The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   is there a kind of unspoken snobbery between resorts? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3115959)

married2mm 05-23-2013 11:48 AM

is there a kind of unspoken snobbery between resorts?
 
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?:)

sydneysmom 05-23-2013 11:50 AM

I've never noticed anything like that....we've stayed at a few of the mods and at the GF. All the CM's seem very helpful and very pleasant.

wilkeliza 05-23-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by married2mm (Post 48479198)
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?:)

I don't think it is unspoken. It is simple fact that the Grand Floridian is a better resort than the All Stars. I would sometimes tell people who were staying at the Poly how jealous I was and that it was a great place to watch the fireworks. I wouldn't get into too much detailed conversation if someone told me they were staying at an All Star. I might ask which one but not much beyond that.

minnie mum 05-23-2013 11:53 AM

I've never noticed this from CMs. I would think that 99% of them are much too professional to do something so crass.

As for guests- of course it happens. You really can't expect that every guest has the class or consideration to avoid turning up their noses at the mention of value resorts. Unfortunate, but that's life. Just ignore it if it happens; those types of people aren't worth being bothered about.

married2mm 05-23-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minnie mum (Post 48479253)
I've never noticed this from CMs. I would think that 99% of them are much too professional to do something so crass.

As for guests- of course it happens. You really can't expect that every guest has the class or consideration to avoid turning up their noses at the mention of value resorts. Unfortunate, but that's life. Just ignore it if it happens; those types of people aren't worth being bothered about.

That's good to hear about cms.

And the guests you describe in your last sentence- so true minnie mum,not worth the time of day.:goodvibes

tinkermommyof3 05-23-2013 12:31 PM

We've only stayed Moderate, i.e. POR and Deluxe (including GF). We are a family of 5. We don't get into the battle of the classes. Think it is ridiculous. We choose our resort based on the type of vacation we like, comfort and what we can afford. We know several people who have huge incomes and great financial success that choose to stay at value resorts. They are just frugal by nature. We also know many people that live beyond their means and vacation beyond their means giving a different impression. No one should judge anyone. You really don't know anyone's back story. We just focus on ourselves and enjoy your own vacation. We have not noticed this snobbery specifically at different resorts. On occasion, we have noticed it staying Club Level which with think is ridiculous. We have paid less for Club Level at times than a Standard Room:thumbsup2:goodvibes

Pakey 05-23-2013 12:39 PM

I've stayed in all ranges--from GF RPC on the Platinum Plan to Pop in a standard room. I've never noticed any differences in the resort guests or in how I was treated by CMs.

Mousemommy1 05-23-2013 12:41 PM

I've stayed at all levels and never noticed different levels of perceived "snobbery". :confused3

ClareH37 05-23-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pakey (Post 48479713)
I've stayed in all ranges--from GF RPC on the Platinum Plan to Pop in a standard room. I've never noticed any differences in the resort guests or in how I was treated by CMs.

Same here :thumbsup2

considering a lot of guests take advantage of decent discounts/PINs/etc to stay in the deluxe resorts there's certainly no need to assume someone is 'better' because they're staying at a certain resort. I've stayed at moderates and deluxes (often without a discount) as I'm in the UK and even with a general discount the rate of exchange hasn't always made it beneficial, I've ended up paying more to stay in a moderate than friends who had a discount to stay in a deluxe.

wilkeliza 05-23-2013 12:57 PM

I shouldn't have said unspoken snobbery but I was pointing out that in conversation I have much more to talk to them about if they are staying at a certain resort. I love Pop and share that with people when they are staying there or talk about the beauty of Poly or GF. There are also resorts I know nothing about and others I just would have no clue how to talk about even though I've stayed there. I don't find the All Stars particularly great so I know the different areas but wouldn't rave about the views or anything. So I guess not snobbery but different topics of conversation.

Marthasor 05-23-2013 01:14 PM

I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.

Wood Nymph 05-23-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthasor (Post 48480044)
I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.

I thought the credit card limits are set by the guests. I thought that I was asked at check in if I wanted to set a limit on my charges.

Maybe I am misremembering this. :confused3

Kay1 05-23-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthasor (Post 48480044)
I don't know if I would call it snobbery, but I was taken aback last June when we stayed in an AoA suite and I had attached my CC to my KTTW for charging privileges. We ate at CP and I gave my KTTW to our server to pay the bill. He then came back to tell me there was a problem with the charge and I needed to speak with someone on the phone. I then had to go back to the kitchen and ok the charge - it was very embarrassing. It was then I learned Disney has set a limit on the amount you can charge to your room based on what category of resort you are staying in - apparently it's $500 for values (even family suites for which you are paying close to deluxe prices), $1000 for moderates and $1500 for deluxe. So it may not be advert snobbery, but Disney is making assumptions about our economic wherewithal based on the category of resort we are staying in.

I have to say, you raise an interesting point.

cheer25mom 05-23-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wood Nymph (Post 48480295)
I thought the credit card limits are set by the guests. I thought that I was asked at check in if I wanted to set a limit on my charges.

Maybe I am misremembering this. :confused3

Not in the 5 years we have been going. It has always been based on the level of resort. WE were at AoA last trip and had to have it charged to the credit card mid trip.

DznyCrzy11 05-23-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by married2mm
By both guests and cms?

Extreme case-
but say you're staying at all stars -"that's great "says cm.
Staying at grand floridian-"how wonderful "says another.

Anyone had any experience of this?:)

Nope, never had this experience. My DH and I have stayed value, moderate, and deluxe and have never heard or seen this from guests or cm's.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.