The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best Resort to go see (and not stay) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3109845)

innoculation 05-11-2013 01:25 PM

Best Resort to go see (and not stay)

Hello all,

I am planning a day to just go visit a resort or two. My family of 5 with kids 18,14,8 will be arriving at WDW one day early and will like stay overnight at the Art of Animation resort before checking in the next morning at Fort Wilderness. So the question is for the day of arrival.

We will not be going to parks that day and would like to hear your best ideas for what to do. We like to visit resorts, but would like some suggestions of places we can go to see and do activities.

Thanks in advance!

karenklo 05-11-2013 01:29 PM

I would say animal kingdom lodge! It is beautiful! There are viewing places all over to see the animals. It is also just so nice to walk around! We have stayed there and plan on taking some time to go hang out there! :thumbsup2

DisneyFanatic94 05-11-2013 01:31 PM

You guys have a great place to stay with Fort Wilderness. Another great one is Animal Kingdom Lodge! I am pretty sure you can still go on a safari without staying there!

Mousemommy1 05-11-2013 01:34 PM

I agree with visiting AKL! Such a beautiful place. :goodvibes

innoculation 05-11-2013 01:36 PM

Is there enough there to see to fill up the better part of a day, or should we try and see another?

Missytara 05-11-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innoculation
Is there enough there to see to fill up the better part of a day, or should we try and see another?

It depends on if you plan on partaking on the resort activities or just walk around. That goes for any resort, but AKL has more activities than most.

GaBelle 05-11-2013 02:22 PM

If you would like to see multiple resorts, you could get on the resort monorail and see CR, Poly and GF.

meliss1214 05-11-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBelle (Post 48367260)
If you would like to see multiple resorts, you could get on the resort monorail and see CR, Poly and GF.

That's exactly what I would do if you are looking to take up most of a day.

GoGoBeans 05-11-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meliss1214 (Post 48367277)
That's exactly what I would do if you are looking to take up most of a day.

Keep going on the monorail and check out Beach Club, Yacht Club and the Boardwalk areas.

mickeynut1 05-11-2013 02:43 PM

I agree that AKL is a great place to visit as well as doing the monorail loop and visiting the Poly, GF, and CR :goodvibes.

ppony 05-12-2013 01:02 AM

Animal Kingdom Lodge! W/o a hesitation. Though we stay there frequently and own there too. :thumbsup2 It's a feast for the senses!

spidet1964 05-12-2013 04:49 AM

Definately AKL

David Brent 05-12-2013 05:30 AM

don't mean to hijack but i made an ADR with sanaa at 7:00pm. since you guys suggest that visiting AKL is a nice experience, what do you guys suggest specifically we do and what would be a good time to explore before dinner? like an hour earlier? thanks.

jwwi 05-12-2013 06:06 AM

I also agree with the monorail idea, you will have more to see at GF and Poly, but the CR is interesting too. You could also stop at the MK and take the boat from there to WL. If the fireworks interest you, I suggest watching them from the Poly beach.
The AOA resort has quite a bit of things to explore, along with POP across the lake. Since you are only staying one night, take time to check it out while you are there.
Another idea is the Beach Club/Boardwalk area. If you have never been there it is so beautiful. It is easiest if you have your own car, and is then literally minutes from the AOA. You can even take the slow boat ride from a resort. It does a loop between Epcot and DHS, stopping at all the resorts along the way.
AKL and AKV is also a great way to spend a few hours. It is a very unique resort. There are multiple public viewing areas of the savanna, with CMs willing to give you a lot of information about the animals
Have fun. Resort hopping is one of our favorite activities. The gift shop and food courts are so interesting and fun to visit.

nkereina 05-12-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoGoBeans (Post 48367309)
Keep going on the monorail and check out Beach Club, Yacht Club and the Boardwalk areas.

This would only work if you are able to walk through Epcot, as the monorail drops you off at the front of Epcot. If you don't have tickets to spare, then it would be a problem. Its also a really long walk.

I would bus to DHS and then take the boat to BC/YC, Swan/Dolphin and Boardwalk. You can also walk between all these resorts pretty easily and they are fun to check out. You could also grab lunch with no ADR needed at Beaches & Cream or ESPN Club.