The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Grand Cayman Scuba Diving (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3088478)

samfsu 03-30-2013 05:32 PM

Grand Cayman Scuba Diving
 
I am thinking of diving in Grand Cayman, for those of you that have can you please let me know if the 4.5 hrs that we are there will be enough time to dive? Did you dive with the cruise ship or on your own with a LDS?

Thanks for the insight!

WDWMaggie 03-30-2013 05:47 PM

I've gone diving a few times in GC and have booked it through the ship. I believe they use Red Sail Sports. Every time I have gone it's been a great experience.
Hope this helps!

ludari 03-30-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDWMaggie (Post 47958027)
I've gone diving a few times in GC and have booked it through the ship. I believe they use Red Sail Sports. Every time I have gone it's been a great experience.
Hope this helps!

I too booked my diving excursion through the ship and I was not disappointed. We had the opportunity to see all sorts of wonderful wildlife and even dived at a wreck site.

Docklobster 03-30-2013 08:36 PM

Yes red sail was superb!!

OKW Lover 03-31-2013 07:33 AM

Nice to hear that Red Sail is still around. I used them probably 20 years ago and it was a good experience then. Just haven't been diving any more so I've got no current experience.

zippingalong 03-31-2013 07:52 AM

We dive Cayman a lot. Usually with Don Foster's.

Are you bringing your own gear? If I had my druthers, I'd actually do a shore dive and not worry about the boat ride since you have a time on shore. My first choice would be Lighthouse point, very easy to get to, basically you head west towards West Bay. It's a gorgeous, shore dive, and much nicer than you'll see on one of the shallow cruise shippers dives.

Or, I'd just head over to Sunset House and do their house dive.

Probably my favorite dive on all of Cayman is the old house reef for Spanish Bay Reef, but the resort is under some kind of construction and I don't know if you could walk down to their dock. It also probably wouldn't be too easy to find.

samfsu 03-31-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippingalong (Post 47961660)
We dive Cayman a lot. Usually with Don Foster's.

Are you bringing your own gear? If I had my druthers, I'd actually do a shore dive and not worry about the boat ride since you have a time on shore. My first choice would be Lighthouse point, very easy to get to, basically you head west towards West Bay. It's a gorgeous, shore dive, and much nicer than you'll see on one of the shallow cruise shippers dives.

Or, I'd just head over to Sunset House and do their house dive.

Probably my favorite dive on all of Cayman is the old house reef for Spanish Bay Reef, but the resort is under some kind of construction and I don't know if you could walk down to their dock. It also probably wouldn't be too easy to find.

I am on the fence about bring gear or not. I know I have to rent tanks but I can bring everything else. I will look into the shore dives. Thanks for the insight.

Mekamax 03-31-2013 09:56 AM

You can walk to Eden Rock from the tender pier (to the right) and dive there right off their pier. They are a Dive Center and rent gear and all. Great shore dives.. www.edenrockdive.com

samfsu 03-31-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mekamax (Post 47962489)
You can walk to Eden Rock from the tender pier (to the right) and dive there right off their pier. They are a Dive Center and rent gear and all. Great shore dives..


Thanks!

jgura 03-31-2013 04:32 PM

GC Diving
 
My husband has dived there through DCL twice. Both times he had enough time and a good experience. He goes solo, so I prefer he goes through Disney. If we cruise with another diver, then we book all the dives independently.

Whirlybird 03-31-2013 06:04 PM

I have taken several scuba dive excursions from the cruise line and have not been disappointed. You will be well taken care of and ensure you are back on the ship on time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.