The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Knock off bags in Nassau? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3120380)

mandykaye 06-01-2013 02:45 PM

Knock off bags in Nassau?

Where do you get them? What's the name of the shop?

Gigi22 06-01-2013 03:13 PM

According to the information I got from a friend who lives in Nassau, knock-off bags purchased by tourists returning to the U.S. are being confiscated by U.S. Customs. I believe my friend said there was a fine too. This is relatively recent, years ago they used to ignore knock-offs. Now, not so.

Turbanator 06-01-2013 03:21 PM

Yep be careful not to use one for your hand luggage and have them packed away on your way back or you may loose them ;)

As for where to get them, if your like my shopaholic wife you'll soon find them when you get over there along with the other fakes and such ;)

lovetotraveltx 06-01-2013 03:25 PM

In 2010 we didn't have a problem. You get them at the straw market. They sell tons!

Mickeyhugger 06-01-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi22 (Post 48563429)
This is relatively recent, years ago they used to ignore knock-offs. Now, not so.

This must have been VERY recent, as in March 2013, they weren't confiscated, and were still ignored.

Plaid Princess 06-01-2013 05:19 PM

Interesting... this is my usual souvenier in Nassau and I've never had a problem bringing one in. Although I usually carry mine off the ship, so perhaps they're getting pulled out of luggage? :confused3

mandykaye 06-01-2013 05:21 PM

I never knew they confiscated them?

Gigi22 06-01-2013 05:34 PM

Well, my friend's husband is a lawyer, his practice is in Nassau--so I have to take their word for it. Now, your mileage may vary, but is a cheap purse worth it to you?

oliverdj 06-01-2013 06:09 PM

Why would this be an issue? Buying a knock off bag? Confused :/

zippingalong 06-01-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverdj (Post 48564760)

Because they are illegal. The designers are being robbed with every fake sold. I know in NYC that if you are caught buying a fake bag, the fine is the cost of the actual designer bag. That can be hefty.

mandykaye 06-01-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi22 (Post 48564544)
Well, my friend's husband is a lawyer, his practice is in Nassau--so I have to take their word for it. Now, your mileage may vary, but is a cheap purse worth it to you?

Then why do they still let the venders in the straw market sell them?

Gigi22 06-01-2013 06:51 PM

Well, my best bet is that the question gets into both politics and economics. I think that from the viewpoint of the Bahamas, they don't have the resources to ensure that tourists going back to the U.S. (or through the U.S.) adhere to American laws. And, selling products to tourists in the straw market stimulates the Bahamian economy. As I understand it, it is only the tourists returning to the U.S. who get into trouble. So, not a problem for the Bahamas.

mandykaye 06-01-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi22 (Post 48565102)
Well, my best bet is that the question gets into both politics and economics. I think that from the viewpoint of the Bahamas, they don't have the resources to ensure that tourists going back to the U.S. (or through the U.S.) adhere to American laws. And, selling products to tourists in the straw market stimulates the Bahamian economy. As I understand it, it is only the tourists returning to the U.S. who get into trouble. So, not a problem for the Bahamas.

Oh okay, I was thinking it was illegal in Nassau from your earlier post about your friend being a lawyer in Nassau.

MomTo3PrincessesInNJ 06-01-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverdj (Post 48564760)

Here's CBPs prohibited items information:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...ightedArticles

Will everyone get caught? Of course not. But handbags are specifically mentioned so I wouldn't chance it.

insureman 06-01-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandykaye (Post 48564870)
Then why do they still let the venders in the straw market sell them?

We were at the Straw Market in April and there were no bags anywhere. A vendor there said they weren't allowed to sell them anymore.