The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   PORS Royal vs Regular (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3094584)

rspencer38 04-11-2013 07:08 AM

PORS Royal vs Regular

Anyone able to suggest why I would want to choose the Royal rooms at POR rather than say a regular room?

Also, I would prefer a river view room on the third floor of magnolia bend, would I need to get a royal room?

danceintherain 04-11-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rspencer38 (Post 48073236)
Anyone able to suggest why I would want to choose the Royal rooms at POR rather than say a regular room?

Also, I would prefer a river view room on the third floor of magnolia bend, would I need to get a royal room?

Getting a Royal Room gives you a greater guarantee that you will be in the Magnolia Bend section of the resort. Half the buildings in that section have Royal Rooms and half have regular rooms. You can book the Royal Room - River View category and request to be on the third floor.

I think the Royal Rooms are slightly closer to the lobby (by foot bridge) while the regular rooms are slightly closer to the pool (in that section).

Regular rooms also give them the potential to put you in the Alligator Bayou section. ETA: You would have to request Magnolia Bend and the 3rd floor.
EETA: portorleans.org has detailed maps of each of the buildings and which rooms are which category.

DisneyRunner2009 04-11-2013 08:07 AM

POR is my favorite resort. I wouldn't spend the extra money on a royal room. Some royal rooms are the farthest room locations. Last year, I had a standard room booked and was upgraded to a riverview room at no additional charge. I made a simple request for an upper floor and got a great room.

rspencer38 04-11-2013 08:11 AM

Ya that's what I was thinking. We booked POR king and would love a 3rd floor Riverview

Cinderumbrella 04-11-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rspencer38 (Post 48073762)
Ya that's what I was thinking. We booked POR king and would love a 3rd floor Riverview

There are no King beds in the Royal section.

wiigirl 04-11-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella (Post 48073801)
There are no King beds in the Royal section.

ironic right? :rotfl2:

rspencer38 04-11-2013 08:29 AM

Ya really how weird is that??

I would have sacrificed the king for two queens if the room was worth. Doesn't seem to be all that much better.

minnie mum 04-11-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rspencer38 (Post 48073902)
Ya really how weird is that??

I would have sacrificed the king for two queens if the room was worth. Doesn't seem to be all that much better.

I have to agree that for 2 adults a RR is probably not worth the upcharge. However I also think that at the Mods a waterview (river/pool/lake) isn't worth the upcharge either (other than to possibly have your room closer to the main buildings than the standard- parking lot view- rooms). Since there is a public walkway right outside your window, leaving your curtains open leaves you with NO privacy. It's not like the deluxe resorts where you could have a balcony to sit out on to enjoy the view.

But that's a personal choice- I'm just too cheap to pay the extra money for a view I only see for a minute when I'm leaving my room each morning.

wdwrich 04-11-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

However I also think that at the Mods a waterview (river/pool/lake) isn't worth the upcharge either (other than to possibly have your room closer to the main buildings than the standard- parking lot view- rooms). Since there is a public walkway right outside your window, leaving your curtains open leaves you with NO privacy. It's not like the deluxe resorts where you could have a balcony to sit out on to enjoy the view.
:thumbsup2 Agreed! We've stayed at POR in both a regular room and in a water view room (both in the mansions). The extra $$ for the water view room isn't worth it at a moderate resort for the reasons mentioned above.