The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Buy direct (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3112958)

quandrea 05-17-2013 12:47 PM

Buy direct

I have been looking for AKL and SSR and have lost two contracts in the past two days. Called Disney today to ask about direct. No two ways about it, it's more expensive, but my it's tempting. I could have those AKL points tomorrow, albeit at a $10 000 premium. Must give my head a shake!!:rotfl2:

ELMC 05-17-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quandrea (Post 48425385)
I have been looking for AKL and SSR and have lost two contracts in the past two days. Called Disney today to ask about direct. No two ways about it, it's more expensive, but my it's tempting. I could have those AKL points tomorrow, albeit at a $10 000 premium. Must give my head a shake!!:rotfl2:

Do you really want to pay $10,000 extra just so you can have something right now? There are literally dozens of AKV resale contracts out there. It's not that difficult to buy one of those and save ten grand.

quandrea 05-17-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELMC (Post 48425790)
Do you really want to pay $10,000 extra just so you can have something right now? There are literally dozens of AKV resale contracts out there. It's not that difficult to buy one of those and save ten grand.

No I don't. It's just frustrating to see the change in the market. Listings come up and are gone at asking before you know it. I told my husband that the good part of it is that our DVC contracts are in high demand. If we ever need to sell, we'll be able to. I'll wait and stalk the resale boards.

WILDERNESS FAN 55 05-17-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quandrea (Post 48426090)
No I don't. It's just frustrating to see the change in the market. Listings come up and are gone at asking before you know it. I told my husband that the good part of it is that our DVC contracts are in high demand. If we ever need to sell, we'll be able to. I'll wait and stalk the resale boards.

Tell the brokers what you want ! Price range-Use year-appx points. Let them do the work on what becomes available.:)

ELMC 05-17-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quandrea (Post 48426090)

This is a good point. If you bought direct you would not be able to say the same thing.

Have you looked at Fidelity? They have a number of AKV contracts that don't sell as soon as they're listed. Perhaps you could try for one of those. Good luck! :)

NHTikiBeckie 05-17-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 (Post 48426126)
Tell the brokers what you want ! Price range-Use year-appx points. Let them do the work on what becomes available.:)

I tried this...no luck at all. I quickly realized I needed to be on top of finding them myself.

disneynutz 05-17-2013 03:36 PM

Disney creates the negatives of buying resale and probably laughs all the way to the bank when people buy direct.

Their ROFR activity come in waves. There is a good chance when VGF goes on sale, (later this month) DVD will stop ROFR and focus on their favorite, selling new resorts which makes them more money.

:earsboy: Bill

quandrea 05-17-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48426893)
Disney creates the negatives of buying resale and probably laughs all the way to the bank when people buy direct.

Their ROFR activity come in waves. There is a good chance when VGF goes on sale, (later this month) DVD will stop ROFR and focus on their favorite, selling new resorts which makes them more money.

Good point. Vgf sales are around the corner. Offered on a loaded akl contract with fidelity today. Have not heard back. Their website is woefully outdated. Not holding much hope for this offer. Sellers were asking 83 a point. I will not go that high.

Minniesgal 05-17-2013 07:05 PM

Just keep trying, have a look at al the brokers not just one, have them out you in their mailing list sometimes you get notified about new listings before they are even posted. No need to go direct resale will work

nd43 05-17-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 48426893)
Disney creates the negatives of buying resale and probably laughs all the way to the bank when people buy direct

Bill, you are often a very nice poster, but this is just insulting. I do not think people who buy direct are a joke to anyone. It is the people that buy direct that provide all the revenue to grow and improve DVC. Do you want to see new DVC resorts? Stop calling direct buyers idiots (which is what you are implying with such a statement). I can assure you I am no ones fool and I am buying direct. To imply that Disney somehow duped me into this decision is more then just a little condescending.

WILDERNESS FAN 55 05-17-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHTikiBeckie (Post 48426567)
I tried this...no luck at all. I quickly realized I needed to be on top of finding them myself.

When I bought in Fidelity did this for me :) Hopefully you'll find something to your liking soon. Here's some pixiedust:

WILDERNESS FAN 55 05-17-2013 09:19 PM

Without direct sales there would be NO resale. Chicken or the egg ? :rotfl2:

ELMC 05-17-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDERNESS FAN 55 (Post 48429381)
Without direct sales there would be NO resale. Chicken or the egg ? :rotfl2:

True. And anybody who is selling today who bought prior to 2004 is likely getting most of their money back. Prior to 2008, a good chunk of their money back. After 2009, a fraction of their money back. DVC resales are an equation and for every gain that someone realizes there is oftentimes an equal loss by the seller. I think this is a fact that is too often overlooked as people nonchalantly talk about buying direct in today's marketplace. If you truly examine the numbers you will see that the value has been priced out of the DVC product. What's left is all sizzle and no steak. Now that works for some people, and that's fine. But people should know what they are getting themselves into.

nd43 05-17-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELMC (Post 48429492)
True. And anybody who is selling today who bought prior to 2004 is likely getting most of their money back. Prior to 2008, a good chunk of their money back. After 2009, a fraction of their money back. DVC resales are an equation and for every gain that someone realizes there is oftentimes an equal loss by the seller. I think this is a fact that is too often overlooked as people nonchalantly talk about buying direct in today's marketplace. If you truly examine the numbers you will see that the value has been priced out of the DVC product. What's left is all sizzle and no steak. Now that works for some people, and that's fine. But people should know what they are getting themselves into.

There are people who purchased BLT in the 90's at opening. Resales are now trending between $90.00 to $100.00. I am sure, when BLT opened, $95+ appeared "crazy" to many on this board and made it clear buying direct was a joke. Those same people are now encouraging people to buy resale with less benefits at the same price. Who was the fool?

The question is, how many people who purchased a new resort at opening, used it 10 years, then sold, suffered great losses? After all, the price is all relative to the resort you purchased, when you purchased, and when you sold.

In 10 years, will the new VGF buyers suffer great losses? Or will people be jumping all over themselves to buy VGF at $160 on resale with less benefits?

agie65 05-17-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd43 (Post 48429646)

There are people who purchased BLT in the 90's at opening. Resales are now trending between $90.00 to $100.00. I am sure, when BLT opened, $95+ appeared "crazy" to many on this board and made it clear buying direct was a joke. Those same people are now encouraging people to buy resale with less benefits at the same price. Who was the fool?

The question is, how many people who purchased a new resort at opening, used it 10 years, then sold, suffered great losses? After all, the price is all relative to the resort you purchased, when you purchased, and when you sold.

In 10 years, will the new VGF buyers suffer great losses? Or will people be jumping all over themselves to buy VGF at $160 on resale with less benefits?

If you buying AKL 330 pts or over you pay only 128/pp after promo discount, prorated MF, and get 2012 points as well. These can be used on other disney product like DCL. Sure is very convenient to buy direct and have piece of mind, but there are chances you may find one good resale contract. Do agree most of the contract out there are stripped, so may not have a big saving.