The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Favorite Moderate and why? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3098932)

JeannieKY 04-19-2013 10:57 PM

Favorite Moderate and why?

Thinking of upgrading to POR, CBR, or CSR with the Summer discount. (POFQ is out as we have stayed there and it doesn't seem to be included in the special offer.) Just myself and DD16. Which of those three mods do you prefer and why?

Sue M 04-19-2013 11:08 PM

POR! Love the mansions. Newly refurbed. The resort is beautiful, walking along the river, sitting on a bench and just taking it all in.
IMO it has more to offer with a boat to DTD, evening entertainment in the lounge, Bob Jackson puts on a fun show for the whole family. Great food court, horse & carriage rides, fishing hole. Even if you don't fish, it's a pretty spot to visit and watch wildlife. The CM there is very informative and fun to talk to.
Queen beds.

PrincessInOz 04-19-2013 11:15 PM

Of the 3, I've stayed at POR and CSR.

CSR is a convention hotel and it just lacked a little something for me. But it is a beautiful resort.

I personally prefer POR. It's lovely and green and just feels relaxed.

aVASTGrl 04-19-2013 11:16 PM

I was also disappointed to see POFQ was excluded in the summer offer. I would go for POR. FQ is a short, pretty walk away, so it's like having 2 resorts in one! Plus I love having the boat to DTD. CSR and CBR are too big and spread out for my taste.

Disneylover99 04-20-2013 06:19 AM

I would choose POR because of their excellent counter service restaurant and boat to DTD.

boscov 04-20-2013 06:22 AM

I've stayed at all of them except CSR (which i've visited) and by far my favorite is POR. I love their tranquil theming, excellent food court (which is the best in WDW IMO), boat to DTD, Yeeha Bob in the lounge at night, a good pool and while the resort is large, that's an advantage to me. The resort never feels full.

JeannieKY 04-20-2013 07:27 AM

Also, prices are lowest for CBR, then CSR, and highest is POR, but all less than $200 more total for the week than the value. Is it worth it? Has anyone stayed at CBR and not loved it? If so, what didn't you like?

magicbob 04-20-2013 07:33 AM

We like both CBR and POR Mansions. POR is very relaxing with lots of trees, etc. We enjoy vacationing in the Caribbean and staying at CBR gives us a little taste of that.

JeannieKY 04-20-2013 08:31 AM

I do worry about the distance to refill drink mugs from the rooms at the mods so any feedback on distance to standard rooms from food courts would be appreciated. I'm struggling between a preferred room at a value vs a standard room at a mod. Price difference is $140 for CBR, $165 CSR, and almost $200 for POR due to available room selection. We spend most of our time in the parks, but plan some pool time. Just the 2 of us and DD is 16. Is it a lot more walking to refill mugs at the mods?

Coconuts 04-20-2013 08:55 AM

I have stayed at all 3 resorts. CSR has always felt more geared towards adults to me. Overall my favorite is POR. It has the boat to DTD, the piano bar which is a hoot, and my favorite food court. All of the mods are pretty spread out but honestly only a 10 min walk usually.

aVASTGrl 04-20-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeannieKY (Post 48159594)
I do worry about the distance to refill drink mugs from the rooms at the mods so any feedback on distance to standard rooms from food courts would be appreciated. I'm struggling between a preferred room at a value vs a standard room at a mod. Price difference is $140 for CBR, $165 CSR, and almost $200 for POR due to available room selection. We spend most of our time in the parks, but plan some pool time. Just the 2 of us and DD is 16. Is it a lot more walking to refill mugs at the mods?

I would say for this concern, POR is going to be your best choice. If you're not paying for a Preferred room at CSR/CBR, you could potentially be all the way on the other side of the resorts from the Food courts, and that is a very long walk! It's just luck of the draw. With a standard room at POR, you could still be in the far corner of the resort, but at least your walk would be shorter.

JeannieKY 04-20-2013 09:24 AM

Thank-you for the feedback.

boscov 04-20-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeannieKY (Post 48159215)
Also, prices are lowest for CBR, then CSR, and highest is POR, but all less than $200 more total for the week than the value. Is it worth it? Has anyone stayed at CBR and not loved it? If so, what didn't you like?

Sorry for the late response, but CBR is the only resort I wouldn't go back to. I really disliked the layout of the resort. It's huge and awkward. Also, if I'm paying for double beds, I'd save the money and go with a value. I also didn't care for the food court at all. I think it's worth it for POR. But that's my opinion.

Stbissell 04-20-2013 02:55 PM

We really like CBR. It def has the best pool of the group. For us we like the theming the best out of the moderates. It just has a fun feel to it.

It is a large resort. If you don't like large resorts I wouldn't stay there. However, we stayed in Jamaica which is about a 5 minute walk to the pool and food court. We enjoyed the walk over the bridge and feel the walk was very manageable.

The only real con for me is that it doesn't have queen size beds. This shouldn't matter tho since there are only two of you.

POR is also very nice and has queen beds. It is my second favorite moderate. It also has good theming and has a laid back feel to it.

We have never stayed at CSR bc it's a convention hotel and the theming does nothing for us.

Good luck.

bluejasmine 04-20-2013 02:57 PM

I also disliked CBR it's huge you need to take an internal bus just to get to food court! I just felt that it really took away from the charm when you really cannot walk around the resort.

Hates the food court and the shop it was just the theming I didn't like..

I'm not a fan of anything "country" but so far my fave mod has been POR although that may change after our stay at POFQ (if I don't switch to POP) this coming Sept

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & POFQ Sept 8-15, 2013