The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   are they evesdropping at animators palate...and elswhere? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3112279)

tarantim 05-15-2013 10:46 PM

are they evesdropping at animators palate...and elswhere?
 
so, i'm at dinner at the artists palate and a waiter at the next table is doing magic tricks for the kids at his table. I mention it and say, something about wishing we had magic tricks too. at the end of dinner my waiter comes out and apologizes for not knowing any magic and promises to learn.

needless to say I was mortified. he was a perfectly adequate server, just not magical. I hated that my musings had either been heard by or reported to him. I watched my tongue at dinner every night after that.

I realize they need to be able to hear people at table for the crush show, but why were they listening at other times? it felt very intrusive. imagine what else you might discuss with your nearest and dearest at dinner...

has anyone else had a similar experience?

shmoogrrrl 05-15-2013 11:53 PM

He likely just said it because the waiter next to you was getting so much attention. I doubt they are spying.

MikeAndNick 05-16-2013 01:37 AM

I have worked in restaurants and my family owned them growing up. A good waiter will listen to what the customer is talking about and their body language so they can give the best service possible. Many people do not feel comfortable telling the waiter that something is wrong, they will just go home unhappy. I have found that most of the staff on all the cruise ships will watch and listen to their customers to fix things without the customers having to complain. When my son was little our waiter overheard my son tell me they forgot Cheese on his hamburger and before I could bring it to the head waiter attention the Assistant waiter had a new plate for my son. My son was thrilled and everyone is happy.

My Dentist does the same thing, he knows I am feeling pain before I complain and stops and takes care of it without me asking.

PizzieDuster 05-16-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarantim (Post 48410909)
so, i'm at dinner at the artists palate and a waiter at the next table is doing magic tricks for the kids at his table. I mention it and say, something about wishing we had magic tricks too. at the end of dinner my waiter comes out and apologizes for not knowing any magic and promises to learn.

needless to say I was mortified. he was a perfectly adequate server, just not magical. I hated that my musings had either been heard by or reported to him. I watched my tongue at dinner every night after that.

I realize they need to be able to hear people at table for the crush show, but why were they listening at other times? it felt very intrusive. imagine what else you might discuss with your nearest and dearest at dinner...

has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've always wondered, how does that Crush interaction work? There must be mics on the table, no?

TubaBabe86 05-16-2013 07:41 AM

I've always wondered, how does that Crush interaction work? There must be mics on the table, no?[/QUOTE]

Our waiter told us they are in the centerpieces at each table.

Moxin 05-16-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubaBabe86 (Post 48412567)
I've always wondered, how does that Crush interaction work? There must be mics on the table, no?

Our waiter told us they are in the centerpieces at each table.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, check out the pencil next time. :mic:

su_A_ve 05-16-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzieDuster (Post 48411566)
I've always wondered, how does that Crush interaction work? There must be mics on the table, no?

AFAIK, the mikes are near the screens...

In the Dream last year, we sat next to one of the big screens, however, there was another table nearby also next to the screen. Crush started to talk to the family there, and my son answered a question.. Crush mistakenly took that answer as if it was coming from the other table...

Crush then came and chatted with us as well... Pretty cool...

anna08 05-16-2013 08:30 AM

We've always joked that there were mics everywhere in the parks because my DD got soaked once by those ground fountains when she was little, and as soon as wailed "I hate Disney world" (she hates wet clothes), there appeared a maintenance CM with Mickey stickers that quickly talked her into smiling.

I'm getting a big kick thinking of all the things we talked about on our spring break cruise. It would make for interesting discussion behind the scenes! :lmao:

TwinPrincessMermaids 05-16-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubaBabe86 (Post 48412567)
I've always wondered, how does that Crush interaction work? There must be mics on the table, no?

Our waiter told us they are in the centerpieces at each table.[/QUOTE]

It's not each table. We were one table away from the screen, but Crush was definitely not interacting with US personally (although it was still great!)

PizzieDuster 05-16-2013 04:06 PM

Thank you all for answering.

So, is there then a CM somewhere (who sounds like Crush) watching and speaking? So are there cameras too? Wonder where the CM is?

Disney Dreams 05-16-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzieDuster (Post 48417668)
Thank you all for answering.

So, is there then a CM somewhere (who sounds like Crush) watching and speaking? So are there cameras too? Wonder where the CM is?

Just Crush... swimmin' along and talkin' to the humans. ;)

- Dreams

PizzieDuster 05-16-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney Dreams (Post 48417720)
Just Crush... swimmin' along and talkin' to the humans. ;)

- Dreams

I love it! You're right. It's like when I was a kid and found out there is no Santa :rotfl:pixiedust: I don't wanna know!

CaptMo 05-16-2013 04:57 PM

wow
 
I cannot wait to see, that Crush thing, sounds so fun!

VAB2013 05-16-2013 05:21 PM

We were on the Dream earlier this month and had a table in front of a screen. Our server had given us a heads up the night before that we would have a good table at Animator's Palate. Since we were newbies we didn't exactly know what he meant. My son and my nephew got to talk to Crush and it was awesome!!!

Rogillio 05-16-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PizzieDuster (Post 48418085)
I love it! You're right. It's like when I was a kid and found out there is no Santa :rotfl:pixiedust: I don't wanna know!

What do you mean no Santa?!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.