The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   ASMusic vs AoA family suites (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3095236)

dr&momto2boys 04-12-2013 02:49 PM

ASMusic vs AoA family suites

We already have a trip planned in September using our DVC points at Bay Lake Tower, BUT in pricing airline tickets it would be $300 cheaper total for us to fly to Orlando 3 days earlier (not any cheaper to fly 1 or 2 nights earlier.) We have APs so no additional ticket cost and a more relaxing vacation if we do this (add 3 nights to our trip.)
I priced the family suites at ASMusic and AoA resorts. It's about $250 per night at ASMusic or $300 per night at AoA.
So basically we'll spend an extra $450 or $600 to add 3 nights (plus food cost.) Our kids are 8 and under. The AoA resort appeals to me because it's newer, the suites look bigger and the theming looks fun, and they have their own buses versus sharing at the All Stars.
I've never been to either resort. (We stayed at ASMovies 8 years ago.)
Does anyone advocate staying at ASMusic versus AoA?
I'd like to hear which you would choose and why!

maxiesmom 04-12-2013 03:05 PM

I have stayed in an All Star Family suite. I won't stay at AoA because to me, they are designed for families with young kids. From the pictures they are very over the top, even for Disney.;)

For me, the room set up at AoA also has one flaw. The kitchenette area is in the same room with the fold out beds. As in right next to the fold out couch. So if you put the kids in the front room area, you can't get up in the morning and use the kitchenette without waking them up.

http://allears.net/acc/artanim/nemoroom4.jpg

A very bad set up, imho. And it would make it impossible for me to use the kitchen area with annoying some of my family members.
They would not appreciate me making coffee or nuking breakfast right next to their heads while they are trying to sleep. In the Family Suites at the All Star Music, the kitchenette is set off in an alcove, away from the fold outs. A much better set up.

Btw, I have stayed at the All Star Music multiple times, and have stayed at the Sports once. How often they share buses is GREATLY exaggerated. Greatly. Usually each resort has it's own bus. And to be honest when they do share it is not a big deal. The All Stars are all connected by their parking lots. It is not like the buses have to drive forever to go to another resort and pick up guests.

dr&momto2boys 04-12-2013 03:13 PM

Also, if we choose AoA (and the more I look at ASMu, the more I think we will choose AoA) do you have a recommendation for which section to choose?

The LK rooms look the nicest to me, but the Nemo section looks most convenient to the main pool.

Jazzerfan 04-12-2013 03:32 PM

ASMu - Family Suite

I've stayed in the ASMu Family Suite twice and just love it. I would request preferred room - Calypso Side. Very quiet! I, too, agree that AoA look a bit over-themed. Also ASMu tends to be the least crowded out of all Values so that's the way I'd go.

dr&momto2boys 04-12-2013 04:38 PM

Any preference for food court or swimming pools between the two?

Another option would be to get 2 rooms at one of the value resorts. Do any have rooms that connect?

Re: over theming... I think that would appeal to our kids.
And noise...we have 4 kids and a newborn. Our kids are well behaved, but I think we would still fit into the loud category since we so many and they have their momemnts.

maxiesmom 04-12-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys (Post 48087655)
Any preference for food court or swimming pools between the two?

Another option would be to get 2 rooms at one of the value resorts. Do any have rooms that connect?

Re: over theming... I think that would appeal to our kids.
And noise...we have 4 kids and a newborn. Our kids are well behaved, but I think we would still fit into the loud category since we so many and they have their momemnts.

All resorts do have connecting rooms. However they are not a bookable category. So while they will try to give them to you if you ask for them, you won't know for sure until you get to your rooms if you have them or not.

dr&momto2boys 04-12-2013 05:52 PM

Thanks everyone!

I think we've decided to book 2 rooms at AoA. It's cheaper and the sleeping arrangements will be more comfortable. We'll request connecting and know there is a chance we won't get it.

Still looking at which section to request. Pros and Cons?

I've been looknig at the massive AoA thread too, but it's a lot to wade through.

beth4 04-12-2013 05:54 PM

I have stayed at both ASMu family suites and AoA family suites and I would vote for AoA in a heartbeat! It beats out ASMu in my family's book. I love it b/c the theme is over the top! That to me is Disney! We loved the theming and thought it was great and much more "Disney" than a musical theme. The pools are better too. We stayed in Nemo and thought it was great. The kitchenette was not a problem for us b/c no one slept in. We left early and all got up at the same time. We used the kitchenette while running around getting ready, not while anyone was sleeping. I can see it being a problem if there were kids or adults trying to sleep there, but not a problem for us. The food court was scout the same as ASMu and when we stayed at ASMu we did not share buses so I can't speak to a busing issue.

AliceIn 04-12-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys (Post 48086778)
Also, if we choose AoA (and the more I look at ASMu, the more I think we will choose AoA) do you have a recommendation for which section to choose?

The LK rooms look the nicest to me, but the Nemo section looks most convenient to the main pool.

I liked the Cars section the best. The theming in that area is absolutely amazing. Cars building 3 is close to both the main pool and the Cozy Cone pool. All the suites buildings are pretty close to everything. Go with whatever theme you think you like best.

If you are looking for a quiet area, avoid rooms facing the main pool. Also, at night the resort plays movies every night in the LK area. If you think your kids will be sleeping by 10, these might not be the best choices. I picked Cars building 3, and asked for top floor facing the lake. It was very peaceful there.

AliceIn 04-12-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys (Post 48088197)
Thanks everyone!

I think we've decided to book 2 rooms at AoA. It's cheaper and the sleeping arrangements will be more comfortable. We'll request connecting and know there is a chance we won't get it.

Still looking at which section to request. Pros and Cons?

I've been looknig at the massive AoA thread too, but it's a lot to wade through.

If you book two regular rooms, your only choice is the Little Mermaid. The other sections have suites only.

dr&momto2boys 04-12-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AliceIn (Post 48088440)
If you book two regular rooms, your only choice is the Little Mermaid. The other sections have suites only.

Thanks! I finally figured that out and we've got it booked. Crossing my fingers that we get connecting rooms (but we can deal with it if we don't.) Two rooms works better for us since there are more regular beds. I like to keep my room neat and hate folding and unfolding beds.

I'm excited that we added 3 extra days to our vacation!

maxiesmom 04-12-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr&momto2boys (Post 48089310)
Thanks! I finally figured that out and we've got it booked. Crossing my fingers that we get connecting rooms (but we can deal with it if we don't.) Two rooms works better for us since there are more regular beds. I like to keep my room neat and hate folding and unfolding beds.

I'm excited that we added 3 extra days to our vacation!

Yay for extra days!!!:cool1: