The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Brown derby? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3109157)

aes74 05-09-2013 10:03 PM

Brown derby?

My sister wants to take her husband to eat at The Brown Derby. I don't want her to waste her money and I've never seen any good reviews for it, but she says she's found them online. Am I wrong?

bumbershoot 05-09-2013 10:10 PM

I see lots of positive reviews for it.

We only get the coconut tofu noodle bowl (DS gets the grilled cheese on wheat bread), and we LOVE it. We keep going back for it! And will be going back again in October. :) Now, given what we get, I would not use the dining plan for it, since it takes 2 credits, but paying OOP is just fine for what we get.

figment_jii 05-09-2013 10:40 PM

There have been lots of good reviews of the Brown Derby here on the Disboard. It's one of my family's favorite places at DHS. We really like the Cobb salad.

aes74 05-09-2013 10:57 PM

Ok, this makes me feel better. Thanks for your input.

Pakey 05-09-2013 10:59 PM

I've eaten at every upscale restaurant at WDW several times; Brown Derby ranks upper middle on the list. I've dined here a dozen times including 2 visits in the past 6 months.

The fish dishes here have always been good. The pork chop is the best piece of pork I've had anywhere. And my favorite drink the Fabulous Mariness is served here.

Prices are high for an in park restaurant that doesn't have a quiet atmosphere. But the prices for the food quality are reasonable.

sephorachick 05-10-2013 07:47 AM

we LOVE the brown derby. The food & service are excellent there. THey serve my favorite mixed drink there as well! Here is my review:

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...own-derby.html

minnie mum 05-10-2013 10:31 AM

I have to agree with most of the PPs. If you haven't found a lot of positive reviews for HBD, then you haven't been looking in the right places I guess.

While the prices are expensive, they are not out of line with any of the other Disney Signature restaurants. The Cobb salad is a favourite for good reason. DH is still talking about how good his pork chop was, and I found the duck absolutely delicious.

Service was what I expected from any signature place. And while it was a bit noisy at the beginning of our meal (we ate around 7:30 pm), it was to be expected for an in-park restaurant.

I wouldn't consider HBD to be a waste of money by any stretch of the imagination.

TDC Nala 05-10-2013 10:32 AM

I've eaten there twice in the past month if that tells you anything. Both times at lunch. Better food than anywhere else at the Studios, and it would have been cost-effective getting a Cobb salad for lunch if I'd just laid off the drinks and dessert, but why do that, it's a vacation. Much of the time it's also easier to get in without a reservation, since the prices scare people off.

Nancy F 05-10-2013 10:37 AM

We eat there every trip. Never had a bad meal there.
And the Bananas Foster is to die for. :banana:
Nancy princess:

prttynpnk 05-10-2013 10:46 AM

We love Brown Derby- the grapefruit cake, the noodle bowl, the cobb salad, the tuna, the atmosphere. It's a must for me.

btcrane 05-10-2013 10:47 AM

My family and I have eaten at the Brown Derby twice. The first time, about 4 years ago, I wasn't impressed given the prices. We tried it again this past Thanksgiving because the kids wanted to see Fantasmic!, I was unwilling to wait hours for the show so wanted the package, and the less expensive restaurants affiliated with the plan were booked. While pricey, our food, and the entire experience, was amazing. My 14-year-old begged to go there again when we return to Disney in a couple of weeks.

karenklo 05-10-2013 10:52 AM

We loved the BD! The Cobb salad is great as is the fish. Enjoy!:thumbsup2

WDWFANCBIIIME 05-10-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aes74 (Post 48353661)
My sister wants to take her husband to eat at The Brown Derby. I don't want her to waste her money and I've never seen any good reviews for it, but she says she's found them online. Am I wrong?

Love Brown Derby!!!

darkwing818 05-10-2013 03:08 PM

Brown Derby; 2 Thumbs Way Up!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Micca 05-10-2013 09:19 PM

We've been to WDW around 50 times and I finally got my wife & dd to agree to try HBD for lunch(they didn't think there was anything there they'd like). We were seated & looking at the menu and I'm getting this "I agreed to eating here why? "vibe. We all loved it--I had the Cobb salad which was huge and delicious, DW had the pork and she still talks about how good it was. I think DD had a steak and she said it was really good. The server was so good we flagged down the manager on the way out to compliment him. So much of dining at DHS is about the novelty factor, HBD was just really nice food. I sure won't have to twist the arms of anyone in my family to return there. :earsboy: