The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Dining Plan (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   No free dining the last 2 weeks in August? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3107191)

matt&jakesmom 05-06-2013 10:05 AM

No free dining the last 2 weeks in August?

In the past the free dining was the last 2 weeks in August and now it doesn't start until September 2. Anyone know why?

islandtimect 05-06-2013 10:11 AM

It used to only be in Sept, but when the economy tanked back in 2008, they expanded the dates. Maybe they don't need to offer it because jobless rate is down and stock market is up??

mm1971 05-06-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt&jakesmom (Post 48312820)
In the past the free dining was the last 2 weeks in August and now it doesn't start until September 2. Anyone know why?

My guess is that the bookings for late August are up and no need to offer it. It will be interesting to see if they offer something after all those expecting it cancel and move reservations. Right now there is no offer at all for 8/15-9/1. Either they do not need the incentive or they may extend the RO discount currently offered through 8/14.

DisneyMim 05-06-2013 10:33 AM

Because they don't need to.

LilyWDW 05-06-2013 10:39 AM

The use of discounts is to increase sales numbers. If they don't offer a discount it is most likely because they do not need to offer it. Bookings are most likely up from previous years and they are happy with the numbers for the time being.

juliehoey 05-06-2013 10:48 AM

I don't really believe it has anything to do with bookings.:worried: The trip I had planned for August 2011 was booked in August 2010. A week later, an unprecedented 'free dining' package deal was announced a whole year in advance. Here it is from Mousesavers.com:

8/19/11-9/29/11(STAY)
package deal (“free dining”) for general public
Offered-8/16/10, exp 12/20/10

So they knew a year in advance bookings were down? There has to be another reasson why. As for the PP about economy tanking in 2008...I think we're still there ;)::rotfl2:

littlejen22 05-06-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliehoey (Post 48313350)
I don't really believe it has anything to do with bookings.:worried: The trip I had planned for August 2011 was booked in August 2010. A week later, an unprecedented 'free dining' package deal was announced a whole year in advance. Here it is from Mousesavers.com:

8/19/11-9/29/11(STAY)

So they knew a year in advance bookings were down? There has to be another reasson why. As for the PP about economy tanking in 2008...I think we're still there ;)::rotfl2:

I would guess some of it takes into consideration the previous years bookings and the fact that a large part of the country does not start K-12 or even community colleges until after Labor Day so they probably did better for last year and dropped it.

MichVick 05-06-2013 11:12 AM

I read that the free dining is for Visa Holders - are they still predicting the release of free dining for others on the 9th?

Sunnywho 05-06-2013 11:15 AM

Disney has had high attendance since the start of the year. They are projecting that to continue.

laceemouse 05-06-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichVick (Post 48313649)
I read that the free dining is for Visa Holders - are they still predicting the release of free dining for others on the 9th?

Yes, but only for September dates.

Tormania 05-06-2013 11:23 AM

Basic business economics. If people are already buying what you are selling, you don't need to discount it. ::yes::

Polydweller 05-06-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

8/19/11-9/29/11(STAY)

It has everything to do with bookings. Free dining isn't a giveaway its a sales technique. They offer it to increase bookings. They do projections from the previous year to determine what incentives to give. In 2010 the economy was not rebounding and every economic indicator was that hotels (I'm a hotelier) would struggle in 2011 and most did. Ramping up incentives was an easy projection.

But it's now 2013 and things have improved. Obviously Disney is seeing their business improve because they announced that they were going to reduce the frequency and amount of incentives including FD and so far have doe so. The booking projections must be fine for most of the year.

Bottom line is, incentives in business are always to increase sales and FD is simply a way to increase room nights sold.

DisneyFive 05-06-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

8/19/11-9/29/11(STAY)

It has everything to do with bookings. EDIT: Dang, Polydweller beat me to it! :D

I know you know this, but Disney doesn't offer FD just to be nice. It is a way (and a very successful one) to increase bookings, just like their other offers. Thats why the discounts are lower or non existant during busier times of the year.

For your particular example, the general macro economic condition in the US and many parts of the world were in poor shape, and yes they predicted a year in advance that they would need some incentive (FD) to get more guests to book trips.

Disney has been saying for at least a couple of years now that they are going to be reducing or eliminating discounts (like FD) since the economic situation is improving. This is one example of that. I would expect more limited FD windows this year and future years unless the economy unexpectedly tanks.

I do feel for those who were hoping to sneek a trip before school starts (which for many is the week of Labor Day), but it looks like it may not happen in late August. :sad1:

Dan

DebbieB 05-06-2013 11:36 AM

Check the discount board for more details. There are some huge threads over there.

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.ph...sprune=30&f=93

tiggore91 05-06-2013 12:50 PM

There is a room discount (up to 30% off) being offered today for Disney Visa holders for the last 2 weeks of August. This will be available (as will the free dining for September) to the general public on Thursday.