The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Buying while on DCL (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3100989)

Ptwolfman 04-23-2013 08:16 PM

Buying while on DCL
 
We are considering becoming members. If we wait to buy into DVC while on the Fantasy in September, are there any perks that we would get onboard that we might not get by buying on land? Thanks for any info.

Deb & Bill 04-23-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 48193769)
We are considering becoming members. If we wait to buy into DVC while on the Fantasy in September, are there any perks that we would get onboard that we might not get by buying on land? Thanks for any info.

You might only pay $50 more than resale instead of $55 more per point.

Ptwolfman 04-23-2013 09:12 PM

Has anyone done this?

ELMC 04-23-2013 09:29 PM

My understanding is that they were trying to make the incentives equal whether you bought at WDW or on a cruise, but I'm not so sure they have actually done this. It sounds like you are motivated by getting a good deal. If that is the case, I would research resales, as you can save 50% or more vs. buying direct.

islandtimect 04-27-2013 09:21 AM

We just got off the Dream, and here's what we were told.

$145 per point for AKV and Aulani
Save $3 per pt buying 50 pts
Save $5 per pt buying 100 pts
Save $12 per pt buying 160 pts
Bigger discounts after that

$1000 onboard credit or in gift cards (can use to pay maintenance fees, at Disney, etc) if enter a contract by 9am the second to last day of cruise

Receive points back dated to 2012
No 2012 dues
2013 dues are prorated from the date of your cruise

You can compare this to what's being reported on dvcnews.com to see if its better. If you want to speak with my guide, I can pm you. Enjoy your cruise!

ELMC 04-27-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtimect (Post 48227819)
We just got off the Dream, and here's what we were told.

$145 per point for AKV and Aulani
Save $3 per pt buying 50 pts
Save $5 per pt buying 100 pts
Save $12 per pt buying 160 pts
Bigger discounts after that

$1000 onboard credit or in gift cards (can use to pay maintenance fees, at Disney, etc) if enter a contract by 9am the second to last day of cruise

Receive points back dated to 2012
No 2012 dues
2013 dues are prorated from the date of your cruise


You can compare this to what's being reported on dvcnews.com to see if its better. If you want to speak with my guide, I can pm you. Enjoy your cruise!

Quick point of clarification on this, as I feel it is a misleading tactic used by DVC salespeople. They are not back dating your points. If your use year for 2013 has not come up yet (if your UY is Jun or later) then you are still in the 2012 use year. They are legally obligated to give you those points. Seeing as how maintenance fees are on a calendar year basis, there are technically no "2012" dues, but you are paying calendar year 2013 dues starting immediately.

Thanks for sharing this information! :)

Ptwolfman 04-27-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELMC (Post 48228471)

Quick point of clarification on this, as I feel it is a misleading tactic used by DVC salespeople. They are not back dating your points. If your use year for 2013 has not come up yet (if your UY is Jun or later) then you are still in the 2012 use year. They are legally obligated to give you those points. Seeing as how maintenance fees are on a calendar year basis, there are technically no "2012" dues, but you are paying calendar year 2013 dues starting immediately.

Thanks for sharing this information! :)

Was this for new DVC Members?

ELMC 04-28-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELMC (Post 48228471)
Quick point of clarification on this, as I feel it is a misleading tactic used by DVC salespeople. They are not back dating your points. If your use year for 2013 has not come up yet (if your UY is Jun or later) then you are still in the 2012 use year. They are legally obligated to give you those points. Seeing as how maintenance fees are on a calendar year basis, there are technically no "2012" dues, but you are paying calendar year 2013 dues starting immediately.

Thanks for sharing this information! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 48232855)
Was this for new DVC Members?

This is for anybody. If you are currently in your 2012 UY then they are obligated to give you 2012 points. The fact that it is calendar year 2013 is irrelevant. Many DVC guides make it sound like they are giving you a deal, but all they are really giving you is what you are entitled to.

Deb & Bill 04-28-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ptwolfman (Post 48232855)
Was this for new DVC Members?

It is for anyone who buys direct. Consider the UY Calendar instead of the Jan-Dec Calendar when you figure what points you are getting. Forget about the standard calendar year when you have DVC points.

Figment1990 04-29-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandtimect (Post 48227819)
We just got off the Dream, and here's what we were told.

$145 per point for AKV and Aulani
Save $3 per pt buying 50 pts
Save $5 per pt buying 100 pts
Save $12 per pt buying 160 pts
Bigger discounts after that

$1000 onboard credit or in gift cards (can use to pay maintenance fees, at Disney, etc) if enter a contract by 9am the second to last day of cruise

Receive points back dated to 2012
No 2012 dues
2013 dues are prorated from the date of your cruise

You can compare this to what's being reported on dvcnews.com to see if its better. If you want to speak with my guide, I can pm you. Enjoy your cruise!

Did the same discounts apply to other resorts purchased direct? Like BWV or VWL?

Deb & Bill 04-29-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Figment1990 (Post 48246978)
Did the same discounts apply to other resorts purchased direct? Like BWV or VWL?

In the past, the "sold out" resorts were not included with any discounts to purchase direct.

bonrea 04-30-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb & Bill (Post 48247250)
In the past, the "sold out" resorts were not included with any discounts to purchase direct.

This is very correct! Do keep in mind that the sales people will tell you that such n' such resort is sold out that you may be interested in. Keep at them for the number of points you want. They always have points that Disney did ROFR on in a resale deal. We got 200 points in 2011 for VWL for less than $100 per point when they insisted it was sold out.

The points end earlier than if we bought add ons to our existing contracts. We don't care about that. We will be dead and gone before that year rolls around anyways. :hug:

Also; some people keep forgetting this one point. Resale DVC points purchased after (I think) April 2010 can no longer be used for transfer to DCL or RCI or Adventures By Disney. ONLY points purchased direct from Disney or Add Ons (after that date) to existing contacts can be used for DCL or RCI or Adventures By Disney.

The CMs see on their computer screen a big red box stating that "This Contract Ineligible for Transfers".

z28wiz 04-30-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonrea (Post 48257976)
This is very correct! Do keep in mind that the sales people will tell you that such n' such resort is sold out that you may be interested in. Keep at them for the number of points you want. They always have points that Disney did ROFR on in a resale deal. We got 200 points in 2011 for VWL for less than $100 per point when they insisted it was sold out.

The points end earlier than if we bought add ons to our existing contracts. We don't care about that. We will be dead and gone before that year rolls around anyways. :hug:

Also; some people keep forgetting this one point. Resale DVC points purchased after (I think) April 2010 can no longer be used for transfer to DCL or RCI or Adventures By Disney. ONLY points purchased direct from Disney or Add Ons (after that date) to existing contacts can be used for DCL or RCI or Adventures By Disney.

The CMs see on their computer screen a big red box stating that "This Contract Ineligible for Transfers".


You are wrong on a few points. You can still use RCI trades if you bought after April 2010. Also the adventures by disney and DCL use a tremendous amount of points and you could rent them and still have money for flights and so on after paying for your trip.

Points are actually sold out they dont have them now and long waitlists exists for all the older resorts.

The price per point is $130 and up now depending on the resort.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.