The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Free dining dates rumour...so stressed (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3105285)

nrp1019 05-02-2013 09:02 AM

Free dining dates rumour...so stressed
 
I have been obsessed with searching the internet for free dining dates. I'm so stressed. I found the rumoured dates to be Sept. 2 - Sept. 25...Is there any little chance this could include mid August or is this set in stone..Our travel dates are Aug. 18th to Aug. 24th...We are a family of 5 so saving money is so important. The last trip for us was Aug. 2006 with only 2 kids so this will be our 5yr olds 1st trip there. This trip is so important to my husband and I because our kids have no idea about it. We aren't telling them until the day we leave. If we can't score free dining does anyone know if a resort room discount will be offered for our dates. We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside. Any info for us saving money would be so appreciated. I have been so stressed saving for this vacation to make sure everything is perfect...I can't wait til we leave!!! :confused:

skier_pete 05-02-2013 02:33 PM

OK - nothing I say is a sure thing, so understand I am only basing it on what has gone before.

The free dining dates flucuate frequently. Usually they go back into late August, but they don't always go back that far. (A quick search says last year the start date was August 25th, the year before was August 28th, and 2010 was August 15th.) Based on those dates the last two years, and your dates, I think it unlikely that they will stretch it back to August 18th.

However, even on years when the free dining doesn't extend all the way back, there is generally an additional General Public room discount. This usually extends back to the last date of whatever the previous discount was.

So, for this year the current discount ends August 14th. I would expect that a resort discount will come out eventually that will start on August 15th or 16th. This will likely be announced a few weeks after free dining is announced. You are probably looking at a 20% discount on Port Orleans Riverside. You probably will miss out on free dining, as I would expect it to start August 24th this year.

mm1971 05-02-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrp1019 (Post 48276248)
I have been obsessed with searching the internet for free dining dates. I'm so stressed. I found the rumoured dates to be Sept. 2 - Sept. 25...Is there any little chance this could include mid August or is this set in stone..Our travel dates are Aug. 18th to Aug. 24th...We are a family of 5 so saving money is so important. The last trip for us was Aug. 2006 with only 2 kids so this will be our 5yr olds 1st trip there. This trip is so important to my husband and I because our kids have no idea about it. We aren't telling them until the day we leave. If we can't score free dining does anyone know if a resort room discount will be offered for our dates. We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside. Any info for us saving money would be so appreciated. I have been so stressed saving for this vacation to make sure everything is perfect...I can't wait til we leave!!! :confused:

I'm with you. Along with thousands of others. The latest rumor is that bookings are pretty solid. I think once FD is announced and 60% of people change their reservations, something will be offered. Most likely mid May. On the rumor page it said to expect the FD dates to be announced on May 9th. That means another week or two for any other offers. Good luck. We are traveling on 8/21 discount or no. Family trip before school starts.

skier_pete 05-02-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1971 (Post 48280101)
I'm with you. Along with thousands of others. The latest rumor is that bookings are pretty solid.

I've been following Free Dining rumors and reality since 2007, the first time we used free dining, and I am also in the boat hoping for free dining for our November trip.

After paying attention to this for 7 years now, the only thing I can tell you with a high degree of certainty is that whatever rumors are out there, they are almost certainly wrong. The rumor mill hasn't gotten the dates right once in 7 years, at least not more than a day or so before the "official" announcement.

Danny25 is one of the more reliable sources, and he has "confirmed" a lot of the current dates (9/2 - 9/25) and the starting date (May 9th), and not to say he's wrong, but even he is not always 100% on target.

Spacedog1975 05-02-2013 03:30 PM

I'm hoping that late October happens this year.

salemnews 05-02-2013 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skier_pete (Post 48280302)

I've been following Free Dining rumors and reality since 2007, the first time we used free dining, and I am also in the boat hoping for free dining for our November trip.

After paying attention to this for 7 years now, the only thing I can tell you with a high degree of certainty is that whatever rumors are out there, they are almost certainly wrong. The rumor mill hasn't gotten the dates right once in 7 years, at least not more than a day or so before the "official" announcement.

Danny25 is one of the more reliable sources, and he has "confirmed" a lot of the current dates (9/2 - 9/25) and the starting date (May 9th), and not to say he's wrong, but even he is not always 100% on target.

I'm heading down Nov 5-11. Do you have any idea about free dining? I'm staring to book next week! Any news can help

black562 05-02-2013 07:41 PM

Sorry to say but these dates are solid.

salemnews 05-02-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black562 (Post 48282706)
Sorry to say but these dates are solid. The packets have already been sent to the TAs.

So wait that means that week there is no free dining? What weeks in November are there free dining?

black562 05-02-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salemnews (Post 48282761)
So wait that means that week there is no free dining? What weeks in November are there free dining?

So far it's just September 2-25.

skier_pete 05-02-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salemnews (Post 48282445)
I'm heading down Nov 5-11. Do you have any idea about free dining? I'm staring to book next week! Any news can help

I have no insider knowledge - but based on previous years, I wouldn't expect that week will have free dining. It is Jersey week and they have never done free dining during Jersey week.

black562 is probably right about the September free dining. There could still be more dates in the fall, but this would likely not be determined just yet.

cuteduck223 05-02-2013 10:09 PM

no offense, because i think discounts are great and all...but i'd really love for disney to change their discounts...make them a little more random. I think too many people "expect" all these great discounts and upgrades...and then instead of being happy when they happen, get upset when they don't. We always plan full price for a trip, and then a discount becomes an added bonus.

I'm really not trying to be mean, or for anyone to be offended. I just think that sometimes we forget Disney is a business, and people who constantly "expect" disney to do all these magical things...makes it tougher for disney to do just that.

Our best trips have been special little extras...simple things...like a wave or comment from a parade character, playing hide-n-seek during a meet and greet, etc. The trouble is, it isn't magical or special when someone pushes in front of you, or complains about waiting 10 minutes in a line. OR abuses the current systems, etc.

Sorry. Rant over. :confused3

spidet1964 05-03-2013 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuteduck223 (Post 48284086)
no offense, because i think discounts are great and all...but i'd really love for disney to change their discounts...make them a little more random. I think too many people "expect" all these great discounts and upgrades...and then instead of being happy when they happen, get upset when they don't. We always plan full price for a trip, and then a discount becomes an added bonus.

I'm really not trying to be mean, or for anyone to be offended. I just think that sometimes we forget Disney is a business, and people who constantly "expect" disney to do all these magical things...makes it tougher for disney to do just that.

Our best trips have been special little extras...simple things...like a wave or comment from a parade character, playing hide-n-seek during a meet and greet, etc. The trouble is, it isn't magical or special when someone pushes in front of you, or complains about waiting 10 minutes in a line. OR abuses the current systems, etc.

Sorry. Rant over. :confused3

I agree plus people really act like free dining is owed to them. Everybody needs to remember now that they are filling the resorts and the parks it will probably go away. :grouphug:

mm1971 05-03-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuteduck223 (Post 48284086)
no offense, because i think discounts are great and all...but i'd really love for disney to change their discounts...make them a little more random. I think too many people "expect" all these great discounts and upgrades...and then instead of being happy when they happen, get upset when they don't. We always plan full price for a trip, and then a discount becomes an added bonus.

I'm really not trying to be mean, or for anyone to be offended. I just think that sometimes we forget Disney is a business, and people who constantly "expect" disney to do all these magical things...makes it tougher for disney to do just that.

Our best trips have been special little extras...simple things...like a wave or comment from a parade character, playing hide-n-seek during a meet and greet, etc. The trouble is, it isn't magical or special when someone pushes in front of you, or complains about waiting 10 minutes in a line. OR abuses the current systems, etc.

Sorry. Rant over. :confused3

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidet1964 (Post 48285031)
I agree plus people really act like free dining is owed to them. Everybody needs to remember now that they are filling the resorts and the parks it will probably go away. :grouphug:

We travel the week of August 21. There was no expectation when we booked...and to be honest, I would prefer a RO discount since we don't usually have too many sit down meals. We are going regardless, but it would have been nice to get a discount. We usually travel at slower periods where no discounts are offered. Crowds tend to be lower. :thumbsup2

They have RO until 8/14 and then reportedly FD 9/2. The last two weeks of August are usually slower than the summer period they are discounting. I guess I'll wait to see if they offer something once all those that "expected" FD in August move the ressies to September or cancel. Our vacation is planned around other events so no changing. We save up and have the vacation paid before booking so the $$ is not an issue. Would be a nice bonus though.

As far as the magic, we have always loved the little things that always seem to happen as well. Nothing expected, just a great time with the family. I actually can't remember a time we have not been pleasantly surprised about something.pixiedust:

wiigirl 05-03-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 (Post 48280445)
I'm hoping that late October happens this year.

Me too!

Spacedog1975 05-03-2013 11:46 AM

I'm pretty certain that everyone that enjoys the free dining promotion is HOPING for it as opposed to DEMANDING it.

It is clearly a very effective promotion.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.