The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Dining Plan (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   *down*grade a free dining plan? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3101539)

April7901 04-24-2013 09:12 PM

*down*grade a free dining plan?
 
I realize this is a weird question, and I searched, but didn't find anything useful. I'm also way ahead of the game and this may not even be relevant. But I like knowing my options.

I'm looking at the possibilities around September's free dining options. If it plays out for October, I'm in a bit of a conundrum.

Here's the thing. My mom and I are both fairly picky eaters, plus the thought of sitting down and eating at a TS restaurant almost every day isn't particularly appealing.

BUT - we're staying at POFQ, which has the regular DDP as it's "free" option. I realize I could switch to a value resort and get the QSDP free - and I'd save a bunch of money between the switch in rooms AND the free DP, but I'm kind of looking forward to POFQ and don't really want to give that up.

So here's my question - is it possible to downgrade the free DDP to a free QSDP? From a business perspective, it's a better deal for Disney. From a logistics perspective - I could understand if they didn't allow this.

Just trying to think ahead so I have plenty of time to decide on options.

TheDisney411 04-25-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by April7901 (Post 48205043)
I realize this is a weird question, and I searched, but didn't find anything useful. I'm also way ahead of the game and this may not even be relevant. But I like knowing my options.

I'm looking at the possibilities around September's free dining options. If it plays out for October, I'm in a bit of a conundrum.

Here's the thing. My mom and I are both fairly picky eaters, plus the thought of sitting down and eating at a TS restaurant almost every day isn't particularly appealing.

BUT - we're staying at POFQ, which has the regular DDP as it's "free" option. I realize I could switch to a value resort and get the QSDP free - and I'd save a bunch of money between the switch in rooms AND the free DP, but I'm kind of looking forward to POFQ and don't really want to give that up.

So here's my question - is it possible to downgrade the free DDP to a free QSDP? From a business perspective, it's a better deal for Disney. From a logistics perspective - I could understand if they didn't allow this.

Just trying to think ahead so I have plenty of time to decide on options.

No, you can't downgrade when you book, the WDW reservations system will automatically give you the regular DDP under a FD code at a moderate resort. After you check in you can have guest services at your resort convert the TS credits into CS credits or you can do it at each individual CS restaurant that you eat at.

magicbob 04-25-2013 07:47 AM

I would keep the DDP and convert on a case by case basis. That way, if you decide you want to try a TS meal, you've got the credit available. If you've already converted them all to CS, you're locked in.

sharonabe 04-25-2013 08:02 AM

The Disney brochure states you can use TS credits at a QS place, so no need to do any converting, just use them.

However, as others have said, you may find a few TS places while you're there. You'll be at POFQ and POR's Boatwrights is a short walk away and doesn't need an ADR. The Plaza at MK would be a fairly easy place to walk in and grab a bite in the cool A/C AND you get ice cream for dessert.

TDC Nala 04-25-2013 08:22 AM

Sorry, while upgrading is permitted, downgrading isn't. But in most if not all cases you can use your TS credits to purchase CS meals, so it can be exactly like having the quick service plan if you want.

mb_uh 04-25-2013 08:37 PM

There are lots of great buffets with something for everyone.

April7901 04-25-2013 08:59 PM

Cool, thanks!

April7901 04-25-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mb_uh (Post 48215223)
There are lots of great buffets with something for everyone.

Yeah, true - but most are character meals. I realize saying this out loud could get me banned, but I'd rather starve than go to a character meal :rotfl2:

jpessa 04-25-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicbob (Post 48207855)
I would keep the DDP and convert on a case by case basis. That way, if you decide you want to try a TS meal, you've got the credit available. If you've already converted them all to CS, you're locked in.

Can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I posted this as a question (about using TS credits for CS) and only got one respondant who told me it was not allowed.

Thanks!

sharonabe 04-25-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpessa (Post 48215716)
Can someone explain to me exactly how this works? I posted this as a question (about using TS credits for CS) and only got one respondant who told me it was not allowed.

Thanks!

Once you've used all your QS credits, you would simply tell the CM you want to use one of your remaining TS credits to purchase a meal. They will tell you if they can't do it, but as TDCNala says, most places will do this. You still only get an entree, dessert, and drink.

jpessa 04-25-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharonabe (Post 48215834)
Once you've used all your QS credits, you would simply tell the CM you want to use one of your remaining TS credits to purchase a meal. They will tell you if they can't do it, but as TDCNala says, most places will do this. You still only get an entree, dessert, and drink.

Thanks, this is what I was hoping for!!! Cheaper for me to upgrade from QSDP to DDP, because of the character meals, but don't want to HAVE to do TS every day.:cool1:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.