The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Booking early for ADR's vs. Waiting for Discounts (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3096511)

Eric in TX 04-15-2013 10:31 AM

Booking early for ADR's vs. Waiting for Discounts
 
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip the first week of November that will have six family members spread over two rooms. If there is a discount, we'd like to stay at WL. If there ends up being no discount, we'll bump down to POR.

So here is my quandry: We'd like to get a few of the tougher ADR's, and our 180 day window is approaching in a few weeks. Obviously we'd like to have a reservation by that point. But we know that any discounts for that timeframe most likely won't be announced until at least July - if not August.

I think we're leaning towards making a non-discounted reservation within the next few weeks so we can get some ADR's going. Should we book at WL and then if there are no discounts by mid-September (45 day cancellation for packages) cancel the WL reservation and rebook at POR? Or should we book at POR, and then if a discount is released in Aug try to rebook for WL?

I've talked myself around in circles and have decided on one plan only to convince myself that I should do the opposite at least 3 - 4 times already. :badpc:

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

kellyjeanie 04-15-2013 10:35 AM

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in but if I'm understanding you correctly I'm in the same boat, and I've been told that you can book ADRs without having a room reservation, you just don't get the 180+10 benefit. So you have to get up and book each ADR on the proper day vs. doing it all at once.

Meggysmum 04-15-2013 10:35 AM

I think I may be missing the point but surely you can make your reservations at 180 days without an accomodation reservation? I couldn't get my 180+10 to work online and I didn't feel like calling so I just went online as the ADRs opened each day and grabbed what I wanted.

I wasn't after the princess breakfast but got everything else I wanted on the 180 day mark.

Wood Nymph 04-15-2013 10:38 AM

I would look at the historic discounts to see how likely it is that a discount might be released for your time frame. If discounts have usually been issued in the past, then it is a possibility that discounts might be issued this time. If a discount has never been issued for that time period in the past, then I would book the resort that I could afford.

Here is the Mousesavers website listing the historic discounts. Keep in mind that not all blackout dates are included within a discount period. And sometimes they make a mistake. :)

http://www.mousesavers.com/historica...ort-discounts/

:)

Shaden 04-15-2013 10:41 AM

You can very much book your ADRs WITHOUT a room/resort reservation. Go ahead and book your ADRs and then continue to wait for your discount, thats what we did for our upcoming trip in may.

Sue M 04-15-2013 10:49 AM

You can do it either way, if you don't have a res, you'll just have to book your ADRs daily.
If you choose to book a resort res, I'd book what you can afford now, Por, then if a good discount comes out, switch to WL.
If you do book now, book what type of res you will plan on having for your trip. Room only or package. Reason being if you book room only now, then switch to a package if discounts come out, you'll have the hassle of cancelling, having to get refund, and rebooking a package. For some reason Disney books Room Only & Packages with 2 different Disney branches.

Eric in TX 04-15-2013 03:22 PM

Thanks all.

It never even occurred to me to just book the ADR's day-by-day as each one hits 180 days. Talk about missing the forest for the trees.....

Historical discounts over the past few years do show fairly consistent discounts for Oct-Nov-Dec being released around the end of summer. I'm hoping that this year they do the same 20% off WL or FD. We'll see.

Part of me feels like booking the POR is conceding defeat and accepting that no discounts will be offered. But the planner in me is already unhappy that we're approaching 6 months out and don't have rooms reserved! Sometimes it's stressful being the designated Disney planner in the family! :crazy2:

ilovemk76 04-15-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric in TX (Post 48109303)
Hi All,

I'm planning a trip the first week of November that will have six family members spread over two rooms. If there is a discount, we'd like to stay at WL. If there ends up being no discount, we'll bump down to POR.

So here is my quandry: We'd like to get a few of the tougher ADR's, and our 180 day window is approaching in a few weeks. Obviously we'd like to have a reservation by that point. But we know that any discounts for that timeframe most likely won't be announced until at least July - if not August.

I think we're leaning towards making a non-discounted reservation within the next few weeks so we can get some ADR's going. Should we book at WL and then if there are no discounts by mid-September (45 day cancellation for packages) cancel the WL reservation and rebook at POR? Or should we book at POR, and then if a discount is released in Aug try to rebook for WL?

I've talked myself around in circles and have decided on one plan only to convince myself that I should do the opposite at least 3 - 4 times already. :badpc:

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

I would book your fallback resort and make your 180+10 ADRs and if a WL discont comes out then upgrade.

mickeynut1 04-15-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovemk76 (Post 48112713)
I would book your fallback resort and make your 180+10 ADRs and if a WL discont comes out then upgrade.

This is what I would do. If you will definitely go and stay at POR without a discount, I'd book POR to make sure you get the room type you want. Then, if a discount comes out and the WL is available, I'd call and switch over to WL with the discount.

tinkerbella16 04-15-2013 05:36 PM

I am also going to be there the same week, staying at POR. I make my ADR's on May 10th!!! You can make ressies even if you don't have a room booked.

Eric in TX 04-16-2013 10:18 AM

Yes, I think that's what we're going to do. Get POR booked and ADR's made, and then upgrade to WL if the predicted discounts come out.

Thanks everyone for the input!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.