The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Value vs Moderate (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3105800)

JVig 05-03-2013 09:40 AM

Value vs Moderate

Hi!

We are going to Disney for the first time from Aug 17-24 (SO EXCITED SQUEEE!).

It will be me, my DH and our daughter (she will have just turned 5 a few days before our trip).

We are currently booked for Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation.

I am considering moving us into a Moderate - we would still stay the same number of nights. I'm reading reviews on the mods now and thinking either POFQ or POR would be good.

What do you think? The main draw for Art of Animation is the theming, but she won't know what she missed if she never sees it. Will we have a better time (pools look more fun with slides...) if I move us to a Mod? Is it worth the extra $$?

JVig 05-03-2013 09:43 AM

Another factor is it is looking like there may be a room only discount available if I move to a Mod (but wouldn't apply to LM room at AoA). So assuming that happens and I get the 25% off, the price difference per night would only be $25.75. For the whole trip it would be a difference of about $180....

Sue M 05-03-2013 09:52 AM

AoA looks really cute. I'm not a value resort fan, but if I was, that would be my pic. I think you'd have a great time there. We went to look around during our last August trip.

Our fav moderate is POR. Love the mansion section. Rooms have been recently refurbed and have queen beds. This may be a deciding point since values have double beds.
Also your room will have a fridge & coffee maker. POR is beautifully landscaped. The main pool is fun, and also have quiet pools. Some other extras are the boat to DTD, evening entertainment in the lounge, horse & carriage rides, a marina, and fishing hole. Also double sinks, helps in the morning.

JVig 05-03-2013 10:07 AM

Thanks, those thoughts are helpful. I'm leaning more towards a moderate, but only if the rumored discount really happens. Otherwise I would stick with AoA.

Next question would be which moderate, hah. Nothing is simple, but these are fun problems to have!!!

Here's another question if you know: Assuming the discount is offered - would I have to be on the ball and call real quick to get 25% of a mod? I assume they only make a limited number of rooms available at the discounted price, right?

Missytara 05-03-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVig (Post 48286921)
Thanks, those thoughts are helpful. I'm leaning more towards a moderate, but only if the rumored discount really happens. Otherwise I would stick with AoA.

Next question would be which moderate, hah. Nothing is simple, but these are fun problems to have!!!

Here's another question if you know: Assuming the discount is offered - would I have to be on the ball and call real quick to get 25% of a mod? I assume they only make a limited number of rooms available at the discounted price, right?

Yes, you should jump on it; especially if you are planning on POR. They are the only (and most affordable) option for a mod for a family of 5, so they get snapped up pretty quickly.

Another vote for POR; we had a five year old a couple of years ago and she loved all the activities.

Disneylover99 05-03-2013 10:45 AM

If you are getting 25% off a mod room and 0% off a LM room at AofA....it would definitely be worth it to upgrade to a mod. and pay the small difference in price, especially in August. I would not want to be in a LM room for a week in August. I know lots of people are not bothered by the walk from their room to the lobby, but I would be bothered in the heat and humidity of August.

WDGPCFR 05-03-2013 06:39 PM

Kids pick AoA

We have taken our two children to Disney for their 5th birthdays. What a great way to celebrate a milestone. DS's birthday we stayed at the campground in a cabin. DD birthday we stayed at POR. Last year we went to POP and the kids were 14 and 9. While we were there we walked over and checked out AoA. I asked both my kids which they think a 5 yo girl would like better and they both thought AoA. To be that young and be completely immersed in Disney would be incredible. Port Orleans was very nice but very subdued as far as Disney. I will add that we took our tomboy daughter to Cinderella's Castle for breakfast before the park opened. Expensive but worth it as far as I'm concerned. Also last year at that time the Parks were busy but not insane. With a few fastpasses you should see all you want.

seadd67 05-03-2013 08:11 PM

So right now I have my hart set on POP, for solo trip for my Oct trip 2nd or the 5th to the 12th of Oct. So the up comeing discount will that extend into Oct?. I have not stay at POR for about 6 years, would It be worth the extra cost to switch??. its about a 80$ diffrenece per night right now.

DMLAINI 05-03-2013 08:24 PM

We just got back this wk from POR. We were book @ AoA in LM but we got a discount & changed & we loved it. We were in Alligator Bayou & DD loved the Princess & The Frog theme & the pool. You can use the POFQ which was also nice.

seadd67 05-03-2013 08:36 PM

You know I was thinking about it more,and really I do not think I am going to change my choice!, i am staying with POP. The Mods are nice and have the extras, the hot tubs,coffe maker extra sink(that don't matter to me,i am solo:cool1:. It comes down to that feel good feeling you have inside when you walk Into a resort. POP for me has that,and I thgink at the end of the day you have to use that feeling in choseing,outside of Money of course. Money should be a factor, but how you feel and enjoy a resort should be a factor to.

JVig 05-03-2013 09:21 PM

Well now that my husband just tonight decided to show some interest in where we are staying (with some gentle prodding), we are definitely changing to a mod. He says heck no to double beds. So I probably should've gotten his input a while ago, but it's like pulling teeth!

Dixiemom 05-03-2013 10:01 PM

JVig,

We have stayed at Pop and CSR and enjoyed both for different reasons. Now we are booked for POR for June 15-23 and I can't wait! CBR is out of the running for you as it still has the double beds, so that narrows your choices down by one......Sounds like you are leaning towards POR :goodvibes I had forgotten POR can use the POFQ pools and vice versa....an added perk to an already long list.

trfishin22 05-03-2013 10:25 PM

port orleans french quarter

Sorry but I havent stayed anywhere but the port orleans french quarter resort. This will be our 5 time vacationing at disney world. We have looked into the different resorts to. They all have different things as landscape, pools, resturants etc.

We have stayed at the Port orleans french quarter as it has always been VERY clean and reasonable prices on rooms. the food and pools have been great. Our whole family enjoys staying there. Its really peaceful and has quick access to ride the river boats up to Riverside resort or down to down town disney.

We cant wait to get down there and start another family vacation. Hope you all have a great time on your vacations.