The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hoop de Do or Sci Fi and then Fantasmic? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3104295)

indycindy 04-30-2013 11:47 AM

Hoop de Do or Sci Fi and then Fantasmic?

Cost is not a consideration here, since we are on the deluxe dining plan, and I am actually having trouble trying to figure out how to use all of the meals....

So, if money wasn't a consideration, how would you rather spend an evening with 7 and 10-year-old daughters......eating at sci fi and then going to Fantasmic or going to the Hoop de Do Revue?

Thanks for your thoughts

Wendy31 04-30-2013 12:16 PM

In all our trips to WDW, we've never experienced Hoop Dee Doo, although it generally gets really good reviews.

I think one reason we've never done it is because we live about 3 hours away from Gatlinburg, TN & the Smoky Mountains. And the "theme" of the Hoop Dee Doo show reminds me too much of the types of experiences we can get closer to home. While I'm at WDW, we'd rather do things we can't do at home, if that makes sense.

We really enjoy Fantasmic, & one of my kids' favorite restaurants at WDW is Sci-Fi.

So, out of the two options you listed, my pick would be Sci-Fi & Fantasmic!

If you're worried about using all your dining credits, instead of Sci-Fi, you could schedule a Fantasmic Lunch or Dinner Package at Hollywood Brown Derby which is 2 table-service credits.

However, like I said, my kids love Sci-Fi & wouldn't want to trade the experience of Sci-Fi for the Brown Derby.

ready4mouse 04-30-2013 12:18 PM

I would suggest the Hollywood Brown Derby Fantasmic package...we have always had excellent food here- actually on of the restaurants my kids requested again for this year! Plus, they give you a ticket to allow you to get seats to Fantasmic and not wait 2 hours in line- a definite bonus!

We like the Hoop, but consider that to be our "big" thing for the night. I wouldn't want to waste that much time away from DHS getting to FW, seeing Hoop, and then getting back for F!...

Hopefully 04-30-2013 12:26 PM

In my opinion they are not even in the same league. Hoop Dee Doo Review for sure.
I took my children first when they were the ages of yours. I have since had the pleasure of going with my adult DS as he shared his love of the experience with his son and daughter, again the ages of yours. I have also gone with an all adult group of 30's to 60's and we always had a blast!
It is good "down home cooking" comfort food. Not gourmet, but good.
The menu includes all you are to eat salad, corn bread, fried chicken, ribs, barbeque beans, mashed potatoe, corn and strawberry shortcake for dessert. The cost includes tax and gratuity as well as unlimited beverages including beer, wine and sangria.
The show is western themed full of singing, dancing, audience participation and lots of corny jokes. It is lively and lots of fun.
I think your kids are a great age to have a great evening.
This show is pure Disney and fills up 3 times a night, every night since 1971.
I can't recommend it enough.
Personally, I don't think Sci Fi/Fantasmic is that great an evening.
Good Luck

indycindy 04-30-2013 12:32 PM

Well, it would be our "Big thing" for the night too....we are doing one or the other. Either Sci Fi and then Fantasmic or JUST the Hoop. We wouldn't go over to WL and try to see the Hoop and then make it back for Fantasmic. I don't even think that would be possible.

I was going to do the Brown Derby/Fantasmic package, but almost every one of our dinners is a fancy-schmancy signature restaurant, so I thought they might love the Sci Fi for the experience. Also, someone told me that the seats for that Fantasmic package weren't very good. I would MUCH rather eat at the Brown Derby! Maybe we should do that.

I'm not dying to see the Hoop, but it just gets such good reviews. I am honestly not dying to wait in line and see Fantasmic either, but it gets such good reviews.....haha!

indycindy 04-30-2013 12:34 PM

Hmmmmmm, Hopefully, I posted before I read what you wrote......now I am thinking Hoop!

latexscooter 04-30-2013 12:44 PM

Hoop Dee Doo. It is such a fun night filled with laughter and crazy behavior you can't go wrong. The show is just hysterical and everyone gets involved. You really need to just book it now!

ArmyVet80 04-30-2013 01:50 PM

We always eat at Sci-Fi while at HS and have seen Fantasmic a few times. We have also done the Hoop Dee Doo experience.. Of the two I would recommend the Hoop Dee Doo if you have never done it. The interaction is fun with the actors/actresses. The food is good and it's all you can eat.

Hollywood Brown Derby is pretty good food but kinda "stuffy" for our likings. When we are on vacation we want fun and exciting. HBD is nice but nothing fun or exciting about it.

Pakey 04-30-2013 01:56 PM

I think Hoop de Doo is at least 10 times better than Fantasmic/Sci Fi.

Wood Nymph 04-30-2013 02:02 PM

Hoop Dee Doo is great. That would be a wonderful way to spend an evening.

Can't you do Fantasmic another time?

MrsDuck 04-30-2013 02:09 PM

I'd do Sci-Fi/Fantasmic.

Wendy31 04-30-2013 03:49 PM

If you haven't ever done either, I'd probably go w/ Fantasmic if I were you.

I'm a sentimental sap, but I really do enjoy the storyline of Fantasmic - how Mickey saves the day, the princesses w/ their princes sailing by on the riverboat, & then, at the end, how Steamboat Willie sails by w/ all the characters... it just makes me smile. :goodvibes

Fantasmic isn't something we have to do every trip, but I would see it before I saw Hoop Dee Doo - Fantasmic is more "Disney" to me.

Again, though, Hoop Dee Doo gets great reviews, so I don't think you'll go wrong w/ either experience. While at Disney, we just prefer to do things that we can't do at home, & the whole "Western/Country" theme is something we can experience closer to home.

And my kids love Sci-Fi!

W/o the Fantasmic Package, though, you'll have to stand in line/wait a longer time to see Fantasmic whereas w/ Hoop Dee Doo, you'll have a reserved table waiting for you.

Since you have the DxDP, you could do a Fantasmic Package for lunch at either Mama Melrose's or Brown Derby & then have dinner at Sci-Fi before Fantasmic. Or have lunch at Sci-Fi & then do a Fantasmic Package for dinner.