The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   CR MK view v. Poly GV CL (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3095780)

chasgoose 04-13-2013 06:10 PM

CR MK view v. Poly GV CL
 
For my graduation from law school, my parents are letting my sister and I (both mid-20's) go to WDW. It's been 12 years since the last time we went (parents aren't huge Disney fans + lived on West Coast) and probably the last time each of us will go until we are married and have kids (should that blessed day ever come lol) so we want to make it special. The two previous times we went to WDW we stayed at YC CL, despite this, my sister and I have always been big monorail fans (demanding we ride it even though it served no functional purpose) so we narrowed it down to the Poly or the CR (GF was our least favorite looking of the three), specifically GV CL at the Poly or a regular MK view room at the CR. CR is slightly cheaper by about $400 total. Right now we are kind of leaning towards the CR, but its kind of up in the air. Below is our pro-con list.

CR MK View
Pros:
1. We like the looks of the room better
2. We are going in summer so the fact that everything is in one building and we don't have to trudge through whatever nasty weather may occur to get back to our room is a plus. Plus the monorail goes right through the building
3. The view is great (the parking lot doesn't bother us)
4. We both like the whole FUTURE IS NOW! theme
5. In general, food at resort is better or more our taste.

Cons:
1. No CL, trying to decide if we need that. We did it before, and usually don't eat much more than a continental breakfast, but we probably wouldn't use much of the CL services beyond the food and drink, which probably isn't worth the cost for us.
2. We risk getting a lower floor room and being barraged with noise from Chef Mickeys.
3. Pool seems less fun (although we aren't huge pool people when at WDW)
4. More difficult access to EPCOT, although how hard is that transfer to make?

Poly GV CL
Pros:
1. CL perks (although see above, would probably mostly be used for food and drink). But CL is also nostalgic since we have good memories of prepping for the day or recapping our adventures in the lounge as a family.
2. Easier access to EPCOT
3. The theme seems a little bit more fun than CR (although I fear it becoming oppressive).
4. Recently rehabbed rooms

Cons:
1. View less exciting, although we figure we can go look at stuff in the lounge when we need to.
2. Not a huge fan of the separate longhouses, esp. in the unpredictable but always hot and muggy FL summer weather.
3. Like room slightly less than CR (even the rehabbed ones).
4. No ability to walk to the MK if we want to.
5. Slightly more expensive. Although, the food in the CL will bridge the gap a little.

I know this question has been asked many times on here, but I figured I'd do it again and see what people think given our personal preferences.

graceesmom 04-13-2013 08:29 PM

This is a tough decision. You have nailed all the right considerations. It really comes down to whether you prefer a view or CL.

I REALLY enjoy the convenience of being able to walk back and forth from the Contemporary to Magic Kingdom from the CR.

If you go with CR, ask for an odd numbered room. The odd numbered rooms have the beds facing so that when you lay down you are facing the castle. That way you can lay in bed and watch fireworks or wake up to a view of the castle.

But there is something about the feel of the Polynesian as well and CL level at the Poly is supposed to be one of if not the best CL around.

I know you guys will have a blast with either choice.

Congratulations on graduating from law school! Enjoy the break before you begin studying for the bar. That was the most stressful summer of my life, but worth all the hard work.

Missyrose 04-14-2013 12:41 AM

What about lake view CL at CR. that should be the best of both worlds since the CL lounge has an awesome MK view.

Sue M 04-14-2013 01:40 AM

For me, it would be Poly CL :goodvibes it's a matter of personal taste partially. We loved our stay at Poly, watching Wishes on the beach, the beautiful landscaping, 2 of our fav restaurants are at Poly.

Theming or lack of at CR just doesn't do it for me, and the pool is just a pool, could be anywhere. As I said, that's me.

I also feel CL does save some money, no need for dining plan. We eat breakfast in the lounge, have a late TS lunch somewhere, then for dinner back to the lounge. We thought we could go supplement at the resort CS for dinner, but found with a TS lunch, the evening CL offerings were sufficient. Especially in the hit weather.
We haven't tried CL at Poly, but have at AKL & BC. Sitting in the Poly lounge watching Wishes while enjoying a dessert or liquor sounds pretty nice :)

Congrats on your grad :thumbsup2

Wendy5055 04-14-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasgoose (Post 48096262)
For my graduation from law school, my parents are letting my sister and I (both mid-20's) go to WDW. It's been 12 years since the last time we went (parents aren't huge Disney fans + lived on West Coast) and probably the last time each of us will go until we are married and have kids (should that blessed day ever come lol) so we want to make it special. The two previous times we went to WDW we stayed at YC CL, despite this, my sister and I have always been big monorail fans (demanding we ride it even though it served no functional purpose) so we narrowed it down to the Poly or the CR (GF was our least favorite looking of the three), specifically GV CL at the Poly or a regular MK view room at the CR. CR is slightly cheaper by about $400 total. Right now we are kind of leaning towards the CR, but its kind of up in the air. Below is our pro-con list.

CR MK View
Pros:
1. We like the looks of the room better
2. We are going in summer so the fact that everything is in one building and we don't have to trudge through whatever nasty weather may occur to get back to our room is a plus. Plus the monorail goes right through the building
3. The view is great (the parking lot doesn't bother us)
4. We both like the whole FUTURE IS NOW! theme
5. In general, food at resort is better or more our taste.

Cons:
1. No CL, trying to decide if we need that. We did it before, and usually don't eat much more than a continental breakfast, but we probably wouldn't use much of the CL services beyond the food and drink, which probably isn't worth the cost for us.
2. We risk getting a lower floor room and being barraged with noise from Chef Mickeys.
3. Pool seems less fun (although we aren't huge pool people when at WDW)
4. More difficult access to EPCOT, although how hard is that transfer to make?

Poly GV CL
Pros:
1. CL perks (although see above, would probably mostly be used for food and drink). But CL is also nostalgic since we have good memories of prepping for the day or recapping our adventures in the lounge as a family.
2. Easier access to EPCOT
3. The theme seems a little bit more fun than CR (although I fear it becoming oppressive).
4. Recently rehabbed rooms

Cons:
1. View less exciting, although we figure we can go look at stuff in the lounge when we need to.
2. Not a huge fan of the separate longhouses, esp. in the unpredictable but always hot and muggy FL summer weather.
3. Like room slightly less than CR (even the rehabbed ones).
4. No ability to walk to the MK if we want to.
5. Slightly more expensive. Although, the food in the CL will bridge the gap a little.

I know this question has been asked many times on here, but I figured I'd do it again and see what people think given our personal preferences.

Honestly, CL or not the Poly rooms were too dark for my preference (but that is me). I have stayed at the GF which was beautiful. We are now staying at CR TPV and am happy with the choice even though a Poly standard view would have been less expensive. I had considered CL at CR but I usually get the DlxDP so CL is not necessary.

If CL is highly important go with the Poly. If you want the view and access to MK go with CR.

I'm absolutely certain you will enjoy no matter where you stay!!!

chasgoose 04-14-2013 12:13 PM

Thanks for the responses! Another question about CL. I can't remember what the food spreads and/or times were for a midday snack situation in the lounges. I hate eating in the parks and given that we are going to be there in the summer, I anticipate needing to take a break from the oppressive heat (we grew up in AZ, but we are both terrible at dealing with humidity). Neither of us are big lunch people anyways and so if we can power through the parks during the regular lunch hour and then retreat back to the resort for a snack and some AC time, that would make CL seem very appealing.

Sue M 04-14-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasgoose (Post 48101249)
Thanks for the responses! Another question about CL. I can't remember what the food spreads and/or times were for a midday snack situation in the lounges. I hate eating in the parks and given that we are going to be there in the summer, I anticipate needing to take a break from the oppressive heat (we grew up in AZ, but we are both terrible at dealing with humidity). Neither of us are big lunch people anyways and so if we can power through the parks during the regular lunch hour and then retreat back to the resort for a snack and some AC time, that would make CL seem very appealing.

Perhaps the Poly Thread would have this info? Different resorts have different offerings. At akl they had afternoon tea with scones that was very nice. But BC didn't have anything mid afternoon except chips, pretzels or candy in addition to the drink offerings. The home made potato chips were addicting though, lol!

Kimi313 04-14-2013 12:33 PM

My vote is for CR with a MK view. Our DD is graduating from college in May and will be attending grad school in the fall for Accounting and we too are taking her and her boyfriend for a trip and she picked CR MKV. I think she picked it for the more hustle bustle feel. Loves Chef Mickey but also Wave, watching fireworks from balcony, and being close enough to MK to walk over whenever they want. We will also be popping over to the Poly to enjoy the lounge and also will be going to the Luau one night. Either place I think you will have a great time! Also congratulations on your achievement!!party:

ZZUB 04-14-2013 07:02 PM

Before you get too far down the road with your trip planning, you might want to check with whatever bar review course you're doing to find out when it begins. It's been 14 summers since I studied for the bar, but it occurs to me that there wasn't as much time between graduation and Barbri's first class as I thought there would be. We ended up saving our Disney trip for after I sat for the bar.

As for CR v. Polynesian CL, I don't think you can go wrong with those choices. They're both good (it would be like choosing between Alabama's 2012 National Championship and its 2011 one. Or it's 2009 one for that matter). I'm writing to address your concern about noise at the CR if you're too close to Chef Mickey's. We've stayed there 2 times and never once heard anything from there. The second time we were on the 6th floor directly in the middle of the tower. I know others have complained that it was rather noisy in their rooms, but it seems to me, those complaints almost always come from people staying in rooms higher up. I'm not a sound engineer and can barely spell acoustics, let alone explain it, but I think it's possible that the noise might be worse on the higher floors than the lower ones. Something with the architecture of the Grand Canyon Concourse maybe. Either way, I'll take celebration noise from Chef Mickey's over screaming kid or amorous couple ANY DAY.

Congratulations on finishing law school!

Cotillard 04-15-2013 08:47 AM

CR MK view is stunning. I'd do that. The views will make it extra special.

TigrLvsPooh 04-15-2013 08:58 AM

I've stayed in both of those rooms and I would pick the Poly hands down every time. The only thing you really give up is the MK view from your room (are you really going to spend a ton of time in your room??) and the walk to MK. But we find the boat from the Poly to MK to be easy, fast, and enjoyable. Of course we live in the middle of farm land so being on a boat of any type is exciting for us. :lmao: Personally I didn't care for the rooms at the CR. The bathrooms have no counters for makeup and toiletries. It was impossible to get ready in there in the mornings. I was putting my makeup bag in the sink. :worried: I also don't like the lobby of the CR. To me it is noisy and smelly. I love the lush tropical flowers and walkways of the Poly so much!! :lovestruc I love the theme, I love feeling like I'm somewhere else, I love the torches, and the music, I love the Tambu lounge and Ohana. I love Captain Cooks, I love the Dole Whip! Oh my gosh I'm getting excited just thinking about the Poly!!!!! :banana: I so wish we could afford to stay there again. The AP discounts are so crappy there I don't know when we'll ever be able to go again. :(

chasgoose 04-16-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZUB (Post 48104904)
Before you get too far down the road with your trip planning, you might want to check with whatever bar review course you're doing to find out when it begins. It's been 14 summers since I studied for the bar, but it occurs to me that there wasn't as much time between graduation and Barbri's first class as I thought there would be. We ended up saving our Disney trip for after I sat for the bar.

As for CR v. Polynesian CL, I don't think you can go wrong with those choices. They're both good (it would be like choosing between Alabama's 2012 National Championship and its 2011 one. Or it's 2009 one for that matter). I'm writing to address your concern about noise at the CR if you're too close to Chef Mickey's. We've stayed there 2 times and never once heard anything from there. The second time we were on the 6th floor directly in the middle of the tower. I know others have complained that it was rather noisy in their rooms, but it seems to me, those complaints almost always come from people staying in rooms higher up. I'm not a sound engineer and can barely spell acoustics, let alone explain it, but I think it's possible that the noise might be worse on the higher floors than the lower ones. Something with the architecture of the Grand Canyon Concourse maybe. Either way, I'll take celebration noise from Chef Mickey's over screaming kid or amorous couple ANY DAY.

Congratulations on finishing law school!

Yeah don't worry about the bar, we are planning our trip for after its over. My start date at my firm isn't until October so I have some time.

chasgoose 04-17-2013 10:12 AM

Thanks for your help guys, we decided on the CR. Found a great discount so we can do CL there too!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.