The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sell me on a stay at Boardwalk Villas (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3098139)

cheesemouse 04-18-2013 10:15 AM

Sell me on a stay at Boardwalk Villas

Hi - We are a family of 5 (kids 8,5,2) and are planning our March 2014 trip. For the 1st time, I'm trying to rent DVC points for our stay. For some background, we have stayed at BLT, CR, and POP. I would love to stay in a 1BR at BLT but can't swing the spring break rack rates, so we are trying to rent points. I've checked several brokers and the room availability is there but they don't have any BLT people willing to rent points. It just now occurred to me that since our little guy will just have turned 2, we can actually stay in a resort that has a 4 person occupancy since the little guy doesn't count (and will be in a crib).

Soooo...I'm considering switching it over to a 1BR standard villa at Boardwalk. I've been to the resort once, VERY briefly. We've never stayed at any of the Epcot resorts, as we love the MK area with little kids. Here are my issues - maybe you can convince me that they aren't even issues.

1) Where to put the crib? We always just put the crib in a bathroom. Problem is Boardwalk only has one bathroom (although it is a split bathroom) but it apprears that there is NOT a door from the bedroom to the tub section. True? How strange. So then the crib would have to go in the shower section which is a pain because the bathroom becomes unusable and the little guy will have to wake up as soon as we want to get ready in the morning. Are there any other good "out of the way" places to put the crib there?

2) Transportation to DHS. We will not be going to Epcot on this trip so the closeness to that resorts is a unused benefit. And it seems that the only transportation to DHS is walk or boat. Is the walk miserable with a double stroller??? We always walk from BLT/CR to the MK but take the monorail home when we're tired.

3) What's the boat route order? How long of a trip is it on the boat to/from DHS?

4) Transportation time to MK. We will be doing 1.5 days at MK this trip. How is the bus transportation to MK? What resorts does is share with and where is BW in that route?

Thanks!

Dopey420 04-18-2013 11:48 AM

1) Where to put the crib? I don't know the answer to this one.
2) Transportation to DHS. Is the walk miserable with a double stroller??? No the walk is nice. About 15 minutes to DHS. Pretty much takes the same amount of time as taking the boat because
3) the boat route order? How long of a trip is it on the boat to/from DHS?
4) Transportation time to MK. It takes 25 minutes on the bus. Depending on what season you are going, the bus could be Boardwalk only, or you could share it with Swan, Dolphin, and Beach Club.

We like BWV because it is the smallest Disney resort, and seems a little nicer than the other deluxes. We enjoy the quiet pools. We like the room with the bar and games and breakfast items in the morning (name escapes me right now). Of course, not having to ride as many buses since we can walk into 2 parks is the best benefit.

Things we don't like: there used to not be a refillable mug station but there will be in the Boardwalk Bakery now. Limited counter service food. You can't just run to the counter service and get a burger, for example.

JJSWDW 04-18-2013 12:22 PM

The crib should fit between the master bed and the window. The one bedroom is about the same size and layout as VWL and we were able to use a full size crib that we rented from abbf.com. This will move him farther away from the bathroom. It is great being able to walk to two parks, especially when there are lines at the buses. If the bus route hits the swan first and the boardwalk last, then get off at the swan and take the path along the canal over to the boardwalk. Its similar with the boats just don't feel you can only get off at your hotel. The bathroom area that is open is just the tub and an extra sink. If I remember right there's another sink along with the toilet and shower in the bathroom section with two doors.

Enjoy

cheesemouse 04-18-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopey420 (Post 48141627)
Things we don't like: there used to not be a refillable mug station but there will be in the Boardwalk Bakery now. Limited counter service food. You can't just run to the counter service and get a burger, for example.

Oh, I forgot about this part too. I was trying to figure out of there was a counter service or food court and I came to the conclusion that there wasn't. That could be a deal breaker. With 3 little kids, just standing around or walking while eating doesn't work for us, which is what I saw a lot of when we visited Boardwalk.

Thanks for the replies. I WANT to think this will work for us but I'm not so sure.

DizDaD7 04-18-2013 12:45 PM

The real benefit to staying here is mainly Epcot. Definitely people like just going over there for dinner or some night scene. Its a beautiful resort but honestly, if your not going to reap one of the biggest benefits from it, I'd have to think long n hard about booking here.

The boat picks up here then BC then swan n Dolph then HS. Maybe 20 minutes total. The walk for us was around 11 minutes based on where our room was. Not bad at all. The. Bus ride was horrendous. Stop there first to pick up in the .morning then goes to swan then dolphin then to yacht club then to beach club then finally to MK. Coming back from the parks it was the opposite . We were last to get dropped off....Total bummer... Pool area is great but geared towards older kids. Maybe your 8 yr old would be good but not as much the younger ones. My choices for u would be AOA possibly. Probably around the same price ...actually would be. Cheaper HtH.

ThumpersWorld 04-18-2013 01:10 PM

Have you tried to find an owner that has BLT points rather than going through a broker? From what I have seen, BLT owners (us included) rent points directly and do not use a broker.

Wood Nymph 04-18-2013 01:45 PM

If you don't plan to go to Epcot, then you lose the benefit of staying in that area. I would look at other options for that kind of money. :)

DebbieB 04-18-2013 03:22 PM

The walkin closet in the 1 bedroom is huge, you might be able to put the crib in there. Most DVC's do not have a door between the bedroom and the tub section of the bathroom. There is a door into the toilet/shower section.

Boardwalk Bakery is expanding, it should be open soon. There is supposed to be more food options and space.

Missyrose 04-18-2013 03:58 PM

I would also budget for a preferred view 1-bedroom villa. I don't know when your trip is in March 2014, but if the 11-month window has already opened, then there's the chance all the standard-view villas have been booked. They typically are the first to book up (though you're helped by needing a 1-bedroom, the studios and 2-bedrooms are much more popular). Budget for the more-expensive view and let it be a happy surprise if you're able to book standard view.

mlk1979 04-18-2013 04:08 PM

We stayed at the BW with a 9 Month old and a 3 yr old. We had a great experience, but the lack of a food court was tough. We do love this resort.

spiceycat 04-18-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThumpersWorld (Post 48142651)
Have you tried to find an owner that has BLT points rather than going through a broker? From what I have seen, BLT owners (us included) rent points directly and do not use a broker.

that is because we can get $14 to $16 per point - vs the $11 or $10 per point the brokers pay.

have you tried VWL - it is a beautiful place and you can take a boat or bus to the MK. one good thing about VWL is it closer to the buses than the Lodge part.
(further from the boat)

It is also further from the counter service. but it does have a counter service thru WL. Really think with kids your age it might be better to stay closer to the MK.

now it has been a few years since stayed at VWL - but it had excellent bus service.

cheesemouse 04-18-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I think we'll pass on Boardwalk this time. If we were going to Epcot and if we had park hoppers then I think it would make sense. But we aren't and we don't so the negatives just seem to outweigh the positives in this case.

Art of Animation is definitely high on my list too. We are doing a split stay with a cruise in the middle so the thought of having in room laundry was a huge draw for me, but totally not necessary.

I am definitely watching the DVC rent board. It's hard to find BLT owners renting points. :( Most are OKW and SSR, obviously as they are bigger resorts. Basically, in talking with the brokers it sounds like they are extremely hard up for people wanting to sell points. I asked which resorts they had points available for the 11 month mark and was told NONE. So, I'm not getting my hopes up on a DVC place. We may end up with AoA or just a regular room at AKL, or CR or Poly. It's going to be 2 shorter stays instead of our usual 1 long stay so all of us being in 1 room wouldn't be the end of the world, just not ideal.

Thanks again for the help - I love the DIS!

kpm76 04-18-2013 08:12 PM

We own at the BWV and have two young kids, 5 and 2 and we love it! But, Epcot is our favorite park so being able to walk is a huge benefit. Lack of food court is actually appealing to us....I hate them..haha! I know they are convenient but they are always loud and I feel so rushed etc etc etc. The BW Bakery has always been fine for us for a quick breakfast or sandwich and it's going to be even better with the expansion. If we want something else, we just walk to Epcot.

amym2 04-18-2013 08:27 PM

When I read your post I thought right away, "Why not VWL?" If you can't get BLT, I'd try for VWL. We haven't stayed in the villas section, but the lodge is wonderful, and we thought Roaring Forks CS was pretty good.

We stayed at OKW last year and loved it. We didn't use the buses much since we had a car, but I've read good things about them. There's only a walk-up CS (only seating is picnic tables), but if you are looking to save money, the 1 bdr is HUGE.

gojoe 04-18-2013 08:33 PM

Dinner at Flying Fish

Several years back my wife and I had a wonderful dinner at Flying Fish. My wife had just had a lumpectomy. We had an evening we would never forget. Diner was wonderful. We spent the rest of the night strolling the Boardwalk, watching street performer, shopping, watch Illuminations from the bridge and people watching. We forgot all our cares and enjoyed life.

I spent the next six months talking my wife into buying into DVC at Boardwalk. We never seen a unit or talked to sales person. Boardwalk is our happy place for us and our girls. They love after a full day of commando style parks they could come back to the Boardwalk and chill out watching performers or play games of chance then head to our room for a well deserved night's sleep to do it again tomorrow.

We never had any issue with busses, we were always the first pick up so we alway had seats then Swan & Dolphin. We sometimes get off at the first stop (Swan or Dolphin) and walk back to Boardwalk.