The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Walt Disney World holding online job fair (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3091419)

Rumors Rocks 04-04-2013 11:50 PM

Walt Disney World holding online job fair
 
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/General_...e_job_fair.htm

Quote:

Walt Disney World is hosting an online job fair through April 7, looking to hire workers for their theme parks, resorts and water parks. There are both full-time and part-time positions available and range from food and beverage to bus drivers.

Walt Disney World cast members receive benefits such as complimentary admission to the theme parks and discounts on merchandise, dining and hotels. Full-time employees are eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage.

Click link for more details.

lockedoutlogic 04-05-2013 08:38 AM

In a word:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OO!!!!!

Don't do it!:banana::woohoo:

dayvewc 04-05-2013 09:34 AM

Lockedoutlogic, please, tell us how you really feel!!

Honestly, with an opinion that strong, you must have a reason. Please share.

drsabia 04-05-2013 09:56 AM

Thank you!
 
I am so glad that I found this website! Thank you for posting it, it is such a great resource!

lockedoutlogic 04-05-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dayvewc (Post 48014792)
Lockedoutlogic, please, tell us how you really feel!!

Honestly, with an opinion that strong, you must have a reason. Please share.

not really...i was pretty grounded in my days...

It's a job...can be great if you let it be. It's what you make of it.

The problem with employment at WDW based on my experiences were twofold:

Employees are viewed like a "necessary evil" from corporate (aka WALL STREET) and the mass of workers fall prey to setting their expectations to high.

I climbed up the ladder a few rungs in my couple of years there...but never really took it more seriously than just being a cog in the machine - no matter what color bar i had on my ID card at the time.
Since i was a young pup, i did notice that there was ALOT of 20 somethings who would show up there (mostly ex-CPs who didn't grasp that CP was code for "Cheap Pawns") and expect to have disney pay them to be "professionals" post grad. Not the reality...and caused alot of rub in many units/locations. And the 10-20 year locals who made it into entry level management (think about how absurd that is) who viewed almost all the employees as dinosaurs or sniveling little kids.

And the "face" hires...

Wow...i don't hold any grudges...but looking back it must really have sucked there :banana:

mm1971 04-05-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 48016049)
not really...i was pretty grounded in my days...

It's a job...can be great if you let it be. It's what you make of it.

The problem with employment at WDW based on my experiences were twofold:

Employees are viewed like a "necessary evil" from corporate (aka WALL STREET) and the mass of workers fall prey to setting their expectations to high.

I climbed up the ladder a few rungs in my couple of years there...but never really took it more seriously than just being a cog in the machine - no matter what color bar i had on my ID card at the time.
Since i was a young pup, i did notice that there was ALOT of 20 somethings who would show up there (mostly ex-CPs who didn't grasp that CP was code for "Cheap Pawns") and expect to have disney pay them to be "professionals" post grad. Not the reality...and caused alot of rub in many units/locations. And the 10-20 year locals who made it into entry level management (think about how absurd that is) who viewed almost all the employees as dinosaurs or sniveling little kids.

And the "face" hires...

Wow...i don't hold any grudges...but looking back it must really have sucked there :banana:


Hmmm. I guess we asked for it.:rotfl2::rotfl2:

And there I was thinking I should retire to Orlando in 25 years and work at MK. I guess I'll have to find a new plan. Hey, US/IOA has Harry Potter.:goodvibes

I'm thinking in today's reality there will be a lot of applicants. A job is a job.

Edit: Just saw a new post that SeaWorld is hiring for the summer for between $8 and $10 an hour. Is that any different fro the Disney recruiting?

CuteAsMinnie 04-05-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 48016049)
not really...i was pretty grounded in my days...

It's a job...can be great if you let it be. It's what you make of it.

The problem with employment at WDW based on my experiences were twofold:

Employees are viewed like a "necessary evil" from corporate (aka WALL STREET) and the mass of workers fall prey to setting their expectations to high.

I climbed up the ladder a few rungs in my couple of years there...but never really took it more seriously than just being a cog in the machine - no matter what color bar i had on my ID card at the time.
Since i was a young pup, i did notice that there was ALOT of 20 somethings who would show up there (mostly ex-CPs who didn't grasp that CP was code for "Cheap Pawns") and expect to have disney pay them to be "professionals" post grad. Not the reality...and caused alot of rub in many units/locations. And the 10-20 year locals who made it into entry level management (think about how absurd that is) who viewed almost all the employees as dinosaurs or sniveling little kids.

And the "face" hires...

Wow...i don't hold any grudges...but looking back it must really have sucked there :banana:

Well, then it is a good thing you have moved on....

lockedoutlogic 04-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie (Post 48018374)
Well, then it is a good thing you have moved on....

:woohoo:wooooohoooo!!!:woohoo:, you wild and crazy girl...

I love it.

I'm glad i didn't go all "harsh"...i could've really talked straight on this.

The truth tends to taste the same no matter what type of sauce you put on it.

I love being negated based on my own observationspopcorn::

eadavis 04-05-2013 08:12 PM

Working for Disney is an awesome experience. And by 'awesome' I mean it definitively. Whether good or bad you take something away, you were part of one of most recognized companies in the world.

I'm a CM, corporate side, and I love what I do, I've worked my way up (from being a housekeeper at the All-Star) and consumed the kool-aid every step of the way. There are many who do as well, and many who don't. At the end of the day its a job, love it or hate it, it puts food on the table.

monorailrabbit 04-05-2013 08:39 PM

Let me just say that ever since I was a little kid I have wanted to drive the monorail and be a character... if there was relocation assistance, well, eat my dust Nebraska! :rotfl:

lockedoutlogic 04-05-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eadavis (Post 48021075)
Working for Disney is an awesome experience. And by 'awesome' I mean it definitively. Whether good or bad you take something away, you were part of one of most recognized companies in the world.

I'm a CM, corporate side, and I love what I do, I've worked my way up (from being a housekeeper at the All-Star) and consumed the kool-aid every step of the way. There are many who do as well, and many who don't. At the end of the day its a job, love it or hate it, it puts food on the table.

I actually agree with you on everything...except perhaps the last part.

disney has become a minimum wage meat factory in many ways because of their corporate/hiring practices. Minimum wage (wait sorry...10 cents over) is not a livable wage. And forcing people to try and get 16 hours a week OT by some means to meet responsibilities is not what a reasonable person could term "opportunity employment".

Now they do have their advantages...benefits being a big one for jobs that require no education or experience in 90% of the case. But lets face it...the truth is everyone should have health care in "advanced" society...this is a STOOPID error in us that can't seriously be debated.

and the park perks are nice...but again, employees in parks recycle some if not all of their pay back into the parks. They aren't forced to do it...but lets not kid that this isn't at least about 75% of the point.

Again...i i do agree that you can have a great experience there...a terrible one...or all ranges of the spectrum in between...

But there's a reason that some of the other travelodge operators in town look better these days...if not many. And why Disney will have major staffing issues for the conceivable future...and why they will go heavy into outsourcing ..which will probably be complained about every day on this board...as an example of "lack of quality"or "walt's vision"...crying for an employment utopia that probably never existed and has been moving the opposite direction for years.

Remember when the news about starbucks running the bakery was taken like shot to the face by many? Sheer panic by some...over really BAD baked goods. the reality is starbucks is consistently listed as one of the better companies to work for...disney not so much. they are compensated on a higher level than disney. quality is actually gonna rise. that is a function of labor...just the way HR, economics, and morale play out.

one final...again, I'm actually not disagreeing here...

did i see somebody say "at least its a job in this economy..."
yeah...they've been studying this for the last couple of years and though it seems common sense...theres a paradox at work. low wages and "at least you have a job" actually backfire on corporate america big time. production is slowed to ridiculous levels as the hours increase and the pay stays low or stagnant. basically you get what you pay for...counterintuitive, but if you think about it - what is the employers threat? "if you don't shape up...we'll replace you with someone who will be happy to work for...err...the minimum allowable by law. And they you'll have to get a job somewhere else working for...errr...the minimum amount allowable by law. Swap meat.

on a societal level...there is a growing, semi-silent "anger" in the populace based on labor, jobs, pay, and in the bigger scale economic opportunity. i see it festering and growing every day...as i'm sure many of us do. as the money gap continues to widen like the Cincinnati Bengals pass defense...so too does the quiet, mass frustration. This is going to continue as we "evolve" and eventually there will be a correction. chaos theory...unavoidable.

DRDISNEYMD 04-05-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1971 (Post 48017426)

I'm thinking in today's reality there will be a lot of applicants. A job is a job.

Edit: Just saw a new post that SeaWorld is hiring for the summer for between $8 and $10 an hour. Is that any different fro the Disney recruiting?

~I agree with this. A job is a job, we all have to start somewhere -- internship, entry level, peace corp, military, volunteering, shadowing or whatever. Life is what you make of it. This can be a great opportunity for many people.

~When I was in high school, I did an internship for a large retailer. This retailer had a huge college internship program and hired a lot of college grads as entry level managers. I'll never forget how many of them felt disenfranchised by the whole experience!

~The General Manager made them go outside in the cold and get shopping carts, sweep the patio, hang signs and even straighten shelves in their suits & heels! They didn't adopt the khaki's and polo shirt dress code, just yet. One entry level managers told me, he didn't go to college for four years to do this crap (I'm paraphrasing). But, the GM told us specifically everyone must crawl before they walk, no one is going to just waltz in and call the shots. Right after that experience -- I knew retail wasn't my thing -- I'm a much better fit for consumer part of the industry! :rotfl:

~Anyway, good luck to all future applicants! Disney on your resume' is priceless! :shamrock:

SammySlythers 04-05-2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mm1971 (Post 48017426)
Hmmm. I guess we asked for it.:rotfl2::rotfl2:

And there I was thinking I should retire to Orlando in 25 years and work at MK. I guess I'll have to find a new plan. Hey, US/IOA has Harry Potter.:goodvibes

I'm thinking in today's reality there will be a lot of applicants. A job is a job.

Edit: Just saw a new post that SeaWorld is hiring for the summer for between $8 and $10 an hour. Is that any different fro the Disney recruiting?

Disney routinely pays around $0.50-$1.00 less per hour for just about every position equivalent to ones at SeaWorld and Universal. The same way that guests pay more at Disney for things because of the brand, Disney is able to pay cast members less because "it's Disney!" I really wish this weren't the case as I've been trying to find a way to justify taking a pay cut to switch companies...

Disneyandphilliesfan 04-06-2013 07:55 AM

Best job there is bus driver they make almost 11 an hour.

CuteAsMinnie 04-06-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 48018856)
:woohoo:wooooohoooo!!!:woohoo:, you wild and crazy girl...

I love it.

I'm glad i didn't go all "harsh"...i could've really talked straight on this.

The truth tends to taste the same no matter what type of sauce you put on it.

I love being negated based on my own observationspopcorn::


Dooood I think you've spent a little too much time in Its a Small World!
:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao::rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.