The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Your thoughts on a very early (7AM) Chef Mickey's ADR? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093894)

2Pirates2Princesses 04-09-2013 07:38 PM

Your thoughts on a very early (7AM) Chef Mickey's ADR?

Trying to decide if doing this is going to be a success or fail. I'm not worried about transportation, we will be staying in a condo at Windsor Hills and will have our own vehicle. My concern is getting everyone out the door by 6 a.m. and if we will feel like eating a big buffet breakfast that early. Then again, part of me is thinking we will be among the first guests of the day to enjoy hot and freshly prepared food, it won't be as crowded, and we will be able to make rope drop at Magic Kingdom (this is on a day that MK is a recommended park too). Anyone care to share their experience with doing a very early (before 8am) Chef Mickey's ADR?

MinnieFan4ever 04-09-2013 08:51 PM

Something to consider. What time do you all normally get up and get ready. Also, what time zone will you be coming from. That can be a big deal if your from the west coast. For my family, it wouldn't work. We are still asleep at 7.;)

MomofDisneyLoversx3 04-09-2013 09:17 PM

It would cause anarchy in my family. :)

MyTwoPrincesses 04-09-2013 09:25 PM

That would never work for us. Making rope drop at 9 is hard enough. If your family rises early maybe but even then it just seems incredibly early. Particularly since you are staying off site and not at the Contemporary.

2Pirates2Princesses 04-09-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyTwoPrincesses (Post 48061090)
That would never work for us. Making rope drop at 9 is hard enough. If your family rises early maybe but even then it just seems incredibly early. Particularly since you are staying off site and not at the Contemporary.

This is a good point. If we were staying at CR or BLT, or even one of the other resorts where we could hop on the monorail or catch a boat ride over, then this would be a lot easier logistically. I think I just needed some input from others to accept the reality of this situation. It isn't a must do ADR since we got to eat at Chef Mickey's on our last trip. My kids wanted to go back to Chef Mickey's for this upcoming trip, but we are going to do the Tusker House breakfast anyway so we definitely won't be missing out on having breakfast with the mouse :thumbsup2

bryannem 04-10-2013 12:01 AM

We did this exact thing a few years ago, with a party of 9. We all got there, no problem. As long as you aren't doing it every day, most people can suck it up for one early morning. The food was great and the kids were very bright eyed, so the experience was great.
This past trip, we did an 8:00 am CRT reservation for 11 people, also coming from off site.
It gives you a really fun start to the day.

lemondog 04-10-2013 09:08 AM

We do CM every trip, the 7am seating. We love it! You are ushered right on, food is hot and fresh.,And you are done in plenty of time for rope drop at MK. We always do the first seating of every breakfast we so so we can make rope drop. Wouldn't do it any other way. Then again we are early-to-bed...the whole family is in bed with lights out no later than 10:00.

wishinuponastar 04-10-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemondog
We do CM every trip, the 7am seating. We love it! You are ushered right on, food is hot and fresh.,And you are done in plenty of time for rope drop at MK. We always do the first seating of every breakfast we so so we can make rope drop. Wouldn't do it any other way. Then again we are early-to-bed...the whole family is in bed with lights out no later than 10:00.

This is something I've considered on my upcoming trip to the poly... do you remember what time the characters start making their rounds? Thank you for the info... :)

WDWOswald 04-10-2013 09:42 AM

Are you insane? You want to be waking up at 5 AM on your vacation?

Nothing on this earth is worth that.

3PrinceMom 04-10-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDWOswald (Post 48064416)
Are you insane? You want to be waking up at 5 AM on your vacation?

Nothing on this earth is worth that.

Agreed! This is vacation time. My family will sleep in and walk on every ride after 11pm.

Neesy228 04-10-2013 10:21 AM

It really depends on your family...if you're an early to bed, early to rise kinda group - then party on!

If I tried this with my family I'm reasonably certain there would be a mutiny. No matter how much my crew loves Mickey and Disney, I'm not getting them up at 5am. (And I wouldn't want to get up either! The thought of all that food so early in the morning isn't appetizing at all.)

lemondog 04-10-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishinuponastar (Post 48064339)

This is something I've considered on my upcoming trip to the poly... do you remember what time the characters start making their rounds? Thank you for the info... :)

I don't remember the exact time but they do come out fairly quickly after the first groups are seated...I would say within 10 minutes. We are always done and at the MK gates by 8:30 at the latest so I know it does take them too long to get started. We also always get to experience the napkin twirl as well.

Disney_Princess83 04-10-2013 11:07 AM

As others have already said, it's very dependent on your family. For us personally, this wouldn't work. We are night owls and then would rather sleep in until 10am. Even if we want to hit rope drop, we leave getting up until the last minute and race for the bus, coffee and a snack in hand.

Will this be early in the trip? We find the longer we stay, the more tired we get. Early on in the trip, we're more wanting to get up and get into the parks. Would this be a regular time to wake up for you and your family? With kids, anything really out of routine get throw them off. If they're not morning people, you might end up with meltdowns by midday.

We did a Chef Mickey Reservation at 7:25am one morning and for us, it was terrible getting up that early! We vowed never again. Once we got there, and had ALOT of coffee, we were alright. We only took it because it was the only one we could get. We got a taxi over there (were using Disney Transport everywhere). I wouldn't recommend it but it's dependent on your family :)

scottashackleton 04-10-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Pirates2Princesses (Post 48059900)
Trying to decide if doing this is going to be a success or fail. I'm not worried about transportation, we will be staying in a condo at Windsor Hills and will have our own vehicle. My concern is getting everyone out the door by 6 a.m. and if we will feel like eating a big buffet breakfast that early. Then again, part of me is thinking we will be among the first guests of the day to enjoy hot and freshly prepared food, it won't be as crowded, and we will be able to make rope drop at Magic Kingdom (this is on a day that MK is a recommended park too). Anyone care to share their experience with doing a very early (before 8am) Chef Mickey's ADR?

It's really up to you and your family. If you can get there on time, great, then you have more time for parks and stuff afterwards.

Personally, my fiancee and I do our best work early morning and late night. With EMH we are leaving the park having hit all the rides by the time 90% of guests are walking in the gates. Same with late night hours. So we would be fine with getting up. On the other hand, I have no idea what goes into getting children ready :confused3

2Pirates2Princesses 04-10-2013 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I decided to cancel it. I went back and checked and someone snatched that time slot up within minutes of me canceling, so someone will definitely be the early bird that day! Like I said before, 7am would probably be doable for us if we were actually staying at the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower. It's no biggie though as we got to eat at Chef Mickey's on our last trip, I have us booked for a Tusker House breakfast, and I am also considering the Ohana character breakfast for our checkout day (not sure yet) since we won't be going to Chef Mickey's. So we definitely won't be missing out on having a good breakfast with the mouse!