The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Early Morning Run at AKL (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3100317)

OnlyWhnChasd 04-22-2013 04:50 PM

Early Morning Run at AKL

We finally confirmed a trip back to WDW and will be staying at AKL for a week in September. :thumbsup2 Planning ahead, it looks like I'm going to be in the middle of marathon training again (seems to happen every time we go to Disney) and will need to put in a 20 mile run while there. I prefer to do this in the morning before everyone gets up. Since we now have kids that are early risers, this is going to mean hitting the pavement around 4am. Does anyone think that will be a problem? Meaning, do you think anyone is going to hassle me about what the heck I'm doing traipsing around the resort at 4am? I can't remember what time I went out last time I was there but I'm pretty sure it wasn't that early!

Twoboysnmygirl 04-22-2013 04:54 PM

No one will bother you about being up, I know that for certain. I LAID on the AKL lobby floor for over an hour at 3am taking photos, dragging chairs around to use as a tripod and no one cared at all that I was lurking about. In fact, I only saw one lone CM at the desk, the place was deserted.

Be careful out on those roads that early though, reflective clothing or something!

magicbob 04-22-2013 05:01 PM

The one negative about AKL for me is that there's not a great place to run. CBR and POR have nice wide trails that are great for a morning or evening run. I was hoping AKL would have a trail with animal views or something, but did not find one.

bookwormde 04-22-2013 05:02 PM

There is a road that shoots off by the Kidani tennis courts that is not heavily traveled, not sure how far it goes

OnlyWhnChasd 04-22-2013 05:12 PM

Not so concerned about the road/trail. I've run at AKL before and know there isn't much to offer. In the past I've just done loops of the out-and-back between Jambo and Kidani and plan to do that again. Yeah, it gets monotonous but I'm not really looking for entertainment at that hour, just the chance to get the miles in. As long as I'm not going to freak anyone out thinking I'm up to something nefarious during the early morning hours, that's all I'm really worried about! ;)

MEK 04-22-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd (Post 48182180)
Not so concerned about the road/trail. I've run at AKL before and know there isn't much to offer. In the past I've just done loops of the out-and-back between Jambo and Kidani and plan to do that again. Yeah, it gets monotonous but I'm not really looking for entertainment at that hour, just the chance to get the miles in. As long as I'm not going to freak anyone out thinking I'm up to something nefarious during the early morning hours, that's all I'm really worried about! ;)

Then you know what your up against because IMHO it is the absolute worst resort to run at. There is nothing of interest to look at and no paths to follow. There is a nice view from the treadmill in Kidani. Just sayin'

Too bad you aren't staying at a Boardwalk resort because the out and back to HS is perfect and the ability to actually run on sidewalks on the real roads.

Big Difference.

And then there's SSR with the connection between OKW and the tree houses. Another good spot to put in some miles.

OK - I'll stop now.

Good luck with your marathon training.

MEK 04-22-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bookwormde (Post 48182085)
There is a road that shoots off by the Kidani tennis courts that is not heavily traveled, not sure how far it goes

I stayed there a couple years ago and it actually ended in a construction site and then I got worried that I really shouldn't be there so I turned around and ran back. Maybe its better now.

Deb & Bill 04-22-2013 09:37 PM

The best you can do at AKL is the treadmill which gets real old when you are running 20 miles. Or you can run back and forth between the two buildings (about one half mile between Kidani Village and Jambo House) and through the parking lot. Disney Security will pick you up if you are running along side the roadways.

sunshinecruise 04-23-2013 06:35 AM

Maybe you could talk to one of the security supervisors the day before your run and let them know that you will be out there running in the morning.

Deb & Bill 04-23-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshinecruise (Post 48186158)
Maybe you could talk to one of the security supervisors the day before your run and let them know that you will be out there running in the morning.

No, they will stop you from running on the road. It is dark early in the morning and there will be truck traffic making deliveries to the parks and resorts. Not safe to be running on the road.

If the OP has a car, he/she could drive to DTD and run through DTD and over to SSR. Otherwise the OP is stuck with the parking lots at AKL and the path between the two buildings. Or a treadmill.

OnlyWhnChasd 04-23-2013 02:05 PM

Treadmill won't work. The fitness center doesn't open until 6am and I want to be almost done by then. Plus, they have limits on how long you can stay on. If no one is waiting it's fine, but in the morning someone is always waiting.

Again though, I'm not concerned about WHERE to run at AKL. I've done 15 miles back and forth between Jambo and Kidani before so adding another 5 isn't a big deal. Scenery doesn't matter to me. It's not a recreational run. My only concern was the time of day I'd be running and the odds I'd raise any concerns with security. IRL, I'm extremely shy and being stopped by security would (to me) be somewhat mortifying. If it happens though, I'll just tell them I'm trying to make it to MK so I can be first in line for ETWB. :rotfl2: