The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Would meat eaters be content with a meatless lunch? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3089450)

LisaR 04-01-2013 04:51 PM

Would meat eaters be content with a meatless lunch?

I have some company coming for lunch. We are plant based eaters and they aren't.

I plan on making Mexican. There will be DIY tacos, burritos, and nachos. I bought cheese and sour cream for them. I will have Spanish rice, black beans, roasted corn, olives, lettuce, guacamole, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers, homemade chunky tomato salsa plus jarred salsa. In addition, I will have Gazpacho soup and either chili or another Mexican soup.

So if you are a meat eater, are you going to be really disappointed if you have Mexican without meat or will you be content for the one meal? As a plant based eater, I couldn't have "just one meal" with meat so I don't want to assume they would be fine with a meatless meal. If I ask, they will say "whatever" because nobody ever wants to tell the host the truth in situations like this. While I wouldn't be thrilled cooking ground beef, I'd do it if most felt it would be a disappointing meal without it.

okeydokey 04-01-2013 04:54 PM

If someone invites me for a meal, I am grateful for the invite. Meatless lunch is fine. They do know you don't eat meat, right?

MinnieGirl33 04-01-2013 04:56 PM

If they are guests in your home they should be gracious & grateful for whatever is put out for them.

If they know you are veg/vegan/meatless I can't imagine they would expect you to do anything else.

Janepod 04-01-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaR (Post 47974971)
I have some company coming for lunch. We are plant based eaters and they aren't.

I plan on making Mexican. There will be DIY tacos, burritos, and nachos. I bought cheese and sour cream for them. I will have Spanish rice, black beans, roasted corn, olives, lettuce, guacamole, sauteed mushrooms, onions, and peppers, homemade chunky tomato salsa plus jarred salsa. In addition, I will have Gazpacho soup and either chili or another Mexican soup.

So if you are a meat eater, are you going to be really disappointed if you have Mexican without meat or will you be content for the one meal? As a plant based eater, I couldn't have "just one meal" with meat so I don't want to assume they would be fine with a meatless meal. If I ask, they will say "whatever" because nobody ever wants to tell the host the truth in situations like this. While I wouldn't be thrilled cooking ground beef, I'd do it if most felt it would be a disappointing meal without it.

No meat is fine, but I hope there are margaritas!

LisaR 04-01-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janepod (Post 47975037)
No meat is fine, but I hope there are margaritas!

Duh! That was a given! :rotfl2:

They do know we do not eat meat, by the way.

Christine 04-01-2013 04:59 PM

As another poster said, if you're inviting me for lunch, I'd be eternally grateful and happy enough. That said, in all honesty, I would be missing the meat in my tacos or burritos (I'm fine with meatless nachos).

JessicaR 04-01-2013 05:02 PM

Your menu sounds delicious and satisfying. Yum!

erincon23 04-01-2013 05:04 PM

Anyone can get along without eating meat at one meal. Don't do something you'd prefer not to do. Now if you were planning a fancy sit-down meal for a wedding reception, people might feel otherwise, but for a lunch with friends? It sounds yummy (and if they miss meat, they can stop at McDonald's on the way home).

dawnhaze 04-01-2013 05:09 PM

If I'm eating at someone else's house, I eat what they serve without complaining about it. Vegan, kosher, gluten free - whatever. If people don't like it they can eat again later. I'm not big on traditional manners but this seems like common sense to me.

Plus, that sounds like an awesome meal anyhow. :)

Liberty Belle 04-01-2013 05:10 PM

That sounds delicious. I don't think you'd have to worry. I don't think many meat-eaters are as adamant about eating meat with every meal as those who don't eat meat are adamant against eating it.

I served basically the same meal to my parents when they were up and they enjoyed it, but my mom did make a comment that "she didn't really even mind not having meat."

minkydog 04-01-2013 05:12 PM

I am an avowed meat eater, but I wouldn't bat an eye at a meatless meal with friends. In fact, any meal that I don't have to cook is fine with me :thumbsup2

Ceila 04-01-2013 05:14 PM

Do non-meat-eaters really assume that meat-eaters must and do have meat at every meal? I can't figure out why this is even a question. I eat just about anything, but not all at once! :rotfl:

superme80 04-01-2013 05:19 PM

Only my dad would give me a hard time cause well...he's my dad! :rotfl: Your meal sounds yummy!

daisymomof4 04-01-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaR (Post 47974971)

I'll be right there! :moped: Sounds delish!

When I go through my meatless phases (one day I'll be able to stick to it, lol), my DH, aka Mr. Meatandpotatoes, is thrilled with meals like the one you are making.

I bet your friends will leave the house with full, satisfied tummies. Enjoy the time with them.

Gumbo4x4 04-01-2013 05:29 PM

I'd eat it, but I'd be stopping at the drive thru on the way home. Mexican isn't something I as a meat eater ever eat meatless unless I just stuff myself on chips and salsa :rotfl2: