The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Dining plan question (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3095690)

Ahenderson070911 04-13-2013 01:59 PM

Dining plan question

We are a family of 6 me, my husband, and four kids (ages 6, 4, 2 and 2) we currently just have the Disney dining plan (1 ts, 1 cs and 1 snack) I have been thinking about upgrading it to the deluxe dining plan but wondering if it is worth the extra $800 for the 9 days we will be there. My kids can eat so I know it won't be to much food. How exactly do the deluxe plan work?

juliebug1997 04-13-2013 02:05 PM

The deluxe gives you three table service meals a day and two snacks. We love it! We are just two adults and we like to have the sit down lunch in the a/c since we go in the summer. We love breakfast and characters too, so we usually hit most of the character breakfasts.

There are many who think that it's too much food, but if it really only goes up $800 for the time of your trip for a family of six, well, that sounds like a bargain to me.

gilby 04-13-2013 02:12 PM

We have always done the 1 qs, snack and one table service and it is actually too much food. We usually have quite a few snacks left at the end of our stay.

jmcghee2024 04-13-2013 02:24 PM

It really depends on what kind of restaurants you are going to eat at. If you are doing a lot of signatures then it's worth it. But if you are planning on doing 3 one credits a day, then it really is too much food.

Ahenderson070911 04-13-2013 02:33 PM

Can you not use the credits at the counter service meals too? I thought you could mix the credits up? Or did I read it wrong.

mickeynut1 04-13-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahenderson070911 (Post 48094676)
We are a family of 6 me, my husband, and four kids (ages 6, 4, 2 and 2) we currently just have the Disney dining plan (1 ts, 1 cs and 1 snack) I have been thinking about upgrading it to the deluxe dining plan but wondering if it is worth the extra $800 for the 9 days we will be there. My kids can eat so I know it won't be to much food. How exactly do the deluxe plan work?

You will get varying opinions on this, but we love the DlxDDP. We've had both the regular DDP (1 TS, 1 CS, 1 snack) as well as the deluxe plan and we like them both. On the deluxe plan, however, we tend to do more signature restaurants, while sticking with the 1 TS restaurants when on the regular DDP. As the pp mentioned, some people think the deluxe plan is too much food, but we thought it was great for our family of 4 with 2 older teen boys.

scdak 04-13-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahenderson070911 (Post 48094884)
Can you not use the credits at the counter service meals too? I thought you could mix the credits up? Or did I read it wrong.

You did not read it wrong, its 3 meal credits per person per day, how you choose to use them is up to you. I have read on the Dis that deluxe is a value only if 2/3 of your meals are table service credits.

It is a lot of food, it is a lot of table service meals if your goal is to maximize the benefits of the deluxe plan which equates into a lot of travel time to the meals and the actual time for meals (think 1 hour min for buffets, 1 1/2 hours min for other table service meals) but that could be fine with you, esp if it allows your kids to rest a little/recharge etc but if they don't do well at long meals now, or all they care about is time in the parks, they might not be happy with so many TS meals.

I did the deluxe plan last fall (2 pooh sized folks) because I was able to have free dining, so upgrading to Deluxe for 10 days for around $600 was a no brainer for me. We were able to enjoy alot of TS locations that we have never been to esp many of the resort locations, but I will say that we were overwhelmed with too much food, and had a huge number of snack credits left at the end, and so many snacks we wanted to try but when we thought about putting another morsel of food in our mouths we literally felt sick! We planned meals to have time between meals (7-7:30 am breakfast, 1-2pm lunches, 7-8pm dinners) so we could think about snacks but there was simply no way we could eat any more than we did.

So after we evaluated our eating habits for the trip, we came to the conclusion that the regular plan and/or paying OOP would work better for us next time so we can enjoy all the great snacks that Dis'ers rave about here.

Keep in mind that the deluxe plan includes appetizers with every meal plus entree and dessert, things I would consider in your case is do you eat that way at home? Will you be upset if you choose not to get an app or dessert with every meal thinking you are "wasting your money spent". Now that being said, the kids apps and desserts seem to be very basic and small portions (yes, I resort to some kid apps at times if there isnt something I like but don't want to sit there not eating when my friend is enjoying her adult appetizer).

Are you planning on many character meals? That is not a great value as far as the dining plan based on posts I have read but for me they were great fun and we did many of them on our trip!

I am sure you will be given answers to your question referring you to read the menus on Allears.net and add up the costs to see if your dining plans will be better suited to the deluxe vs regular dining plan, and I will say that was a huge help to me, plus it made me excited to see what I would want to eat at a meal 6 months away, and I rarely changed my mind :cool1:

Jonathan Swift 04-13-2013 03:42 PM

I've got better advice. Don't get ANY dining plan. You're probably going to spend more, especially with the deluxe one.

Don't take my word for it. Just download the dining plan calculator. Plug in where you're planning to eat and it will calculate everything for you. You can compare the (lack of) savings in each plan.

jpessa 04-13-2013 04:26 PM

Don't forget that neither of your 2 year olds qualify for the dining plan. Therefore having too much food might be good for you so they can eat for free. (when I went with my 2 year old in November we were on the dining plan and had to buy her most of her food separately except for buffets)The dining plan calculator the PP posted will tell you exactly what is the best value for your family.

lovedworld 04-13-2013 05:10 PM

I don't think paying for the dining plan is worth it. It you were getting it free that would be a different story, but paying for it out right just doesn't make sense to me. I have never had the deluxe plan, but think it would be way to much food and way to much time eating, especially with small children. You have to calculate it out and decide if it is right for you.

Peachkins 04-13-2013 06:33 PM

You can use the three meal credits for TS or CS, but you're really not going to get your money's worth if you don't use it for TS most of the time. My husband and I are planning on using the deluxe plan. I actually did use a dining calculator, and found that with the places we were planning to eat at, we would save money using the plan. About half of the ADRs we are planning on will be at Signatures, and we're probably going to be doing two TS meals a day as opposed to 3 on most days. Neither of us are big on breakfast, and we'll probably just use snack credits or pay OOP for that at the resort before we go to the parks.

MinnieLovesMickey12 04-13-2013 07:20 PM

I think in your case the Deluxe dining plan might work better for your family because everybody gets an app, entree and dessert. SO with all that added food you will have plenty to share with your 2 toddlers.

disney-akj 04-13-2013 08:04 PM

With the ages of your kiddos, I would not do the deluxe plan. That is a lot of time in restaurants with small children. I know mine at that age were anxious to be back in the parks. I think the regular plan would be fine. You can always pay OOP cheaper for a kids meal here or there if you feel your two years need more food? That would be cheaper still than upgrading.

ReneeA 04-13-2013 08:07 PM

Have you taken your kids to WDW before? It doesn't make sense to pay for the deluxe plan and then eat at the counter service restaurants... you won't even come close to the cost of the plan based on what items cost at the CS. Now, my kids have been to Disney almost every year since 2005 and would revolt if I had more than one sit down meal a day. You have to consider travel time to these restaurants, waiting to be seated, taking orders, sitting through 3 courses, waiting for the bill, paying the tip (on our last trip, we averaged a $25-30 tip at each sit down meal), then travel time back to your park. With 2 year olds in your party, you have to consider whether they will sit through that many meals, will they need naps? When will you ever see the parks?

rainynight 04-13-2013 09:55 PM

I would do some math on that. I figured up the price for a 6 and a half of the meals we want to do and for 10 sit down meals (all family style or buffets, mostly dinnets) and 3 counter service and its only slightly over $150 more than the regular dining plan and we get more sit down meals and its figuring in snacks, tax, and tips. I don't see how anyone can save money on the dining plan. I would pay oop instead of chancing a ton of uneaten food. We got the free dining plan last year and had unused credits. I can't imagine deluxe.