The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RCI Just Announced Virtual Balconies (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3097067)

giljr 04-16-2013 09:43 AM

RCI Just Announced Virtual Balconies

Interior staterooms on the new Quantum of the Seas will have 80" projection LED "Virtual Balconies." It will be interesting to see how these compare to virtual portholes.

Lisa Lisa 04-16-2013 09:52 AM

Holy cow -- 80" is big! I have to admit that I'm really excited about the Quantum of the Seas and her sister ship. The Oasis and Allure just don't appeal to me because of their size.

iloverags2 04-16-2013 10:20 AM

I was just coming over to post about this, and how RCI just one-upped DCL with the virtual "whatevers" for the inside staterooms. It will be interesting to see what DCL does next!

Silverfox97 04-16-2013 10:22 AM

And bumper cars and skydiving as well!!! That North Star viewing thing is going to be closed frequently due to high winds I'm sure LOL

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

iloverags2 04-16-2013 10:33 AM

I will be honest...all that is a little much for me. It took me a long time to warm up to the AquaDuck...I'm more of a quiet, relaxed, classic cruise environment type of girl.

It certainly could be a game-changer though...wonder what the rates will be?

livingis2me 04-16-2013 10:36 AM

Quantum Of The Seas

So... Anyone else watching RCL's webcast? Amazing!!!!!:cool1:

Sorry Disney...:sad2:

Ron

livingis2me 04-16-2013 10:38 AM

Wow!!!!

Is all I can say! :cool1:

Ron

livingis2me 04-16-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by livingis2me (Post 48120169)
So... Anyone else watching RCL's webcast? Amazing!!!!!:cool1:

Sorry Disney...:sad2:

Ron

Opps... didn't realize a thread had already started.

peachygreen 04-16-2013 10:44 AM

Unless they can pump in the wind smell of sea air and the sounds of the ocean, I don't get the appeal of a virtual balcony. There is much more to a balcony than the view

livingis2me 04-16-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peachygreen (Post 48120255)
Unless they can pump in the wind smell of sea air and the sounds of the ocean, I don't get the appeal of a virtual balcony. There is much more to a balcony than the view

At least no one would have to worry about smoking neighbors...;)

It'll be fun to book my kids in one so that I can check it out. But no, It wouldn't be a real replacement for a balcony. I've become a balcony snob over the years.

Ron

jlwhitney 04-16-2013 10:56 AM

I would have to agree. The virtual portholes on Disney already give the feel of seeing out with an inside room. Making it bigger really isnt going to add much.

It may be seen as one upping, but in all reality when DCL came on the scene they were a game changer and many are just trying to catch up and become more family friendly and try to lose the party atmosphere image.

OrangeCountyCommuter 04-16-2013 11:03 AM

I think it sounds great. But I knew that what was going to be posted on here was "well Disney's is just as good or better" LOL!

That ship sounds fun and honestly I think RCCL does "megaship" a HECK of a lot better the Disney.

maria-fan-22 04-16-2013 11:10 AM

Just saw the designs for the ship... The Virtual Balconies I dont understand as the point of a balconies is to be outside. But we shall see...

The ball thing ruins the lines of the ship, IMHO. And the whole ship looks kind of boxy anyway...

I will wait to pass final judgement until she is built, but I'm not liking the renderings.

RweTHEREyet 04-16-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 48120446)
I think it sounds great. But I knew that what was going to be posted on here was "well Disney's is just as good or better" LOL!

That ship sounds fun and honestly I think RCCL does "megaship" a HECK of a lot better the Disney.

That's fine and dandy if the "megaship" experience is what you are after. The Disney experience is what I personally prefer. Not saying that Disney is just as good or better, it is just what I prefer.

havaneselover 04-16-2013 11:20 AM

Bumper cars sounds like a waste of space to me. And I really would not be interested in cruising out of NJ at least six months a year. Ymmv.