The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Anyone Else Disappointed With Tony's Town Square? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3088860)

jhaig 03-31-2013 04:17 PM

Anyone Else Disappointed With Tony's Town Square?

Our last trip to WDW in Dec 2012 included a much anticipated dinner at Tony's Town Square. Our previous experiences there have been very good, with decent food and great service. We were there during the Xmas parade taping day and found that some things had disappeared from the menu, like the garlic bread appetizer (what Italian restaurant doesn't have garlic bread?) and the service was bordering on "oh, sorry to bother you with a menu question". And when I took my daughter outside to catch a minute or two of the parade before our meal got there, several Tony's employees gave us the stink eye, like we were doing something wrong by not sitting at our table and being good little guests. I guess that whole experience has turned us off from Tony's. Anyone else feel that Tony's has gone downhill lately?

goofyintoronto 03-31-2013 05:29 PM

Gone downhill lately? Omg thats an understatement! Tony's is HORRID! Awful awful food. I went a couple of years ago, NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN. I'd even feel terrible recommending it to my worst enemy.

conandrob240 03-31-2013 05:42 PM

If you go in expecting it to be like Olive Garden you will set a realistic expectation. Not very good " Italian" food but not horrific. The setting is cute and convenient.

rapunzels 03-31-2013 05:48 PM

Olive Garden isn't that great, but is better than Tony's.... So that's says a lot.

jhaig 03-31-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapunzels (Post 47965531)
Olive Garden isn't that great, but is better than Tony's.... So that's says a lot.

Yeah, we usually go knowing what to expect. I don't expect fine Italian cuisine, but is it too much to ask for common courtesy from the staff? Food aside, the service had us coming back before, but this time was the pits.

TheRustyScupper 03-31-2013 05:53 PM

Our Ratings of Tony's Town Square: (rev 1/20/2013)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: C
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: C
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: A
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Not something to write home about. Meat dishes are
average and Italian entrées are akin to CHEF-BOY-AR-DEE; well,
using CHEF-BOY-AR-DEE could be considered an insult to that
famous Cleveland, Ohio chef. The sauce may be tomato sauce,
but it is definitely not a marinara. The appetizers are average.
In a pinch, Tony's will do, but there are far better choices. On
the plus side, the desserts are simple, but pretty good. Hard
to justify going the first time, let alone going back.

jhaig 03-31-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofyintoronto (Post 47965387)
Gone downhill lately? Omg thats an understatement! Tony's is HORRID! Awful awful food. I went a couple of years ago, NEVER EVER EVER AGAIN. I'd even feel terrible recommending it to my worst enemy.

Ouch! I agree to a certain extent. We had much better food at Via Napoli, but the location and previously good service kept us going back. Now, doubtful, especially with (marginally) better MK options at BOG and CP.

pezaddict231 03-31-2013 06:04 PM

We've only been there once but the whole experience was disappointing. I didn't expect great Italian food by any means but the spaghetti and meatballs was barely edible. I was really surprised by how bad it was and I'm normally not that picky. It was also really crowded, the service was not particularly good and the atmosphere was not that great. Our favorite MK TS is Liberty Tree Tavern, we generally go for lunch.

juliebug1997 03-31-2013 06:11 PM

I've been to lots of Italian food places that don't serve garlic bread. Many places now just serve bread with olive oil.

We kind of like the food at Tony's, but the service was pretty bad last year, bad enough that we have decided to give Tony's a break for a while and do something else.

livsmom04 03-31-2013 06:12 PM

We have never had an issue with Tony's! It's actually one of our favorite restaurants to go to.

vettegirl 03-31-2013 06:15 PM

My friend and I had a very nice lunch there in Sept.

NoSoup4U 03-31-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rapunzels (Post 47965531)

Yup. Totally agree! :thumbsup2 Tony's sucks!

rapunzels 03-31-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pezaddict231
Our favorite MK TS is Liberty Tree Tavern, we generally go for lunch.

Don't get me started on food/service going down hill. LTT used to be soo much better. A lot of people think its pretty good for dinner, but its a FAR cry from what it used to be. Cost cutting measures change the flavors and textures enough that over time, old favorites turn into old memories.

princess aleya 03-31-2013 07:22 PM

We tried Tony's on our last trip and were very surprised that we enjoyed it. Service was fine and the food was good too.

davedmaine 03-31-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofyintoronto

Try it again. A review from over 2 years ago isn't much to go on. We like it. It's not great, but not bad for Disney current dining standards.