The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do the resort pools close at night? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3094070)

DisneyBliss7 04-10-2013 08:41 AM

Do the resort pools close at night?

How late can you swim in your resort pools? Do they close or can you swim even when there are no lifeguards? I'm assuming the water slides close at some point in the evening but I was hoping we could still go for a late swim after a long day at the parks. We are staying at AKV, not sure if that makes a difference or not....

ArmyVet80 04-10-2013 08:46 AM

I have seen signs that say that the pools close at 11 pm but there are always people swimming after that. We stayed in the hot tub at CSR until about 1 am after getting out of the MK at 11:30 pm one night. Lifeguards weren't on duty after 8 pm if I'm not mistaken. This was in Sept 2012 though. Not sure if things have changed or not.

Ourdisneytrip13 04-10-2013 10:12 AM

We stayed at AKL last month and I asked about this. He said the pool is "technically" open til 11 (?) but after that its quiet hours. You can still swim but there is no life guard and you can't be loud. Enjoy!!

karenklo 04-10-2013 11:36 AM

You are correct that the water slide closes. It opens in the morning and closes around 7pm depending on season. I have seen people swimming at all hours at the WL, Poly, and AKL. They are being quiet and not disturbing anyone.pixiedust:

TDC Nala 04-10-2013 12:26 PM

I know that Stormalong Bay actually does "close" at some point, but that's probably because they require staff to check room keys since they don't allow anyone who isn't staying there to enter the pool area.

I think at the others they close the waterslides when the lifeguards are not on duty, but the pools themselves are open with a "swim at your own risk" policy.

kkbutterfly 04-10-2013 12:33 PM

I went into the pool at SSR (quiet pool) at 2 am once after the W&D and just walked right in. We weren't loud and no one seemed to notice us.

disnut8 04-10-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ourdisneytrip13 (Post 48064079)
We stayed at AKL last month and I asked about this. He said the pool is "technically" open til 11 (?) but after that its quiet hours. You can still swim but there is no life guard and you can't be loud. Enjoy!!

And that would be my concern. Even though someone thinks they are quiet, sound carries quite well late at night and in the wee hours of the morning. Even a normal conversation sounds magnified.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable swimming after 10:00 PM because I would want to keep my voice down as much as possible and what's the point unless it's just to swim laps? That's just me but I wouldn't be happy if my room overlooked the pool and that woke me up.

Ourdisneytrip13 04-10-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disnut8 (Post 48069371)

And that would be my concern. Even though someone thinks they are quiet, sound carries quite well late at night and in the wee hours of the morning. Even a normal conversation sounds magnified.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable swimming after 10:00 PM because I would want to keep my voice down as much as possible and what's the point unless it's just to swim laps? That's just me but I wouldn't be happy if my room overlooked the pool and that woke me up.

To each their own. We were able to swim quietly without bothering anyone. I guess it just depends on the person. Either your considerate or your not. For some people, they are at the park all day so night time may be the only chance they get to use the pool. I'm sure if it were a problem they wouldn't allow people to do it. And I'm sure if someone was being loud they would ask them to leave.

FancyNancy 04-10-2013 07:25 PM

Like everyone else said you can usually swim after hours as long as you are quiet. The only thing that makes me nervous is that without a lifeguard on duty what happens if you have an emergency type situation in the pool. Even the strongest swimmer can run into trouble. Heart attack..seizure...whatever. If something like this happens to you and there is no lifeguard there and nobody who is trained in cpr or strong enough to pull you from the pool around it could be a very bad situation. I realize it's worst case and I probably sound overly cautious :hippie:

pooh4evr 04-10-2013 08:20 PM

I LOVE going to the pools at night after a long park day. It feels so relaxing to just be in the water. We aren't playing marco polo or anything just floating around for a few minutes is perfect!

babygirlamg 04-10-2013 08:34 PM

We arrived late to the Pop on arrival day and then had issues with our room key but still at 1am my daughter went swimming....she was the only one and loved it ....and the rest if the week we would see people in the pools at midnight or after coming back from the parks...as long as your not loud it's fine

DizneyLizzy 04-10-2013 08:57 PM

Storm-along Bay does in fact close completely at night until (I believe) 10 AM. I have tried to go in that pool before 10 AM and it has been chained off. I think I heard somewhere that because SAB is technically a water park under FL law, it can only be open when lifeguards are present. If you wanted to swim late night or early morning at Y/B, I'm sure you could use one of the quiet pools.

I have had no problem swimming "after hours" in any other resort, however...morning or evening.

smiths02 04-10-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FancyNancy
Like everyone else said you can usually swim after hours as long as you are quiet. The only thing that makes me nervous is that without a lifeguard on duty what happens if you have an emergency type situation in the pool. Even the strongest swimmer can run into trouble. Heart attack..seizure...whatever. If something like this happens to you and there is no lifeguard there and nobody who is trained in cpr or strong enough to pull you from the pool around it could be a very bad situation. I realize it's worst case and I probably sound overly cautious :hippie:

A teenager just died last month swimming at night at Pop.

Sammie 04-10-2013 09:48 PM

All pools have posted hours on a sign at the pool, after that it is allowed as long as you are quiet to the point of not disturbing anyone.

TBLaube 04-11-2013 01:10 AM

Unfortunately this is not true. We stayed at All Star Sports last summer and there were so many people in the pool and on the football field being incredibly loud. I am not joking. They were yelling and screaming every night well into 2am. We called and even complained to the front desk and management along with other people. We were blown off and told that despite the posted hours and closure times listed in the resort guide upon check-in, they would not enforce and we were out of luck basically. They didn't wan to ruin the people's vacation.

I am a DVC owner and take 1-2 trips per year staying at a variety of resorts. I love WDW, but I will never return to the All Star Resorts after this experience. Management was more upset with us than the mass quantities of people being extremely loud. It really was extremely disappointing.