to bring my own. If you normally feel like you need your own, then you probably need it for the cruise too. I hate having to bring it, but I don't have a choice.

tchrrx 06-02-2013 10:35 AM

I just got off of the Fantasy yesterday. I packed a hair dryer, but didn't use it. The one in the room worked well.

Pack clothespins. They don't take up much space, and it makes hanging bathing suits up to dry much easier.

Pack a small pop-up hamper.

Don't pack towels. You don't need them.

Pack enough wire hangers to hang all of your clothes. Then, at the end of the trip, throw them away.

cypressmom 06-02-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dug720 (Post 48567890)
Yes, but how good is it? If it's like the stuff in the park resorts (I've stayed in all categories there), it is HORRIBLE for my hair. Especially with all the abuse it will be taking in the new environment (salt water, wind, sun, etc.) I'm going to stick with what helps a little.

M own conditioner is a must. I wash my hair with conditioner, use a leave in and even use it when shaving. I am very picky about what I do and don't put on my hair.

lovetotraveltx 06-02-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchrrx (Post 48569131)
I just got off of the Fantasy yesterday. I packed a hair dryer, but didn't use it. The one in the room worked well.

Pack clothespins. They don't take up much space, and it makes hanging bathing suits up to dry much easier.

Pack a small pop-up hamper.

Don't pack towels. You don't need them.

Pack enough wire hangers to hang all of your clothes. Then, at the end of the trip, throw them away.

If you are on a classic ship, you need a blow dryer. Otherwise, it is very weak one attached to the wall in bathroom!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.