The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Orlando Sentinel story about "inappropriate fondling" on the Dream (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3114561)

dskib 05-20-2013 05:30 PM

Orlando Sentinel story about "inappropriate fondling" on the Dream

Ugh. I hope this turns out to be untrue. We just got back and I was so pleased with the Dream that I told everyone! I never let my son stay someplace where I don't know the people and felt really confident in Disney.

Quote:
By Hal Boedeker, Staff writer
3:13 pm, May 20, 2013
On the 11 p.m. Monday news, WKMG-Channel 6 will deliver a shocking report about a Disney Cruise Line employee fondling an 11-year-old girl and the strange events that followed.

The segment was not planned for the May ratings period. Tony Pipitone just got the story last week and worked quickly to turn it around, WKMG news director Steve Hyvonen said Monday afternoon.

"Last week we did a report on cruise crime that showed crimes on cruise ships often are not prosecuted by federal authorities," Pipitone said. "As a result of that investigation, it kind of shook the tree. This is one of the things that fell out of that tree."

WKMG has video of a Disney Cruise Line employee groping an 11-year-old girl in August 2012 before the Disney Dream departed Port Canaveral. Disney knew what happened, but didn't report the crime until the next day, after the ship was on its way to the Bahamas.

wcw57 05-20-2013 05:40 PM

really really not good!

i mean really

to the core:(:furious::scared1:

RGLakatos 05-20-2013 06:01 PM

Good Evening!!

Although the story might be true please understand this....

The Orlando Sentinel is a newspaper I would NEVER base any type of truth on; I live in Orlando and this is the worst newspaper we have around here....although there are very few newspapers here in Orlando this is, by far, the largest and worst for writing correct information and not leaving out information. I know MANY high school students who write for the Orlando Sentinel so don't be amazed if they do not tell the entire story.

Second, Channel 6 is by far the worst news channel there is in Orlando. Tony Pipitone has been at numerous channels in Orlando and other markets....there is a reason why he gets tossed around like garbage....he, frankly, is a garbage commentator, writer and investigator.

There might me some truth to this but as well all know things like this do happen from time to time.....just try not believing the newspapers or television stations here in Orlando....they are the worst sources of information that we have in Orlando.

KashasMom 05-20-2013 06:06 PM

??? If the story IS true, does it really matter who reports it?

ThePhantomsGirl 05-20-2013 06:13 PM

Edited because I do wonder why something that happened in August 2012 is now getting reported. Could be true, could be conjecture for ratings. Don't know.

dizzyr 05-20-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGLakatos (Post 48453450)
Good Evening!!

Although the story might be true please understand this....

The Orlando Sentinel is a newspaper I would NEVER base any type of truth on; I live in Orlando and this is the worst newspaper we have around here....although there are very few newspapers here in Orlando this is, by far, the largest and worst for writing correct information and not leaving out information. I know MANY high school students who write for the Orlando Sentinel so don't be amazed if they do not tell the entire story.

Second, Channel 6 is by far the worst news channel there is in Orlando. Tony Pipitone has been at numerous channels in Orlando and other markets....there is a reason why he gets tossed around like garbage....he, frankly, is a garbage commentator, writer and investigator.

There might me some truth to this but as well all know things like this do happen from time to time.....just try not believing the newspapers or television stations here in Orlando....they are the worst sources of information that we have in Orlando.

My first experience with the Orlando Sentinel was when the little guy Chase almost drowned and I was searching the internet for updates that may be more accurate than I was reading on the Dis. I came across a couple of articles from the Sentinel and thought great it must be accurate - imagine my surprise to see direct quotes from the Dis in the article. Turns out they were searching on the internet for info as well! LOL

dizzyr 05-20-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashasMom (Post 48453488)
??? If the story IS true, does it really matter who reports it?

I think the PP point may have been if it's reported by those two sources only then the story may not be accurate. Basically the "know your source" idea.

MinnesotaMouseketeers 05-20-2013 07:07 PM

Even if the story is untrue, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Even on a Disney cruise ship; you should be telling your child/ren what to watch out for. Sad, but true. Let's hope this article is false.

SnowWhite2 05-20-2013 08:20 PM

I find it odd that it is from August and just coming out to be reported. Plus if I had video of my 11 yo being molested by a DCL cast member, I would have hired a lawyer before I got back to the states and had him arrested as soon as we got back to PC. (If my DH didn't take him out first ;) )

From my dealings with DCL and my teen, DCL doesn't easily take responsibility for their staff's inappropriate behavior. I'm sure there is more to this story and it will come out shortly.

carpenta 05-20-2013 08:32 PM

......."just the facts ma'm".........Joe Friday.........good advice to live (and post) by.......;)

pyramid2000 05-20-2013 09:00 PM

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/children/

The publisher of this site seems to be interested in following this story to see what actually happened. "Jim Walker is a maritime lawyer who has attended seven Congressional hearing on issues of cruise ship crime, passenger disappearances..."

justmestace 05-20-2013 09:16 PM

A video clip of a preview of the news story that will appear on TV tonight.

I understand from reading the article why this is just now hitting the news....because it said that during an investigation for a story on cruise ship crime, this particular story showed up, and it had apparently previously been either "hushed" or just not noticed. I'm always surprised at how many people just won't believe that anything like this could happen on a Disney ship or in the Disney Parks.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/vid...i/-/index.html

flyinglizard 05-20-2013 11:31 PM

Wow! Just saw the report and the video and documents on the channel 6 report. The incident was immediately reported to Disney but they delayed calling local authorities till the ship sailed. Once the ship reached the Bahamas, the perv was put on a plane back to India. Seems like everything was just swept under the rug till they were out of U.S. jurisdiction. Not very magical for that little girl or her family...

justmestace 05-21-2013 12:09 AM

DISGUSTING. Especially because Disney is supposed to be all about family...and they covered it up and helped a criminal escape. Disgusting.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/dis...z/-/index.html

Silverfox97 05-21-2013 12:18 AM

I'm not defending Disney AT ALL. I have a daughter and I would not want her touched.

However. Did some digging. Family didn't want to press charges. She's a Brazilian gal; not sure about family. Story seems witch-hunt like - where is the source/why bring up now if it happened in Aug.? When the crew member (Head Server) was identified at 4:48pm, the ship is already pulling away. That is when the positive ID was made by the dining room manager.

Disney is not a buncha idiots. Lawyers vet every single move they make, every action they take. I imagine their internal security did their investigation first, which would happen at WDW as well (yes, I realize that DCL is flagged in the Bahamas).

There's something off about this investigation.... And yes, I'd say that regardless if what cruise line it was reported on!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards