The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How do you decide how many points to add on? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099271)

rusafee1183 04-20-2013 06:51 PM

How do you decide how many points to add on?
 
These are the times I wish I could just talk this out rather than type it, because I don't know if I will explain myself properly.... :rotfl2:

My husband and I already own 120 points at AKV, and would also love to own at VWL for priority booking. How do you decide what is a good number for an add on? I have been looking at points charts and 50 points won't do too much, but would leave us with a "whole" amount of points (170 total) that is much more manageable for our needs overall.

If we added 100 that would give us much more flexibilty for booking needs, but it would be a greater upfront cost. I'm sure we *would* use them (more points leads to more trips... of course) or rent them, but I'm much more comfortable with the cost as far as 50 goes.

So, how do you decide how many to add on when strictly looking at it from a booking priority stand point?? :upsidedow

cbnsoul 04-20-2013 08:16 PM

We own(ed) at 4 resorts, 2 with only 50 point contracts for home booking priority. We just sold BWV today. 50 points just doesn't go very far (unless you bank or borrow in a given year to get it to 100 or 150). We are now on wait lists through Disney for BCV and BLT to add to the 100 points we have at each resort. I would really LOVE to own at the Poly at some point but just don't know if I can justify the cost. BLT is expensive enough as it is - imagine what the Poly will be when it is finally available especially given the Poly's popularity!

3 Hobbits 2 Disney 04-20-2013 08:32 PM

More More More!
 
We are going through this very exercise. We are 3 - DH, DD 13, and me. We have been staying in 1BR for most stays. We stayed in a 2BR a couple of trips ago and DD loved not having to sleep on the pull out and we loved the extra BR. So what I have started to do is analyze our stay history and identify what the point value would have been if we had stayed in a 2BR. Adding to that we now have less flexibility in taking DD out of school so I anticipate more 4-5 day stays over weekends with weekend points.

Perhaps a similar analysis would help you.

Good luck! pixiedust:

lodge 04-20-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbnsoul (Post 48164669)
We own(ed) at 4 resorts, 2 with only 50 point contracts for home booking priority. We just sold BWV today. 50 points just doesn't go very far (unless you bank or borrow in a given year to get it to 100 or 150). We are now on wait lists through Disney for BCV and BLT to add to the 100 points we have at each resort. I would really LOVE to own at the Poly at some point but just don't know if I can justify the cost. BLT is expensive enough as it is - imagine what the Poly will be when it is finally available especially given the Poly's popularity!

I always loved your colorful, well balanced signature!! :sad:

Congratulations on your sale.

To the OP, try to determine if banking/borrowing or split stays will work for you. 25-100 don't get too long a stay at VWL, with most being studios (stating the obvious, I know). To determine how many to add on, consider your yearly MF's (now and try to hypothesize how you'd handle increases) and your initial up front purchase. Then weigh that against the (usual) lower cost for a bit larger add on's. See which you feel more comfortable with... with few exceptions, I believe people can figure where they stand on a purchase after a short time of introspection (with input).

rusafee1183 04-20-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbnsoul (Post 48164669)
We own(ed) at 4 resorts, 2 with only 50 point contracts for home booking priority. We just sold BWV today. 50 points just doesn't go very far (unless you bank or borrow in a given year to get it to 100 or 150). We are now on wait lists through Disney for BCV and BLT to add to the 100 points we have at each resort. I would really LOVE to own at the Poly at some point but just don't know if I can justify the cost. BLT is expensive enough as it is - imagine what the Poly will be when it is finally available especially given the Poly's popularity!

I think we decided to go with 60 points. That is enough to get us a studio for a week with only having to bank or borrow - not both. And if we stay longer than a week, I will have to pray a wait list comes through, or I guess we could always split stay.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you add direct instead of resale?

I only ask because I am also getting in the wait list going direct, but I know that is frowned upon around here by most.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Missyrose 04-20-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusafee1183

I think we decided to go with 60 points. That is enough to get us a studio for a week with only having to bank or borrow - not both. And if we stay longer than a week, I will have to pray a wait list comes through, or I guess we could always split stay.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you add direct instead of resale?

I only ask because I am also getting in the wait list going direct, but I know that is frowned upon around here by most.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Finding a small resale contract with a specific UY can be difficult. So buying a small contract through Disney can be much faster. But Disney just jacked the prices of the older resorts up to $130 per point, which makes a direct purchase pretty hard to swallow, for me at least.

rusafee1183 04-20-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missyrose (Post 48165173)

Finding a small resale contract with a specific UY can be difficult.

Ultimately, this is exactly why we decided to go through Disney again. I wish I could have been on the resale bandwagon a few years ago.... I feel like it was easier/cheaper to get smaller contracts before. Now, IF they have the resort I want and IF its in my use year and IF its 100 points or less its gone in minutes.

I just don't need that kind of stress. And that's before ROFR!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

cbnsoul 04-20-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lodge (Post 48164825)

I always loved your colorful, well balanced signature!! :sad:

Congratulations on your sale.

Thanks! I'll miss it too - hoping to (maybe) add the Poly too it one day!

cbnsoul 04-20-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusafee1183 (Post 48164830)
If you don't mind me asking, what made you add direct instead of resale?

Two reasons. First, as has been stated, availability of small resales. Second, I plan on having (most of) these points for a L-O-N-G time and while we love going to WDW, I don't know if we may want to use them for something other than the parks as we get older so want the flexibility that buying direct gives you.

CarolMN 04-21-2013 06:39 AM

Don't worry about what others think - they are not the ones who will be stuck with the results! :teeth:

FWIW, there just haven't been many VWL resale listings lately and prices for the smaller contracts seem to be rising. A lot of those that do come up are stripped. You may be waiting a long time just to get an opportunity to bid on one with no guarantee you'll have the winning bid.

There's nothing wrong with buying direct if you want/need the points soon. Good luck!

Minniesgal 04-21-2013 07:07 AM

What i did is put together a spreadsheet of holiday wishes. i worked out what would we really like to do for the next 5 or so trips. Once i knew how many points i needed to do that i looked at the affordability of that and scaled back the plans as necessary eventually i landed on a number of points i thought was affordable and would allow us to do things we would like.

rusafee1183 04-21-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolMN (Post 48167076)
Don't worry about what others think - they are not the ones who will be stuck with the results! :teeth:

FWIW, there just haven't been many VWL resale listings lately and prices for the smaller contracts seem to be rising. A lot of those that do come up are stripped. You may be waiting a long time just to get an opportunity to bid on one with no guarantee you'll have the winning bid.

There's nothing wrong with buying direct if you want/need the points soon. Good luck!

Thank you! :cool1:

We are emailing Mark tomorrow to have him add us to the waitlist!!! When I spoke with him the other day, he said that there was about 50 people in front of us. :faint: I am hoping that the timing works out, and I have enough time to save a bit more - and not have to wait TOO long. :crazy2:

I couldn't be more excited! :banana:

jstarcze 04-22-2013 11:43 AM

Here was my planning thoughts for the add-ons that I did.

1. Where do I want to stay
2. What size accommodations do I want. (for me it was 1 BR and no more studios)
3. When do I want to go
4. How many times per year do I want to go

This gets me an approximate number of how many points I will need.
then comes:

5. How many points can I afford.

I brought in two separate add-ons to get the number of points that I wanted. Hope this helps. :beach:

rusafee1183 04-23-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jstarcze (Post 48178689)
Here was my planning thoughts for the add-ons that I did.

1. Where do I want to stay
2. What size accommodations do I want. (for me it was 1 BR and no more studios)
3. When do I want to go
4. How many times per year do I want to go

This gets me an approximate number of how many points I will need.
then comes:

5. How many points can I afford.

I brought in two separate add-ons to get the number of points that I wanted. Hope this helps. :beach:

Thanks!!

I think that was the tough thing, we would be perfectly happy in a studio, but would prefer a 1br if cost was no object. And for now, we are just a couple with no children and don't know if/when that will change.

For now, after this small add on I think we have enough points to be happy with.

Well, at least until add-on-itis bites us again :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

cseca 04-23-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusafee1183 (Post 48193370)

Thanks!!

...And for now, we are just a couple with no children and don't know if/when that will change.

For now, after this small add on I think we have enough points to be happy with.

Well, at least until add-on-itis bites us again :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
I bought DVC when I was single. Bought 150 and thought I had enough. Addonitis hit when WLV was opened and I thought "what in the world am I going to do with 300 points!"
Fast forward 13 years, 1 DH, 2 kids and about 5 add ons later ... :laughing: ... Now we seem to always run out of points :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.