The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   CM just told me possibly no free dining this year (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093263)

justplaingoofy 04-08-2013 04:45 PM

CM just told me possibly no free dining this year

I just called Disney to see if they had a pin code for me & I asked if she has heard anything about free dining promo coming up & she said and I quote "We've been hearing that it will not be offered this year". Not sure if she is accurate, but thought I'd pass it along.

arielmomma 04-08-2013 05:09 PM

Bummer. I wasn't going to take advantage, but a lot of people were counting on it. I really hope the CM is wrong!

Thanks for sharing!

chocovrdmicears 04-08-2013 05:54 PM

I am not sure I would put much into that - My unofficial opinion (based on things I have read ) - is that there will be some sort of Free Dining this year - but not the same type we have seen in years past. Disney knows that a LOT of folks book vacations during that season because of Free Dining - I don't think they will eliminate it entirely - but it may be a different size/shape than years past. Only time will tell..:coffee:

disnut8 04-08-2013 06:02 PM

That's kinda like saying someone heard something from their best friend's cousin's son who knows someone's husband who is a Disney bus driver. :rotfl2:

dansdad 04-08-2013 06:05 PM

That goes along with what has been said by a poster on the discount board whose predictions have been spot on in the past.

chocovrdmicears 04-08-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dansdad (Post 48048466)
That goes along with what has been said by a poster on the discount board whose predictions have been spot on in the past.

:thumbsup2

nkereina 04-08-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaingoofy (Post 48047773)
I just called Disney to see if they had a pin code for me & I asked if she has heard anything about free dining promo coming up & she said and I quote "We've been hearing that it will not be offered this year". Not sure if she is accurate, but thought I'd pass it along.

Are you booked yet? If not, I'd be suspicious that the CM told you that in hopes of getting your booking. The call center agents have goals and may even work on commission, or at least get a kick back.

minnie mum 04-08-2013 09:03 PM

The discount board has had threads about this for months now. There have been quite a few posters claiming inside info who have said that Free Dining (as we have known it in the past) is not going to be offered. Time will tell, but so far it hasn't been offered yet this year. A new, dumbed down version may be offered. Or nothing. And so we wait. :hourglass

Sue M 04-09-2013 12:15 AM

It wouldn't surprise me. The January discounts usually have free dining, but didn't this year. Instead they put out the Stay/Play & Dine promo where both room & DDP were discounted.

Missytara 04-09-2013 06:22 AM

If you check on the discount codes and rates board, you will see a great deal of info regarding free dining changing over to the stay/play/dine.

VACamm 04-09-2013 07:57 AM

Thats a shame... I used Free Dining last August and it really saves our family of 4 a LOT of money!!

lmhall2000 04-09-2013 08:18 AM

It boils down to who wants my money...the value for dollar at rack rate is just not there..we can book a week offsite at a resort and visit a restaurant each night for $2700 less than we could do it on property...free dining is the only thing that made it a consideration...so Disney will get $2000 of our vacation dollars instead of $3500...that is their call...but would never pay a couple grand extra to stay onsite. Couple of a hundred? Sure!

wiigirl 04-09-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disnut8 (Post 48048433)
That's kinda like saying someone heard something from their best friend's cousin's son who knows someone's husband who is a Disney bus driver. :rotfl2:

:thumbsup2:lmao:

bluejasmine 04-09-2013 09:15 AM

While discounts have been slim I pray this isn't true, Ill have to cancel this yrs trip.. and be heartbroken.. Im a TA and haven't heard any rumors of coming FD codes BUT ive spoken to a few CM that believe it may still come..

grimley1968 04-09-2013 09:43 AM

Personally I hope there is no "free dining", in favor of room-only or package discounts. With the declining value of FD, combined with having to pay rack rate for rooms to get it, I feel a straight discount on rooms or packages, and then paying for meals out of pocket saves us more.

Usually when there is FD, other discounts on rooms or packages tend to be not very generous. Before FD, you could regularly find discounts of 40% off a package, including tickets. Not so much since FD has been offered. I don't mind the dining plan itself, as it can be not a bad deal for people who like to eat in the way WDW sets the plan up, but I feel FD has been offered in the last several years at the expense of other discounts.