The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Spirit of Aloha or Back Yard Barbeque (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3089305)

MassFamily 04-01-2013 12:52 PM

Spirit of Aloha or Back Yard Barbeque

We are starting to plan our trip for next year, we want to go to one dinner show, and saw Hoop Dee Doo last time. Our girls will be 9 and 8, I don't think they will be too impressed with costumed characters who don't talk, so we are thinking the Luau, but the Barbeque sounds fun.

Anyone who has been to both that might be able to add information to help our decision?

Thanks for any help.

OhThePain 04-01-2013 01:15 PM

If you want to do a dinner show, I would see HDDR again. MBYBBQ, IMO, appeals more to kids younger than yours and SoA is just downright bad (boring show for the most part, lousy food).

MassFamily 04-01-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhThePain (Post 47972501)
If you want to do a dinner show, I would see HDDR again. MBYBBQ, IMO, appeals more to kids younger than yours and SoA is just downright bad (boring show for the most part, lousy food).

Wow, did not expect that, but I truly appreciate your honesty.

DisMomK 04-01-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

If you want to do a dinner show, I would see HDDR again. MBYBBQ, IMO, appeals more to kids younger than yours

Wouldn't recommend MBYBBQ for girls your age either. It is also rather hot depending on what time of year you go. It is all out doors, thought covered, and the wait to get in can be rather long if you want good seats. Have not done SoA, but that would be what I would take my girls too in lieu of MBYBBQ. HDDR is always a fun time! Have fun planning, I know you will find something perfect for your family!

Tpiejg 04-01-2013 04:46 PM

I agree with the pp. We didnt like the luau at all. the show was boring and the food was lacking. We loved HDDR. Havent tried bbq but havent heard great things about it.

willowsnn3 04-01-2013 05:47 PM

We absolutely love MBYBBQ!! And we are so excited that there was availability on our upcoming trip!! This time the grandson will be 12, granddaughter 11 & another granddaughter that is 8. The bbq is one they always ask for. They didn't care for HDDR at all. We've done the bbq in Sept & in November and both evenings the weather was very pleasant. We did the bus once and the boat once. Much prefer the boat, lol.
I don't think any of the characters talk??? But there is plenty of dancing and don't forget:
All you can eat MICKEY bars!!!!!

mickeynut1 04-01-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassFamily (Post 47972215)
We are starting to plan our trip for next year, we want to go to one dinner show, and saw Hoop Dee Doo last time. Our girls will be 9 and 8, I don't think they will be too impressed with costumed characters who don't talk, so we are thinking the Luau, but the Barbeque sounds fun.

Anyone who has been to both that might be able to add information to help our decision?

Thanks for any help.

We've only done Spirit of Aloha and we liked it. We thought the food was good and the show was kind of cute (some parts were a little cheesy, but the fire dancers at the end were great). It's not something we would do every trip, but we were glad we did it at least once. I read a lot of not so good reviews before we went, but we decided to try it anyway and we have no regrets. Good luck.

Hopefully 04-01-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

I agree

4HppyCamprs 04-01-2013 06:21 PM

I liked spirit of aloha. It is cheesy but it reminds me of LILO and stitch :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

nkereina 04-01-2013 06:33 PM

I've read several times that the food at the BBQ was bad and certainly not worth the price/2 TS credits if you are on DDP. It was BBQ food - burgers and hot dogs.

What time of year are you going? We booked Spirit of Aloha on a late March trip one time, and it got cancelled on us because it was too cold. They will cancel if the weather drops below 50 degrees. We thought we would be safe in March but a cold spell came through. If you are going any time of year other than the summer/spring, consider that as well. Not sure if the same policy applies to the BBQ.

Peachkins 04-01-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeynut1 (Post 47975527)
We've only done Spirit of Aloha and we liked it. We thought the food was good and the show was kind of cute (some parts were a little cheesy, but the fire dancers at the end were great). It's not something we would do every trip, but we were glad we did it at least once. I read a lot of not so good reviews before we went, but we decided to try it anyway and we have no regrets. Good luck.

I agree with this review. There were definitely some cheesy parts to the show- basically everything in the first half. Once the Polynesian dancers come out it's much more like a traditional luau. My whole family liked the food. However the menu has changed since we were there in 2011, so I can't swear that it's still good.

I have not heard good things about the BBQ.

clapton 04-01-2013 09:07 PM

Definitely not MBYBBQ! It was awful!!

amypetecar 04-01-2013 10:46 PM

I have seen neither but both seem to get consistently bad reviews

Consider an off-site show such as medieval times or the pirates dinner adventure

sephorachick 04-02-2013 07:08 AM

I did NOT like Spirit of Aloha will never do again.

I liked HDDR in past. Here is review & pics of my spirit of aloha experience.....

http://yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blo...xperience.html

Ckemper 04-02-2013 08:01 AM

I enjoyed the food, but the show was lacking. My three girls were very uninterested so much that husband took my middle daughter out to play while the show finished up. I would not recommend taking young children.