The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Ordered our Sea Safe!! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3117469)

Forever a Princess 05-26-2013 07:24 PM

Ordered our Sea Safe!!

I ordered our Sea Safe today for our upcoming cruise.

A few years ago I took the advice of Disboard members and purchased Sea Safe for our cruise. We've used it several times prior and have not gotten jelly stings or sea lice.

Thanks Disers!!:cool1:

Castillo Mom 05-26-2013 07:33 PM

Thank you so much for posting this! I had completely forgotten about it and didn't buy any for our last cruise in June. I'll add to to my shopping list for our next cruise.:)

lillykat 05-26-2013 07:52 PM

Ok I have to ask I haven't said d on disney but have taken about 15 cruises. What is sea safe? I have never had jelly stings or sea lice issues. Is it an issue on castaway cay?

PrincessShmoo 05-26-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillykat (Post 48508974)
Ok I have to ask I haven't said d on disney but have taken about 15 cruises. What is sea safe? I have never had jelly stings or sea lice issues. Is it an issue on castaway cay?

Some people have concerns about this. We've only been to CC twice and haven't had a problem. Maybe it's seasonal?

PrettyPrincessJen 05-26-2013 08:14 PM

We were just on castaway and the lifeguard said they were just coming upon sea lice season and sure enough my husband saw a cloud of jellies far out in the snorkeling lagoon. I got a small sting later in the day in another area. We purchased jellyfish squish. It's an after-sting product but it worked like a champ. The sting only burned for a few seconds and then it was gone.

lillykat 05-26-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrettyPrincessJen
We were just on castaway and the lifeguard said they were just coming upon sea lice season and sure enough my husband saw a cloud of jellies far out in the snorkeling lagoon. I got a small sting later in the day in another area. We purchased jellyfish squish. It's an after-sting product but it worked like a champ. The sting only burned for a few seconds and then it was gone.

Thank you. Never had that issue. Is it just May or year round?

disneyfan888 05-26-2013 08:56 PM

It's seasonal. there are a couple of threads that describe specific times. I remember reading about the summer and early fall as some of the worst for the sea lice and stings. While we have never had a problem in the beach areas, we bought some sea safe just in case because it seems to be worse at Pelican's Plunge. We have not gone to that area since it opened, but will be doing so in our upcoming June cruise. Better safe than sorry. I remember reading about people who get sea lice trapped in their bathing suits and we do not want to have to deal with bites and stings.

PrettyPrincessJen 05-26-2013 09:25 PM

Pelican Plunge was where I got stung. I was hanging out in the water waiting for my daughter for about 15 mins. Thankfully nobody else had issues.

ibcrazie4dizney 05-26-2013 11:08 PM

is aug a bad time for this? how do you use sea safe? it is applied like sunscreen? can it be used with sunscreen?

Bunchof0rz 05-27-2013 01:41 AM

Thank you for the heads up! I had no idea.

Princess Denise 05-27-2013 01:50 AM

Where can I buy it? Is it called safe sea or sea safe?

Forever a Princess 05-28-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Castillo Mom (Post 48508816)
Thank you so much for posting this! I had completely forgotten about it and didn't buy any for our last cruise in June. I'll add to to my shopping list for our next cruise.:)

:cool1::banana:

Forever a Princess 05-28-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillykat (Post 48508974)

On two cruises we have had cruisers that were near to us in the Castaway Cay snorkel lagoon encounter jelly stings. One guys leg was really red when he got out of the water and he was complaining about the sting. I just remember thinking "thank goodness the disers recommended the Sea Safe."

I have read from other Disers that the Pelican plunge area has had problems with the sea lice.

Forever a Princess 05-28-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 48509117)
Some people have concerns about this. We've only been to CC twice and haven't had a problem. Maybe it's seasonal?

I'm not an expert on this one. Other Disers seems to report that the season for this is early summer and fall time.

What I can say is that we've encountered the jellies in May and then June.

supercrossfox21 05-28-2013 07:33 PM

Where you can buy the stuff? Walmart, target, online? We are going the end of September to St Marteen, St. Thomas, and CC. Dont really plan on swimming out to far in the water at any of the places, but have been stung by a jelly fish in jamaica and it hurt, left rings all up and down my leg. More concerned about the fleas!!

Thanks for your help