The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Pedicure while pregnant (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3105660)

StitchesGr8Fan 05-02-2013 09:44 PM

Pedicure while pregnant

Well, it has happened. My feet have started to expand and all my shoes are too tight. I've got to get new ones. Im going to get something I can slip on, and my ties will probably show, since I want shoes that are as breathable and cool as possible (lovely hot flashes).

So even though I won't be able to see my toes much longer, I would like to paint my toenails. I'm reading conflicting info on if its safe. So moms, did you paint your nails while you were pregnant? What brand did you use?

mommyrosa2 05-02-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan (Post 48283912)
Well, it has happened. My feet have started to expand and all my shoes are too tight. I've got to get new ones. Im going to get something I can slip on, and my ties will probably show, since I want shoes that are as breathable and cool as possible (lovely hot flashes).

So even though I won't be able to see my toes much longer, I would like to paint my toenails. I'm reading conflicting info on if its safe. So moms, did you paint your nails while you were pregnant? What brand did you use?

I so did (both my girls were Summer babies :)) many of our spas/salons actually offer "mommy to be" services. Towards the end my feet were so swollen, that having them massage my feet was wonderful! And I believe they used "Orly" polish

scooby9932 05-02-2013 09:56 PM

First, CONGRATULATIONS! :banana:

My daughter is newly (16 weeks) pregnant, and this is one of the countless questions she's asked recently. So, I did some homework & found a website that lists some "safe" nail polishes. Now, I'm not a doctor, so be sure you consult your OB in case your particular pregnancy requires you to be more circumspect.

Safe Polishes for Pregnancy

I have had to buy some new shoes recently to accommodate a new AFO & can gladly recommend the Skechers Go Walks! They are super lightweight, comfy, and come in all kinds of colors & sizes up to 4E width. Oh, and did I mention comfy? Because the soles are just dreamy. Check Kohl's - I got mine with a 20% off code & free shipping (they allow you to stack coupon codes).

Good luck!

SLP958 05-02-2013 10:09 PM

I got one with both my kids. Never had any serious concerns about it.

Go for it and enjoy!

firecracker725 05-02-2013 11:16 PM

I'm on my 3rd DD, and I've gotten pedicures with all of them. They have all their fingers and toes, and miraculously, only one head. Right now I'm wearing OPI "A Grape Fit". Actually, OPI is pretty much all I wear.

NHdisneylover 05-03-2013 01:06 AM

It never even occurred to me to worry about this. Both of my kids came out fine.

Baliezer 05-03-2013 01:29 AM

I have had pedicure with all four of my children with no problems. Just make sure they don't massage your ankles. Their are pressure points that trigger labor located in the ankles.

ronandannette 05-03-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHdisneylover (Post 48284775)
It never even occurred to me to worry about this. Both of my kids came out fine.

Is nail polish some newly-discovered pre-natal threat? DS is 16 and this is the first I've ever heard if it...:confused3

Bren's Mom 05-03-2013 07:45 AM

I have never heard of polish being an issue. I had regular pedicures while pregnant. However, I'd encourage you to find someplace that is well ventilated because the fumes from the acrylics, etc. can be very harsh in some of these salons.

Just be sure to tell the pedicurist to be gentle with your swollen ankles/legs. And enjoy! :)

FlyingDumbo 05-03-2013 07:50 AM

HI there! I am in my third trimester and have been getting pedicures. My midwife suggested it to make my feet feel better. I also went to DSW and got myself some croc flip flops that look like this :
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/crocs+patric...ductRef=SEARCH

They are really cushioned and feel good when my feet can't be stuffed into sneakers. Get yourself something comfy!

StitchesGr8Fan 05-03-2013 08:01 AM

Thanks all! I'm going to whip out the nail polish tonight and paint my toes! And I told DH we are going on a field trip to DSW in the morning.

aristocatz 05-03-2013 08:04 AM

My girlfriends treated me to lunch & a spa pedicure about a month before my due date. It was HEAVENLY!!! My only regret was not getting it done more often during my pregnancy! I felt like I had a new pair of feet when I was done! It was kind of a high end place & they told me it was perfectly safe (not sure what brand they used).

I would just make sure you are choosing a place that you can trust is going to be very sanitary in cleaning their tools and stuff.

Sgt Mickey 05-03-2013 08:07 AM

I had a pedi while pregnant. I didn't know there were issues at the time:confused3 Never had an issue. I like OPI.

Pixie Dust for Me! 05-03-2013 08:59 AM

My DS is now 15. I got regular pedicures while pregnant...before becoming pregnant...and long after too! In all honesty I never worried about it. I'd imagine that what's in the fish I eat (or insert any other food or drink) is likely as bad or worse for me than a pedicure :confused3.

My vote is that you should go ahead and just enjoy!

Kae 05-03-2013 09:06 AM

With DS not only did I get pedicure & manicures, I also did them I worked in a salon. Plus I colored peoples hair & my own. I also was lucky to get weekly massages.

Kae