The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Another Help Me Decide which Resort Post (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3115047)

cme37 05-21-2013 04:27 PM

Another Help Me Decide which Resort Post

I'm thinking of going in early Oct for youngest ds' bday. The last few times we have gone we stayed at Beach Club, which I love, but it is sold out. Actually most all of the Deluxe Hotels are sold out because of some IT convention going on.

So now I'm trying to decide between these three choices:

1. Wilderness Lodge-a room with bunk beds
2. French Quarter-we have stayed here before and I like that it is small
2. Cornado Springs-never have stayed here but I heard it was the moderate closest to Deluxe
2. Art of Animation-a family suite

It will be me, my two ds, and my mom. Dh can't go because of work.

I'm not really sure I want to sleep in the same bed as my mom and I know my boys won't want to. They are 13 and one will be turning 10. I was thinking the bunk beds would be nice because my mom could sleep in the bottom bunk, one boy in the top and one with me. Or can you get a cot too?

I really like French Quarter, but that would require us sleeping in the same bed.

Cornado Springs looks really nice, but I don't know much about it.

Then I saw the Art of Animation Family Suites and thought that would be really good for us. I've never stayed at the value resorts. Is transportation to the parks slow from there? I got spoiled at Beach Club. lol! I'm going to miss walking into Epcot, our favorite park.

Keeping costs down is alway good, but the price difference between the three isn't a deal breaker. I like the idea of the family suite at Art of Animation, but having never stayed at the values, I don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

Wood Nymph 05-21-2013 04:32 PM

BC definitely spoils people. We have stayed there many times but decided to try the WL in February. We loved the resort. It has one thing that BC is missing, a real counter service restaurant. The boat to MK is great. We really missed not being able to walk into Epcot, but this is a great option if you still want to stay with a deluxe resort at a lower price.

vicb224 05-21-2013 05:42 PM

I think the cost of 2 connecting ( request only) rooms at POR or POFQ is cheaper than one Value Suite. I got spoiled also, and worked my way UP from Values...personally, if price wasn't that much of an issue I wouldn't go back.
I think they are great for young kids, though.
I would get 2 rooms at POR if it were me, in the Alligator Bayou section. They have 2 queens and a pull out trundle type bed, large enough for your youngest. That way, if you don't get the connecting request, you "can" let Mom have her own room and you and the boys still have separate beds in another.
Hope this helps.

ps Have you thought about the Swan or Dolphin? I think they have suites

msmileyface 05-21-2013 05:46 PM

The Swan has adjoining rooms (not sure about suites but I think they have those, too). It's like a deluxe resort but at a moderate price. Beyond convenient in terms of location.

cme37 05-21-2013 06:09 PM

The Swan and Dolphin are sold out. Just about every deluxe is because of this IT conference. The only deluxe I can find that still has reasonable rooms left is the Wilderness. I would look at different dates but the whole reason we are going is for his 10th birthday. And even though the hotels are sold out, the crowd calendars show really low levels for that time.

I will definitely check out the joining rooms. How do I get price quotes on those? Do I have to call or can I find out online?

vicb224 05-21-2013 07:11 PM

I "think" you can reserve 2 rooms online. You didn't used to be able to and I would just do a separate quote for each ( 1 room with one adult and one room with 1 adl 2 children ) and add the prices together.
I really think you'd be happier there than a value suite. And if you get a preferred room in alligator bayou, you'll be close to the food court and pool.
POR really is a nice resort.

I know you have most likely checked, but are all the villas sold out, too?

vicb224 05-21-2013 07:26 PM

I did a quick search for 10/4-10/11 and OKW has a one bedroom avail that has 1 King Bed and 1 Queen-Size Sleeper Sofa and 1 Twin-Size Sleeper Chair. Could you sleep with your mom if it was a king sized bed?
( that would prob be the only way I could)

alice99 05-21-2013 07:38 PM

We stayed at Coronado Springs a few years ago ,,, we were very unhappy there.
The rooms were barely Holiday Inn quality. I could not believe I paid 160.00 per night for that crummy room.
In addition the resort is huge and impersonal.

That was the only moderate we have ever stayed at, and if it's any indication of the quality of a moderate resort, that is pretty bad.

Maybe try renting points and stay at OKW, the one bedroom units are huge and beautiful. It would probably end up being cheaper than your other options.

Disneyaddictz 05-21-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice99 (Post 48464568)
The rooms were barely Holiday Inn quality. I could not believe I paid 160.00 per night for that crummy room.

That was the only moderate we have ever stayed at, and if it's any indication of the quality of a moderate resort, that is pretty bad.

Maybe try renting points and stay at OKW, the one bedroom units are huge and beautiful. It would probably end up being cheaper than your other options.

I'm so sorry to hear your experience at Coronado springs, even though I haven't stayed there and can't compare I can say that I have heard some of those similar complaints, big, spread out and impersonal. Now on the flip side I can say without hesitation that you cannot rule out the others :) I hope you don't anyways lol. Port orleans riverside was sooo nice, It felt like I was walking around a deluxe! I stayed at the royal guest rooms and ill say I felt guilt leading up to arrival, i wasn't sure if I had made a mistake spending so much more money than usual for a room.... The family was so excited and it was so worth it! I only wished I had stayed a little longer to enjoy all the amenities. Fort wilderness cabins are also under mod and I love love love staying there! Good luck!

Cotillard 05-21-2013 07:56 PM

I would not count on a cot in those small WL rooms, although that resort would be my first choice.
Sounds like AoA might be your best bet, space-wise.
Keep in mind, however, that BC could easily become available for your dates. Keep checking :)

PolyLover 05-21-2013 08:01 PM

The bunk beds at WL are for kids, they aren't full length beds. I can't remember the suggested max age but an adult would not be comfy.

For the record I like Coronado Springs (hate Car Beach tho). It's not amazing but I like the theming and the pool is nice. Of course my heart is at the Polynesian!

KatMark 05-21-2013 08:21 PM

We have stayed at the Coronado 10 times and find nothing Holiday Inn at all about it. It's a beautiful resort and we've enjoyed each and every stay except our last one in December; and that was no fault of the resort, it was the rude and ignorant Pop Warner people. The new rooms are beautiful, the landscaping is gorgeous. Is it large? Absolutely; but I've had a longer walk from my room at AKL Kidani to the pool than I ever have from the furthest room at the Coronado to the main building.

darkwing818 05-22-2013 07:59 AM

We love the Beach Club, we'll be there this June after our Disney cruise. But we also like PORFQ, love the beignets. ::yes::
I'm assuming the Broadwalk Inn is booked based on your comments, otherwise that would be my alternative to the Beach Club.

cme37 05-22-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alice99 (Post 48464568)

I guess I don't understand the renting points. Whenever I look at this option, it always appears to be more expensive to me. What am I doing wrong?

TigrLvsPooh 05-22-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cme37 (Post 48463032)
I'm thinking of going in early Oct for youngest ds' bday. The last few times we have gone we stayed at Beach Club, which I love, but it is sold out. Actually most all of the Deluxe Hotels are sold out because of some IT convention going on.

So now I'm trying to decide between these three choices:

1. Wilderness Lodge-a room with bunk beds
2. French Quarter-we have stayed here before and I like that it is small
2. Cornado Springs-never have stayed here but I heard it was the moderate closest to Deluxe
2. Art of Animation-a family suite

It will be me, my two ds, and my mom. Dh can't go because of work.

I'm not really sure I want to sleep in the same bed as my mom and I know my boys won't want to. They are 13 and one will be turning 10. I was thinking the bunk beds would be nice because my mom could sleep in the bottom bunk, one boy in the top and one with me. Or can you get a cot too?

I really like French Quarter, but that would require us sleeping in the same bed.

Cornado Springs looks really nice, but I don't know much about it.

Then I saw the Art of Animation Family Suites and thought that would be really good for us. I've never stayed at the value resorts. Is transportation to the parks slow from there? I got spoiled at Beach Club. lol! I'm going to miss walking into Epcot, our favorite park.

Keeping costs down is alway good, but the price difference between the three isn't a deal breaker. I like the idea of the family suite at Art of Animation, but having never stayed at the values, I don't know what to expect.

Thanks!

I think it would be fun to try a family suite. And that solves the problem with nobody wanting to sleep together. Plus it will be cheaper than getting 2 rooms. :)