The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Question about renting DVC points (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3104883)

Kai Rose 05-01-2013 12:37 PM

Question about renting DVC points

Hi, I'm really new to DIS, so I'm not sure if I'm doing any of this correctly. I am also technology-challenged. I am already planning a summer 2014 trip for my family, and I have read a few things about renting DVC points. It seems like a good way to save money on a deluxe, but I have a few concerns. I want to stay at Boardwalk, but a studio is the only thing in our budget. The one bed and one foldout sofa would be a problem for my family with two kids. My son is a tall fourteen-year-old. Could we use the points for a standard room? Any other suggestions or comments about renting DVC points would be greatly appreciated.

JKMJ441724 05-01-2013 01:06 PM

lovetoscrap 05-01-2013 04:54 PM

Moving to our DVC board.

Chuck S 05-01-2013 05:02 PM

No, resorts that have a DVC Component will not allow members to book standard non-DVC rooms on points.

OKW is the only DVC resort that has two real queen beds in a studio.

You could rent points for the Polynesian or Grand Floridian, but I would guess it would actually cost more than booking a cash room. It takes a lot of points to book a room at a non-DVC resort, and there is an addition $95 trade out fee to use the points outside the DVC system.

DebbieB 05-01-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai Rose (Post 48267643)
Hi, I'm really new to DIS, so I'm not sure if I'm doing any of this correctly. I am also technology-challenged. I am already planning a summer 2014 trip for my family, and I have read a few things about renting DVC points. It seems like a good way to save money on a deluxe, but I have a few concerns. I want to stay at Boardwalk, but a studio is the only thing in our budget. The one bed and one foldout sofa would be a problem for my family with two kids. My son is a tall fourteen-year-old. Could we use the points for a standard room? Any other suggestions or comments about renting DVC points would be greatly appreciated.

No, you can't use points at Boardwalk Inn. Your best bet would be a 1 bedroom at OKW. It would give you a king bed, queen sofabed & twin sleeper chair.

starry_solo 05-01-2013 05:04 PM

The best price is typically for a studio (renting). Otherwise, if you need a room with 2 queen beds, you may want to look at value resorts. Or check if WDW has 40% off deluxe hotels during the time you are going.

Chuck S 05-01-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry_solo (Post 48270494)
The best price is typically for a studio (renting). Otherwise, if you need a room with 2 queen beds, you may want to look at value resorts. Or check if WDW has 40% off deluxe hotels during the time you are going.

I think value resorts are double/full size beds. For a queen you'd need a moderate or deluxe.

KristinS 05-01-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kai Rose (Post 48267643)

I'm new too the world of DVC renting and have questions about renting points myself--but I'm very familiar with WDW itself and might I suggest getting a 1-bedroom family suite at the Art of Animation Resort? It's a value resort and not as centralized as Boardwalk, but it might fit your budget and purposes a bit better. I've stayed at all 3 value resorts in the AS cul-de-sac as well as Pop Century, and the bus rides to the parks aren't so bad. :)

Kai Rose 05-02-2013 10:41 AM

Thanks for your help, everyone. I think I am going to forget about DVC for this trip and just get a standard room at BW. The location is what we are looking for for the 2014 trip. Your input helped me a great deal. Thanks again.