The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help me find prepaid Virgin phone cards at WDW (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3113689)

PinkMagnolia 05-19-2013 07:23 AM

Help me find prepaid Virgin phone cards at WDW

I live in Canada, and don't want to turn on my Smartphone in the US because of roaming charge surprises. In March 2012 DH and I bought cheap ($10 each!) Virgin flip phones from Wal Mart with prepaid phone cards. They totally met our needs as far as DH and I being able to locate each other in the parks.

For our upcoming trip to WDW I need new prepaid cards -- Can I find them anywhere at WDW? Maybe at Downown Disney? Also, does anyone know if these phones expire in any way? Like I said, the last time I used them was in March 2012.

We will be flying out of Buffalo, so it would be possible to get there a bit earlier to head to a US Wal Mart there to sort it out, but if I knew that there were cards at WDW, it would save me a lot of hassle.

Thanks -- I tried calling Virgin abut got nowhere :confused: and the phones will power up, but I can't use them (even to add $$ on them) from Canada.

archrd 05-19-2013 07:39 AM

I am also from Canada and had thought about going this route as well. We used out phones on wifi with a google phone app while we were there the last time and it worked not too bad. I wonder if you could get phone cards at the Hess has station by downtown Disney. I know in Canada I have seen phone cards at gas stations.

Best Aunt 05-19-2013 08:36 AM

different question

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkMagnolia (Post 48438930)
We will be flying out of Buffalo

Maybe your question should be, "Do any of the stores in the Buffalo airport sell pre-paid cards for Virgin cell phones?"

Perhaps someone flying out of Buffalo in the near future could check it out for you.

kaytieeldr 05-19-2013 08:43 AM

X

PinkMagnolia 05-19-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Best Aunt (Post 48439437)
Maybe your question should be, "Do any of the stores in the Buffalo airport sell pre-paid cards for Virgin cell phones?"

Perhaps someone flying out of Buffalo in the near future could check it out for you.

That's what I thought at first too, but I asked this question on the Canadian Trip Board a while back, and nobody had ever seen them there :confused3

PinkMagnolia 05-19-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaytieeldr (Post 48439487)
You can (at least I can, in the United States) order Virgin Mobile Top-Up cards at Walmart.com and have your purchase (redeemable code) delivered via e-mail.

This might work - thanks - I'll investigate

sharadoc 05-19-2013 01:40 PM

Can you just go onto Virgin's website and top up? I think you need your phone number or phone serial number.

Target.com also has Virgin cards last time I looked.

aVASTGrl 05-19-2013 02:33 PM

You should be able to reload online, right? I have a UK Virgin Mobile phone, and that's how I top up when I'm over there.

bookbabe_disneynut 05-19-2013 05:10 PM

Virgin's website won't let you use a Canadian credit card to do top-ups, or at least that's been our experience.

There is a section on their website where you can put in a zip code and locate stores that sell the cards...just use the zip code for the Buffalo airport and it will tell you the closest place to get them.

aVASTGrl 05-19-2013 05:55 PM

ahh ok that sucks. If there's a Best Buy around where you'll be, they definitely have them. Targets should as well, but I really don't know if there are any of either near WDW.

kaytieeldr 05-19-2013 09:19 PM

X

PinkMagnolia 05-20-2013 06:08 AM

So, I used the feature on the Virgin website and they only list "offsite" places such as Target, etc.. in Orlando or Buffalo.

I sent a quick e-mail to both airports to see if they might have them (we'll see if the get back to me with useful information)

We are using ME, so won't have a car in Orlando - which is why this is such a hassle. We also have a 6-hour drive to the Airport (for a 3:00 pm flight) so things might be tight when we arrive in Buffalo (in case of traffic, accidents, construction etc..) which is why I wanted to sort this out before.

I will try to get to the Target in Buffalo before the flight, but if that doesn't work out for whatever reason, I suppose I'll need to taxi it to the Target/Walmart in Orlando.

Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup2

PinkMagnolia 05-20-2013 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaytieeldr (Post 48445611)
There are Target stores near WDW, bit truly, I don't think Walmart bans purchases based on the location of one's bank. I've purchased iTunes 'cards' from the website and gotten the code via e-mail.

This does seem like the simplest solution, and I truly appreciate it, but using a CDN credit card at iTunes, payphones, mobile phone websites sets off alarms at Credit Card security offices, which I want to avoid on vacation and out-of-country! I really wish I could do this, but don't want to risk the headache :thumbsup2

Rosemc2011 05-20-2013 06:18 AM

My mom used to have a prepaid virgin and she could get minutes by the phone itself with her credit card.. I guess if you can't find a card you can buy a prepaid credit card and call in.. I think they sell the phone cards at cvs and Walgreens though..

Lewisc 05-20-2013 08:20 AM

I'd contact Hess.