The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Second stay at Pop - not feelin' the love anymore (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3102554)

FortForever 04-27-2013 12:25 AM

Second stay at Pop - not feelin' the love anymore
 
I thought Pop would be our new favorite, since we're trying to replace POR with a value. Our first stay here was fantastic and we all loved it.

Now, I'm back solo for nine days and some of the magic has definitely faded.

1- They never made up my room yesterday at all. When I called the front desk, they blamed it on me for leaving the room too late. (10:30am)

2- Cleaning people sound light they're having a bar fight, complete with furniture throwing, while cleaning room next door at 7:30am when I'm still trying to sleep.

3- I hear creepy noises at night that sounds like someone trying to get in my door. I think it's the a/c, but it creeps me out. Maybe because we had a first floor room last time and now I'm up on a balcony.

4- They run out of ice EVERY NIGHT!

spiceycat 04-27-2013 04:08 AM

sorry your trip is not as great as you had hoped.

do you have your car? then might go visit the drug store for ear plugs and something to put on the door - that would stop entry or at least send an alarm.

that say might be calling the front desk to ask security to come by.....

Aliceacc 04-27-2013 06:07 AM

Are you so unhappy that you would consider changing buildings or resorts? A different building would probably mean a different cleaning crew and a different ice machine.

Disneylover99 04-27-2013 06:20 AM

Maybe you notice the noises next door and creepy sounds because you are alone. I know that when I'm with my family, they are noisy enough that I would never notice someone else's noise!

FortForever 04-27-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiceycat (Post 48226873)
sorry your trip is not as great as you had hoped.

Thanks. :goodvibes

I really am having a wonderful trip. Just a few little annoyances, but not enough to mess up my vacation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliceacc (Post 48227036)
Are you so unhappy that you would consider changing buildings or resorts? A different building would probably mean a different cleaning crew and a different ice machine.

I think I will book this resort again, just request any building but this one. It's on the end and kind of secluded, which I liked at first, but then started getting creepy with the door handle jiggling.

The ice that runs out is in the food court. When I come in at night, I like to refill my mug (if they're still open) before coming to my room. Every night, they are out of ice so I have to just fill my mug with beverage.

It's an annoyance, but I can still fill my bucket at the building to have ice for my drink.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneylover99 (Post 48227064)
Maybe you notice the noises next door and creepy sounds because you are alone. I know that when I'm with my family, they are noisy enough that I would never notice someone else's noise!

I was thinking that exact same thing at first, but now I'm not so sure. Because I haven't even turned on the TV and it's very quiet without my family, I figured I was just being paranoid from being a woman alone.

The first few nights I was here there was no door handle jiggling. I decided that was because it was cool out and maybe A/C never kicked on.

Then, two nights in a row, it kept sounding like someone was periodically trying my door. I thought maybe the kick start of the A/C was vibrating it. That theory got blown out of the water last night when it never happened, despite A/C running.

I've never felt unsafe at Disney, including this trip. Just a little creeped out. My room location is just not ideal for a solo female. I am on the top floor, on the end by stairs that nobody uses. The view of my door is completely blocked by trees.

After two nights of being awakened by the door handle, last night I stayed awake late ready to look out the peep hole and it never happened.

ADisneyQueen 04-27-2013 12:39 PM

I'm sure if you went to the front desk and told them your concerns of being a solo traveler and being in an isolated area they would give you a room change.

When we were at POP in June they also ran out of ice every evening by dinnertime. Not sure why they can't have extra made.

tofubeast 04-27-2013 12:47 PM

I concur. Ask to be moved and explain your concerns. They shouldn't give you a hassle.

mikedoyleblogger 04-27-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FortForever (Post 48226480)
I thought Pop would be our new favorite, since we're trying to replace POR with a value. Our first stay here was fantastic and we all loved it.

Now, I'm back solo for nine days and some of the magic has definitely faded.

1- They never made up my room yesterday at all. When I called the front desk, they blamed it on me for leaving the room too late. (10:30am)

2- Cleaning people sound light they're having a bar fight, complete with furniture throwing, while cleaning room next door at 7:30am when I'm still trying to sleep.

3- I hear creepy noises at night that sounds like someone trying to get in my door. I think it's the a/c, but it creeps me out. Maybe because we had a first floor room last time and now I'm up on a balcony.

4- They run out of ice EVERY NIGHT!

I'm sorry you're having a bad time there. Blaming the guest is not an option at Disney, so I'm really surprised you got the response you got about housekeeping. Perhaps remind the desk CM of that if it happens again, and maybe for the rest of your stay, call the front desk when you leave in the morning and let them know "you want to make sure your room is made up today." You can also report housekeeping for the early morning inappropriate noise, as well. Maybe there's a problem with the housekeeping crew that services your building? That could explain a lot.

The ice issue I know others have complained about. I know it's sucky. Wish I had an answer, though I often go "ice-less" in soft drinks and at least you end up with more drink (though it may be warmer than you like at the end.)

For the other noise, it might help to sleep with some white noise. There are white noise apps you can download if you have a smart phone. Just run the app at night (with your phone plugged in so it doesn't run down, of course), and it might mask the sound that's freaking you out. This strategy works sometimes for me and the DBF to mask mutual snoring. If it can drown us out, I'm sure drowning out an A/C won't be a problem!

AJKMOM 04-27-2013 02:48 PM

As far as the door handle jiggling, it could something as simple as kids running around doing that to everyone! I agree that being alone makes you more aware of things you think aren't right. Sorry!

GaSleepingBeautyFan 04-27-2013 07:23 PM

I run into the ice issue alot when I'm at Disney. I even ran into that issue at a hotel in Anaheim a week ago. I'd want to ice my knee and there was no ice. It was frustrating and I checked with the front desk and they said they couldn't help.

I loved being on the top floor the last time I stayed at POP. I had no neighbors which was fantastic.

Sounds like you've got some not so great housekeepers. The housekeeping issue would have me at the front desk complaining. They shouldn't be blaming you for their issue! Calling doesn't always actually get you to the front desk - it can go to a basic call center too.

The first time I stayed solo at a disney resort, I was super aware of extra noises at night. I've done it so many times now that they don't bug me. Do you have something you can use to mask the sounds like music or an app on your phone?

You could also have people who think it's funny to bother other guests late at night. I've run into that before - kids jiggling door handles, knocking on windows. That is frustrating. I don't have any advice about that one other than making sure the deadbolt is on every night so you know no one can get in easily.

I hope your stay gets better.

Aliceacc 04-27-2013 07:40 PM

To be honest, if I were spooked by noises at my door, masking them would only make me more nervous.

Instead, I would just make sure the phone was VERY close to my bed, and try to sleep.

FortForever 04-27-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJKMOM (Post 48230057)
As far as the door handle jiggling, it could something as simple as kids running around doing that to everyone! I agree that being alone makes you more aware of things you think aren't right. Sorry!

Yeah, I do think it is just kids. There are quite a few large groups of teens here right now. I have talked to some on the buses on senior trips. There are also bunches for the cheerleading and dance competition this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger (Post 48229691)
I'm sorry you're having a bad time there. Blaming the guest is not an option at Disney, so I'm really surprised you got the response you got about housekeeping.

I was surprised at that response also. The girl was very upbeat and nice about it, but still blamed me. I'll admit I left the room a bit late. Since I passed the housekeeper on the way out, and exchanged pleasantries as she saw me leave my room, I didn't think further notification would be needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliceacc (Post 48232128)
To be honest, if I were spooked by noises at my door, masking them would only make me more nervous.

Instead, I would just make sure the phone was VERY close to my bed, and try to sleep.

I do sleep with my phone, especially this week. :)

Since I drive, I also sleep with a decent size fan for white noise. It's loud, but I could still hear the door handle.

To add to the creepiness today, someone came in and opened my curtains! I have been intentionally keeping them closed. I know housekeeping always opens them, so when I stop in the afternoon, I close them again.

I know for a 100% fact that I closed them after housekeeping was here. It's the first thing I do when I enter. When I came back tonight, they were open again! UGH!! :scared:

I'm leaving tomorrow. If I do another solo trip, I will be more picky about the room. I never expected any creepiness at my happy place. I'll have to be more pro-active about staying in my comfort zone.

Fiveisaparty 04-27-2013 11:23 PM

Ugh that is scary! I am sorry :(

FortForever 04-27-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveisaparty (Post 48233738)
Ugh that is scary! I am sorry :(

Thanks. :goodvibes

I'm tired and ready to head home tomorrow anyway.

spiceycat 04-27-2013 11:48 PM

did you have fun?

did you enjoy the flower/garden festival?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.