The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tell me about Remy (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3088914)

erinfarber 03-31-2013 06:06 PM

Tell me about Remy
 
What did you find to be the best food at Remy? Was there just one dish that stood out or were there many courses that were exceptional? Talk me into booking a reservation at Remy. I need to be convinced it is worth 75.00 per person. We have been to Palo and found the food to be Amazing. Does Remy compare to Palo or are they so different in their offerings that you can not compare the two? Help me decide please.

manhattanman 03-31-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinfarber (Post 47965714)
What did you find to be the best food at Remy? Was there just one dish that stood out or were there many courses that were exceptional? Talk me into booking a reservation at Remy. I need to be convinced it is worth 75.00 per person. We have been to Palo and found the food to be Amazing. Does Remy compare to Palo or are they so different in their offerings that you can not compare the two? Help me decide please.

The 75 dollar surcharge is misleading, a similar meal on land would cost significantly more.
I really liked it, if you are adventurous there is stuff that you will not eat everyday, but its not exotic for the purpose of being exotic. The pace and service really make the meal, you sit down and the food starts flowing and it just keeps flowing, pretty effortlessly. There is something liberating about putting the entire meal, start to finish, in capable hands.

We had two couples, the men had the French menu the ladies the american. There was some sharing of food and pretty much everyone thought they got the better menu. The service was prompt, seem less but not overbearing. The waiter was bilingual and did both menus in both languages. It might have been the company we kept but when it was done we left completely satisfied wondering where the time went. It was the only time I completely forgot we were on a ship.

I'll let others compare it to Palo, but I really really liked it. I was also somewhat hesitant due to the cost and YMMV but I think it would have been worth it at twice the cost.

one princess 03-31-2013 06:40 PM

I would pay the 75.00 just for the cheese course. If they added a glass or 2 of port of course! I think I had 10 different cheeses on my plate this time so if you go, don't be shy about asking for which ever ones you want. It is a totally different experience than Palo. Actually my DH and I only booked dinner at Remy and brunch at Palo this time. Palo dinner to me is not much different than a lot of other restaurants we would go to around here. Don't get me wrong, I think it is excellent, but is a totally different animal.
Now that I think about it, I just might write Disney and suggest they have a happy hour at Remy where they just have cheese and port.

jdb in AZ 03-31-2013 06:49 PM

Service at Remy was incomparable -- an experience all its own.

Like the PP, DH and I thought Palo wasn't that much different from other restaurants we've experienced, but Remy is in a class by itself.

Remy's food doesn't include any endangered or even strange species (no squid or marinated monkey meat), but the chefs do know their way around the kitchen. the food is prepared after you order it, instead of sitting around under heat lamps for hours on a buffet line.

erinfarber 03-31-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanman (Post 47965943)
The 75 dollar surcharge is misleading, a similar meal on land would cost significantly more.
I really liked it, if you are adventurous there is stuff that you will not eat everyday, but its not exotic for the purpose of being exotic. The pace and service really make the meal, you sit down and the food starts flowing and it just keeps flowing, pretty effortlessly. There is something liberating about putting the entire meal, start to finish, in capable hands.

We had two couples, the men had the French menu the ladies the american. There was some sharing of food and pretty much everyone thought they got the better menu. The service was prompt, seem less but not overbearing. The waiter was bilingual and did both menus in both languages. It might have been the company we kept but when it was done we left completely satisfied wondering where the time went. It was the only time I completely forgot we were on a ship.

I'll let others compare it to Palo, but I really really liked it. I was also somewhat hesitant due to the cost and YMMV but I think it would have been worth it at twice the cost.

There is a French and American menu? What are the options? You choose from 2 completely different menus, either French or American? I had no idea. This is not like a typical restaurant where you order a meal from the menu?

jayteadunn 03-31-2013 06:55 PM

Happy we did it once. We did a brunch which was more of a lunch with an egg. Preset menu. We enjoyed ourselves but no WOW like the palo brunch. I doubt greatly that we would ever go back.

I didn't feel it was worthy of the $75 per person

pjacobi 03-31-2013 06:59 PM

Delicious calamari
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdb in AZ (Post 47966081)
Remy's food doesn't include any endangered or even strange species (no squid or marinated monkey meat),

Squid (calamari) is served in Paolo!

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/sh...ing/palo/menu/


-Paul

jayteadunn 03-31-2013 07:01 PM

Palo palo Palo

We went to Remy on our last trip and it was nice but not as impressive as palo

We went to a lunch. Sort of a preset meal that just arrived in courses. Food was interesting but not plentiful.

Service was outstanding but the overall food experience is not worth the $75 in my opinion

Give it a try to experience it for yourself but its like New Years in Times Square - one time is all you need

n8tivecaligirl 03-31-2013 07:42 PM

Loved remy! The most we talked (and still talk) about a meal. Amazing and worth it. Don't know If we'd be able to go again (though we'd want to) but the larger ships aren't our cup if tea. But remy makes us think twice (:

manhattanman 03-31-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8tivecaligirl (Post 47966613)
Loved remy! The most we talked (and still talk) about a meal. Amazing and worth it. Don't know If we'd be able to go again (though we'd want to) but the larger ships aren't our cup if tea. But remy makes us think twice (:

Is it me or do the majority of people who did not think Remy was worth it, went to the lunch as opposed to dinner?

And there is no right answer, if you thought it was not better than Palo, that's fine. People have different tastes and expectations. Asking for opinions of food is really subjective, I've been to a lot of highly rated restaurants that were just meh. Remy was not one of them.

hamm1207 03-31-2013 08:33 PM

How does a Remy dinner run? The courses and what not? Someone mentioned two menus...is it the same food just listed in either French or English? We are signed up for Remy in a month-we don't have the wine. Are you seated with other couples?

one princess 03-31-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamm1207 (Post 47967109)
How does a Remy dinner run? The courses and what not? Someone mentioned two menus...is it the same food just listed in either French or English? We are signed up for Remy in a month-we don't have the wine. Are you seated with other couples?

There are 2 chefs. One has created a French menu and the other an American menu. These are the two tasting menus that can be served with the wine pairings. (or without) If these don't suit you, there is also an a la carte menu where you would choose your courses from. There are about 12 options from 3 different categories. Land, sea and something I don't remember. You would choose any 4 dishes. Some are from the 2 tasting menus, some not. I am sure you could also do a wine pairing with this as well or order a bottle. Really, they are there to guide you through this and help you get whatever will make you happy. It is your meal. Order what you want. There are other small courses throughout the meal but you don't order them. One is the cheese course which I mentioned earlier is worth the price of admission alone.
You will be seated alone.
Enjoy!

manhattanman 03-31-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamm1207 (Post 47967109)
How does a Remy dinner run? The courses and what not? Someone mentioned two menus...is it the same food just listed in either French or English? We are signed up for Remy in a month-we don't have the wine. Are you seated with other couples?

I think you can order ala carte but we did the tasting menu. Remy has two executiv. e chefs, one French one american. They each have their own menus called gout and saveur. It is NOT the same food, its very different. If you don't speak French, it's no problem they will explain the menu in English. I think that the tasting menus might be more fluid than the ala carte fare. You can see the menus on the Disney website but there is a disclaimer that it is subject to change.

You won't be seated with people you don't know, mostly four tops but a big banquet table in a separate room in the back

one princess 03-31-2013 09:02 PM

Sorry. Double post.

disneyfan888 03-31-2013 09:25 PM

Remy is wonderful. If you have not done it yet, I would say do it and that way you have the experience. The food is great and so is the service. The restaurant is absolutely lovely. However, we find that the food at the MDR's are just as fabulous and we would rather go to Palo. With so many good food options, I do not find the $75pp worth it on every cruise that we take. We tried it, we did enjoy it, but we will not be doing it again anytime soon.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.