The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   UK DVC Discussion (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Any advantages to doing online checkin (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3088892)

crabbie1 03-31-2013 06:30 PM

Any advantages to doing online checkin
 
We leAve on the 9th april and iv read mixed views about checking in online. I have asked for a high floor at wlv and a high floor even number at Blt. I have read some people asking for specific room numbers??? Surely they cant expect to get that!!!!
Anyway if I book in on line what are the advantages if any?

Disneymad 04-01-2013 07:12 AM

The advantages are that it's much quicker. You usually skip a longer line but even if not, your time at the desk is usually significantly shorter because your folder with your name on will be there ready and waiting with keys, room charging, dashboard parking thingy sitting there pre-created.

I've also come away with the impression that they assume if you're savvy enough to do online check in, you've either been onsite before or you at least have a basic understanding of the different parks and how it all works etc so they don't talk you through all the individual pieces of paper in your folder ("these show you the park hours, these are EMH days, these are your park maps...") in so much detail.

On the flip side, I don't think there are any dis-advantages to online check-in. If you *really* don't like your room allocation which is most people's worry you can make still make a request with the CM at the desk anyhow and if something else is available they can move you and re-print the keys. If nothing is available then that would be the situation even if you were checking in the normal fashion.

Like you say, people can make some very specific requests but there's zero guarantee you'll receive them either way of checking in. Except for 1 occasion at Boardwalk (everyone hates those long corridors :rotfl:) I've always received my - granted minimal - requests when doing online check-in.

crabbie1 04-01-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneymad
The advantages are that it's much quicker. You usually skip a longer line but even if not, your time at the desk is usually significantly shorter because your folder with your name on will be there ready and waiting with keys, room charging, dashboard parking thingy sitting there pre-created.

I've also come away with the impression that they assume if you're savvy enough to do online check in, you've either been onsite before or you at least have a basic understanding of the different parks and how it all works etc so they don't talk you through all the individual pieces of paper in your folder ("these show you the park hours, these are EMH days, these are your park maps...") in so much detail.

On the flip side, I don't think there are any dis-advantages to online check-in. If you *really* don't like your room allocation which is most people's worry you can make still make a request with the CM at the desk anyhow and if something else is available they can move you and re-print the keys. If nothing is available then that would be the situation even if you were checking in the normal fashion.

Like you say, people can make some very specific requests but there's zero guarantee you'll receive them either way of checking in. Except for 1 occasion at Boardwalk (everyone hates those long corridors :rotfl:) I've always received my - granted minimal - requests when doing online check-in.

Thankyou. As We are doing wlv and blt will they able to link the kttw cards. The only thing is i dont want the CC room charges but I have read they can be removed.
Also im not worried abt room location so much at wlv but I have had to book a studio for 2 nights standard view then 4 nights in a one bed lake view at BLT. We dont have a car so dont need the free parking badge.
We have never had to wait long to check in or out longest was at okw where again someone complaining because they hadnt got all there requests. Its states requests but people still play their selfish faces grrrrrrrrrrrrr. As Iv only asked for a high floor Location thats all Im really bothered about.
If you think Im best to check in online for all 3 (as I know I have to check in/out at blt as a different accomodation type) then I will take your advice.
Let me know ur thoughts.

Samaya 04-01-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabbie1 (Post 47965395)
We leAve on the 9th april and iv read mixed views about checking in online. I have asked for a high floor at wlv and a high floor even number at Blt. I have read some people asking for specific room numbers??? Surely they cant expect to get that!!!!
Anyway if I book in on line what are the advantages if any?

We were very lucky last year, we requested two or three specific room numbers at BCV and at Vero Beach and at both resorts we were allocated one of the rooms we had requested. We never tried the on line check-in at Vero but did for the BCV stay and as Disneymad said it is much quicker as you will have a folder with everything in waiting for you, but if you're not happy with the room you've been allocated then you will need to wait in line for a Cast-member so to check what other rooms are available.

Also, if you have internet access while you're there you can always check in on line now for your first stay and based on your experience leave the choice of checking in on line and any room request for the other two stays until a few days before you check in.

Have a great time.....

crabbie1 04-01-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samaya

We were very lucky last year, we requested two or three specific room numbers at BCV and at Vero Beach and at both resorts we were allocated one of the rooms we had requested. We never tried the on line check-in at Vero but did for the BCV stay and as Disneymad said it is much quicker as you will have a folder with everything in waiting for you, but if you're not happy with the room you've been allocated then you will need to wait in line for a Cast-member so to check what other rooms are available.

Also, if you have internet access while you're there you can always check in on line now for your first stay and based on your experience leave the choice of checking in on line and any room request for the other two stays until a few days before you check in.

Have a great time.....

Thankyou. Will do that.

Disneymad 04-02-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabbie1 (Post 47969712)
Thankyou. As We are doing wlv and blt will they able to link the kttw cards. The only thing is i dont want the CC room charges but I have read they can be removed.
Also im not worried abt room location so much at wlv but I have had to book a studio for 2 nights standard view then 4 nights in a one bed lake view at BLT. We dont have a car so dont need the free parking badge.
We have never had to wait long to check in or out longest was at okw where again someone complaining because they hadnt got all there requests. Its states requests but people still play their selfish faces grrrrrrrrrrrrr. As Iv only asked for a high floor Location thats all Im really bothered about.
If you think Im best to check in online for all 3 (as I know I have to check in/out at blt as a different accomodation type) then I will take your advice.
Let me know ur thoughts.

Well I'm not 100% sure as it's been a year since I last did online check in, but I'm fairly sure you don't have to attach a credit card to do it so if you don't want room charge privileges then think it'll be fine.

Regarding checking in for all 3 - well, this is *purely* anecdotal evidence, I may have just been incredibly lucky on this, but....

We nearly always do split stays too and one of the other things about online check-in is that they ask your arrival time - because you are already on property you can give them an early time. I currently have a 100% record of my room being physically available in the morning. In addition to that, because I've already checked-in online, I can actually call Guest Services on the phone before leaving my room at my old resort and ask if my room is ready (because it's already been assigned they can also see if Housekeeping have signed it off).

I've always been prepared to head to a park for the day and wait with going to the new resort till later in the day, however as I say, my room has always been ready so we head straight over and even if we get Bell Services to move our luggage, we are still able to put our passports and valuables in the room safe rather than taking them into the parks which I hate having to do.

Happy99 04-02-2013 12:27 PM

question

if you already have room request through your reservation do you have to put it again on the online check in?

this year will be our first DVC stay on points. In the past on regular reservations I never received the requests when doing online check in but did when I didn't do it so I am very weary of using it again this year

We are staying at SSR 2 bedroom dedicated, only request is the Springs section and are arriving about 11:30am at the hotel

Elise79 04-03-2013 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneymad (Post 47980205)
Well I'm not 100% sure as it's been a year since I last did online check in, but I'm fairly sure you don't have to attach a credit card to do it so if you don't want room charge privileges then think it'll be fine.

Regarding checking in for all 3 - well, this is *purely* anecdotal evidence, I may have just been incredibly lucky on this, but....

We nearly always do split stays too and one of the other things about online check-in is that they ask your arrival time - because you are already on property you can give them an early time. I currently have a 100% record of my room being physically available in the morning. In addition to that, because I've already checked-in online, I can actually call Guest Services on the phone before leaving my room at my old resort and ask if my room is ready (because it's already been assigned they can also see if Housekeeping have signed it off).

I've always been prepared to head to a park for the day and wait with going to the new resort till later in the day, however as I say, my room has always been ready so we head straight over and even if we get Bell Services to move our luggage, we are still able to put our passports and valuables in the room safe rather than taking them into the parks which I hate having to do.

You have to give a CC during online check in now. I didn't bother in the end as they wanted to add charging to DD card despite her being 4! They get you to set up your PIN for charging during OLCI.

I think room ready depends on resort occupancy/room type. We have split stayed and most times checked in early and had a room by lunch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy99 (Post 47983094)
question

if you already have room request through your reservation do you have to put it again on the online check in?

this year will be our first DVC stay on points. In the past on regular reservations I never received the requests when doing online check in but did when I didn't do it so I am very weary of using it again this year

We are staying at SSR 2 bedroom dedicated, only request is the Springs section and are arriving about 11:30am at the hotel

If you have requests on your reservation you don't need to add them at OLCI.

We have never waited long at check in so don't generally other with OLCI.

Disneymad 04-03-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elise79 (Post 47991179)
You have to give a CC during online check in now. I didn't bother in the end as they wanted to add charging to DD card despite her being 4! They get you to set up your PIN for charging during OLCI.

Oh doh! I completely forgot about the RFID stuff phasing in since my last trip.

crabbie1 04-03-2013 08:13 PM

Found that out so am gonna take my chances with normal check in.

Elise79 04-05-2013 05:16 PM

We checked in to BLT last night without having done OLCI and request was meet :thumbsup2 Also no queues to check in either :)

crabbie1 04-06-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elise79
We checked in to BLT last night without having done OLCI and request was meet :thumbsup2 Also no queues to check in either :)

Thanks tracey. I havent done it as it wouldnt let me do it without adding a CC which I dont want to do as dont posses one. DB has but dont want it on the room. How are you finding the queues there? Iv looked at the forecast and there seems to be a lot of rainy days😢. Hope your liking blt. Our home resort is wilderness lodge and our first stay as dvc members but also looking forward to both our studio and one bed visit at Blt. Look forward to meeting youx


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.