The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Driving to WDW, where to stay? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3108846)

FrugalFashionista 05-09-2013 11:19 AM

Driving to WDW, where to stay?
 
We are making a long car trip out of our vacation. Driving from CO to TX to visit family, then TX to FL. So if anyone has any tips on car ride fun I would appreciate it!

As for WDW itself, where do you suggest we stay since we have a car? I have heard the bus system is quite convoluted and since we will have a car and Disney offers free parking to guests is driving to the parks a better choice? Which resorts, value and moderate only, would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

disnut8 05-09-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrugalFashionista (Post 48346997)
We are making a long car trip out of our vacation. Driving from CO to TX to visit family, then TX to FL. So if anyone has any tips on car ride fun I would appreciate it!

As for WDW itself, where do you suggest we stay since we have a car? I have heard the bus system is quite convoluted and since we will have a car and Disney offers free parking to guests is driving to the parks a better choice? Which resorts, value and moderate only, would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it's convoluted. You basically walk out of your room, go to the nearest bus stop, get on the correct bus and get to a park.

All Stars might share buses but still same principle as above.

Epcot resorts might share buses but still same principle as above. And with those resorts, you can walk or take the boat to either Epcot or the Studios

Moderates have several bus stops but there will be one within simple walking distance of your room.

Fort Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins do require one bus transfer but it's a pretty easy system.

Not sure, but I think the monorail resorts can share buses but you can take a boat or the monorail to Magic Kingdom and the monorail to Epcot. If at the Contemporary, you can easily walk to the Magic Kingdom.

tluvstink 05-09-2013 02:43 PM

I have to admit I'm not a fan of the values but I love POR:). We stayed in the AB section and our room was close to the food court and main bus stop. I think we were in bldg 14 but I'm not sure.

The buses were frequent but crowded. I knew to expect that so it didn't bother me. I like the fact the buses park close to the main entrance of each park

On and I have to give the food court at POR a big thumbs up too!! We thought if was great :)

Terri

Claire&TheBoys 05-09-2013 02:58 PM

Coronado Springs is our favorite Mod. It has a great pool, great atmosphere and beautiful rooms. The bus service is very good there - we've rarely waited more than 10 minutes for a bus to our desired park.

Personally, if I were driving from CO to TX, then TX to FL, I would want to park my car for the duration of my visit and let Disney do the driving! :)

bowbat 05-09-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrugalFashionista (Post 48346997)
We are making a long car trip out of our vacation. Driving from CO to TX to visit family, then TX to FL. So if anyone has any tips on car ride fun I would appreciate it!

As for WDW itself, where do you suggest we stay since we have a car? I have heard the bus system is quite convoluted and since we will have a car and Disney offers free parking to guests is driving to the parks a better choice? Which resorts, value and moderate only, would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

The bus system, regardless of resort, varies. Sometimes it's fantastic and sometimes it's stress-inducing, but as a general rule it's usually fine. (Exception is bus service to and from Downtown Disney, which seems to be bad no matter what.)

That said, I would suggest (if you already haven't) taking the time to read about each resort & check out photos of them. Then just go with the resort that appeals to you the most. Do you like Disney in your face or a more subdued theme? Do you like a compact resort with minimal walking or room to roam? Is the pool important? What about food options? Those things will probably better help you decide which resort is right for you than the bus system.

Good luck deciding & safe travels!

FrugalFashionista 05-09-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowbat (Post 48350111)
The bus system, regardless of resort, varies. Sometimes it's fantastic and sometimes it's stress-inducing, but as a general rule it's usually fine. (Exception is bus service to and from Downtown Disney, which seems to be bad no matter what.)

That said, I would suggest (if you already haven't) taking the time to read about each resort & check out photos of them. Then just go with the resort that appeals to you the most. Do you like Disney in your face or a more subdued theme? Do you like a compact resort with minimal walking or room to roam? Is the pool important? What about food options? Those things will probably better help you decide which resort is right for you than the bus system.

Good luck deciding & safe travels!


We aren't really planning on staying in the room too much. I swear my kids have had lessons from the energizer bunny. Food is a big deal and minimal noise. I don't want super quite but I don't want to be close to a main area or a pool. My 6 year old son is high functioning Autistic and doesn't do well with overly loud noises.

FrugalFashionista 05-09-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys (Post 48349290)
Coronado Springs is our favorite Mod. It has a great pool, great atmosphere and beautiful rooms. The bus service is very good there - we've rarely waited more than 10 minutes for a bus to our desired park.

Personally, if I were driving from CO to TX, then TX to FL, I would want to park my car for the duration of my visit and let Disney do the driving! :)

I hadn't thought of it that way :rotfl: I was more thinking of impatient children that are ready for Disney in the mornings :)

buzznina 05-10-2013 07:44 AM

We have been driving to WDW for the last 9 years and after the the first couple trips, we now park our van and rarely see it until we have to leave. We will use it if we are going from one resort to another resort and to DTD (if not staying at POR/POFQ). Our DD's love riding the buses and it is now part of our disney vacation:) With that said, if you or someone in your group get stressed out easily or are impatient, then there could be times you will get frustrated. Some tips about WDW transportation, do not leave the park right at closing, leave either before or hang around for about 30-45 minutes in the park and then leave. Leaving at closing guarantees long lines at all the transportation, buses, boats and rail. If the bus is full and you do not want to stand, just stand off to the side at the front of the line and wait for the next bus, then you have a guarantee seat. I would suggest the 2 Port Orleans resort or CSR for a Mod.

FrugalFashionista 05-10-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzznina (Post 48355551)
We have been driving to WDW for the last 9 years and after the the first couple trips, we now park our van and rarely see it until we have to leave. We will use it if we are going from one resort to another resort and to DTD (if not staying at POR/POFQ). Our DD's love riding the buses and it is now part of our disney vacation:) With that said, if you or someone in your group get stressed out easily or are impatient, then there could be times you will get frustrated. Some tips about WDW transportation, do not leave the park right at closing, leave either before or hang around for about 30-45 minutes in the park and then leave. Leaving at closing guarantees long lines at all the transportation, buses, boats and rail. If the bus is full and you do not want to stand, just stand off to the side at the front of the line and wait for the next bus, then you have a guarantee seat. I would suggest the 2 Port Orleans resort or CSR for a Mod.

I have been looking at POR or Art of Animation. AoA doesn't share buses from what I have read. Who know planning a trip to Disney would make you ask so many questions! :crazy2:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.