The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Any way to talk to a dancer on board (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3112386)

TheWescotts 05-16-2013 09:02 AM

Any way to talk to a dancer on board
 
Both of my DDs are in competitive dance. The older one (7) has an ambition of being a dancer on Disney Cruise Line.

Does anyone know of a way, and what we could do, to get just 10 or 15 minutes of talking with one of the dancers from the shows. It would mean so much to her if we could surprise her with it.

Four Swampers 05-16-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWescotts (Post 48413349)
Both of my DDs are in competitive dance. The older one (7) has an ambition of being a dancer on Disney Cruise Line.

Does anyone know of a way, and what we could do, to get just 10 or 15 minutes of talking with one of the dancers from the shows. It would mean so much to her if we could surprise her with it.

I think there is a good chance of pulling that off. Ask to speak to the stage manager for the Walt Disney Theatre; you can leave a note to the stage manager with guest services. Explain your request in the note, and I would bet he or she will call your stateroom to organize a meeting.

Tonka's Skipper 05-16-2013 09:27 AM

I agree with Four Swampers idea, but you may also wish to ask the CD!

AKK

MagicMe 05-16-2013 09:35 AM

Not totally sure but many of these performers do double duty around the ship. We knew someone in the cast (singer/performer) and we also saw him around the ship. He ended up being our leader for our safety drill section and he was also a "handler" for a character or two (ie the person telling the next person in line they can go see the character and who often took pictures with personal cameras when requested).

You can always check with Guest Services to see if there is a dancer that could talk with them.

lbgraves 05-16-2013 10:34 AM

My DD12 also wants to dance for DCL one day. On our last cruise we spoke with a couple of the headline performers when they were character assistants at M&Gs when it wasn't busy. The girl who plays the sister in Wishes spoke with her about the training she did when growing up, and assured her that you don't have to sing well to be a dancer for DCL. She gave her encouragement and stressed to stick with ballet.

Cats12 05-16-2013 12:19 PM

I'll bet a ton of little girls on board dance and probably half of them (mine included) want to grow up to be dancers. I also bet they'd all love the chance to dance with one of the dancers at a kids club activity! :dance3: I know mine would. And no, Do-Si-Do with Snow White does NOT count.

Pinmaniac 05-16-2013 01:46 PM

We saw many of the performers on the Fantasy in the Tube several different evenings. At the very least I would think you could strike up a conversation with them there.

Aggiefan92 05-16-2013 01:47 PM

I forget if it was Holland America or Princess but we went on a behind the scenes backstage tour of the dressing rooms, sets, costumes, etc and got to do a Q and A with some of the performers. Does DCL offer something like that on the newer ships or the 7 day iteneraries?

PrincessShmoo 05-16-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinmaniac (Post 48416186)
We saw many of the performers on the Fantasy in the Tube several different evenings. At the very least I would think you could strike up a conversation with them there.

On our Wonder MR cruises we often ran into the stage performers at Promenade Lounge late (after the last show). And on our TA cruise we had a "backstage" tour in the WDT one day. Really just a few of the cast answering questions and we could go up on the stage where they had a few of the costumes and sets out for us to see.

On HAL, we did a backstage tour that took us through the dressing areas and costume area.

jrbdad 05-16-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aggiefan92 (Post 48416195)
I forget if it was Holland America or Princess but we went on a behind the scenes backstage tour of the dressing rooms, sets, costumes, etc and got to do a Q and A with some of the performers. Does DCL offer something like that on the newer ships or the 7 day iteneraries?

Would like to know this as well.

tivo4me1 05-16-2013 01:54 PM

Aggiefan:

We took a similar tour on Carnival a year and a half ago where we spent quite a bit of time talking with an entertainer and touring the stage/dressing/costume areas, but I've never seen DCL announce any similar tour. If they do one, we'll be there with bells on...

See you on the Wonder in September!

Rich from California

lbgraves 05-16-2013 02:09 PM

We have done a BTS theater tour on the Magic, but nothing has been offered on either Fantasy cruise we have done.

jrbdad 05-16-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves (Post 48416440)
We have done a BTS theater tour on the Magic, but nothing has been offered on either Fantasy cruise we have done.

That's a bummer. We sail in six weeks on the Fantasy. My DD12 just played Glinda in the kids version of Wicked.

TwinPrincessMermaids 05-16-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tivo4me1 (Post 48416277)
Aggiefan:

We took a similar tour on Carnival a year and a half ago where we spent quite a bit of time talking with an entertainer and touring the stage/dressing/costume areas, but I've never seen DCL announce any similar tour. If they do one, we'll be there with bells on...

See you on the Wonder in September!

Rich from California

Have been twice in the Carn back stage dressing rooms as I participated in their Legends show. This last time, my hun was Ricky Martin and my friend was Aretha Franklin so 3 of us got to be back there together. We've seen the show a bunch now and I hope its my last time in that particular show, but it was neat. They have costumes and rehearsals for you and everything.

I noticed while we were waiting in the wings for our segments that the dancers were always practicing, always going over steps. They were very hard workers and I'm not sure they completely get the credit they deserve...altho I did give one a dirty look on my last performance because they told me to dance on the star and move around so its not a boring performance, so I did, but I was still on my star, and my hand thwapped right into one of the dancers. It was a diva moment I suppose.

lbgraves 05-16-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdad (Post 48416456)
That's a bummer. We sail in six weeks on the Fantasy. My DD12 just played Glinda in the kids version of Wicked.

When they did the BTS tours it was just for guests 18 and older. The same age restriction is in place for the current galley tour.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.