The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does anyone swim on the Alaska cruise? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3091237)

aeasterling 04-04-2013 03:58 PM

Does anyone swim on the Alaska cruise?

I read that the pools are heated, but just wondering how many brave souls actually venture into the water?

lbgraves 04-04-2013 04:14 PM

We only saw kids in the pools for the most part. Adults were in the hot tubs at the adult pool.

Silstone 04-04-2013 04:24 PM

Wanted to but it was just too cold!!

Luv_Tink 04-04-2013 04:28 PM

We had gorgeous weather on our Alaskan cruise last summer and my 3 girls really enjoyed the pools. Of course we are from the Seattle area and break out the shorts when it hits 60F around here. I would recommend bringing bathrobes for anyone who plans to swim because it's chilly when you get out of the pool.

MedicGoofy 04-04-2013 04:58 PM

People were swimming every day in the pools on our cruise. It was absolutely gorgeous weather. I travelled on HAL, so basically adults. And there were tons of adults swimming:)

DisneyForLife 04-04-2013 05:03 PM

Went last June and the weather was gorgeous. You just need a little more of a cover up than normal when you get out of the pool. Enjoy.......an Alaskan cruise is absolutely gorgeous.

JimmyJackJunior 04-04-2013 05:08 PM

Two years ago did a bunch but it does get chilly once you are out of the water.

MikeAndNick 04-04-2013 05:10 PM

In the late evenings we would go on the pool deck and watch movies :happytv: wrapped up in blankets drinking hot chocolate popcorn:: :drinking1. The hot tubs where full of the teenagers at the same time, and yes, my son was one :clown:. About every 20 minutes a couple of them would get brave and jump out of the hot tub and run and jump in the pool. They would last about 3 or 4 minutes then jump back out and run back to the hot tub. It was an additional attraction to the movies.

I asked my son one night how cold the pool was and he told me that the pool was not bad but going from the hot tub to the pool was a big difference and the being out of both and wet was real bad.
:jumping1:

Keurigirl 04-04-2013 05:26 PM

We swam the whole cruise!! It's chilly outside but pools are heated.

AJaquins 04-04-2013 05:46 PM

I swam the water was the perfect temperature. The hot tubs were great too. DH came but fell asleep on the lounge chair and a deck hand woke him up and gave him a cushion and blanket so he'd be warm. :goodvibes There was 1 other person swimming at the same time and we had the whole quiet cove pool to ourselves. :beach: There are towels nice and handy but bring something warm to wrap up in and the forward elevators are really close by.

wnissen 04-04-2013 05:49 PM

It depends a lot on the time of year. We were the last cruise of the season (Labor Day), and temperatures, even in Seattle, were in the 60s. With the ship's speed adding 20 knots to the wind, it was chilly even during the day. There were a number of kids in the pools but one afternoon the only other adult was a Mountie from Manitoba. In the evenings there was almost no one. We all jumped in a hot tub and then sprinted back inside, it felt really cold.

It was nothing like we've seen on Caribbean cruises where there are dozens of kids during the day.

luv2sleep 04-04-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnissen
It depends a lot on the time of year. We were the last cruise of the season (Labor Day), and temperatures, even in Seattle, were in the 60s. With the ship's speed adding 20 knots to the wind, it was chilly even during the day. There were a number of kids in the pools but one afternoon the only other adult was a Mountie from Manitoba. In the evenings there was almost no one. We all jumped in a hot tub and then sprinted back inside, it felt really cold.

It was nothing like we've seen on Caribbean cruises where there are dozens of kids during the day.

Good!

TwingleMomFl 04-04-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv_Tink (Post 48009005)
We had gorgeous weather on our Alaskan cruise last summer and my 3 girls really enjoyed the pools. Of course we are from the Seattle area and break out the shorts when it hits 60F around here. I would recommend bringing bathrobes for anyone who plans to swim because it's chilly when you get out of the pool.

Great idea about the bathrobes!

MillauFr 04-04-2013 07:39 PM

The pools were packed when we cruised in late August last year.

pipertoad 04-04-2013 08:04 PM

I have ben swimming in the Arctic Ocean north of Hudson bay in august so I would think Alaska on a ship with heated pools would be great.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards