The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Dogs allowed? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3087782)

melglnh2o 03-29-2013 08:49 AM

Dogs allowed?
 
We just booked at Kidani for the end of August. This will be our first trip to WDW. Does anyone know if they allow dogs at KV?

goofy4tink 03-29-2013 08:57 AM

Nope. They will allow service dogs but that's it. If you have a dog with you, you might want to look into the onsite kennels.

keaster 03-29-2013 09:34 AM

As PP mentioned, only service dogs are allowed at the resorts.

I think I read on another thread that dogs are allowed at Fort Wilderness if you are camping with your RV/trailer. But I'm sure someone can correct me if that's not the case :)

Lynne M 03-29-2013 10:36 AM

There are some campsite loops at Fort Wilderness that allow dogs, but other than that, no on-property resort allows pets, except for service animals.

melglnh2o 03-29-2013 12:22 PM

Thanks everyone. I figured that would be the case but just wanted to check.

nkereina 03-29-2013 01:27 PM

I'm sure PPs are correct, however, that was a flexible policy when I worked at a luxury hotel chain (not Disney). The answer was usually no except for service dogs but management also made exceptions on a case by case basis and imposed a $300 deep cleaning fee for once the guest left. In the three years I worked there, I saw about four guests who were allowed dogs.

I do think the kennels at WDW are a great option though! Very clean and nice.

outahere 03-29-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkereina (Post 47947440)
I do think the kennels at WDW are a great option though! Very clean and nice.

Just fyi..... Disney closed all of their kennels a few years ago. Now the only kennel on property is run by Best Friends. I have not been in that one, but we did use a local Best Friends a few years ago and it was ok, nothing great but nothing bad either.

disnut8 03-30-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outahere (Post 47949130)
Just fyi..... Disney closed all of their kennels a few years ago. Now the only kennel on property is run by Best Friends. I have not been in that one, but we did use a local Best Friends a few years ago and it was ok, nothing great but nothing bad either.

My dad and stepmother use the Disney Best Friends and my fursister loves it. And if she (the dog) can handle it, any pet can. Kaycee was a neglected dog and if she isn't within the site of her human parents, she isn't all that happy. And the fact that my dad (age 83) feels comfortable with the arraignments speaks volumes. That dog is the reason my dad is still with us.

And where else can you get your dog a daily ice cream? That damn dog had it made!

jofesel 04-06-2013 11:12 AM

We used Best Friends once and it was very nice. However, we quickly tired of their high prices. There is an additional charge for even minor services. Our dog loves to interact with other dogs in group play but the additional charges begin to add up. So, we searched for another kennel and found VIP Pet Resorts which is about 15 minutes away. We love it! Our dog has now spent a week there during our last two trips. The facility is immaculate, the staff is top notch and the prices are reasonable. They even text you pictures. If you want to visit your dog every day or are staying just a day or two I might stick with Best Friends. If you are staying longer and are looking for better prices and group play I would definitely consider VIP Pet Resort.

kapoof 04-06-2013 12:39 PM

That is the hardest part of going to Disney world is leaving my Scottie! I totally understand the no pet dog rules but she is so good and would sit happily in my lap on easy rides...I would love to be able to bring her...in a perfect world maybe. :goodvibes

goofy4tink 04-06-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapoof (Post 48026017)
That is the hardest part of going to Disney world is leaving my Scottie! I totally understand the no pet dog rules but she is so good and would sit happily in my lap on easy rides...I would love to be able to bring her...in a perfect world maybe. :goodvibes

In a perfect world there would be no dog allergies, no children that fear dogs, etc.
I love dogs...up until last summer, I always had a dog. But, I seldom brought the dog into situations where he might negatively impact others. I wish other people thought that same way. I have seen people ignore postings about no dogs allowed. The owners will say...'Oh my little Poopsie is sooo good. He would never do anything bad.' but little kids are still afraid and no one can say for certain exactly how their dog is going to react in a strange situation. And in my opinion, most people do not properly socialize their dogs..so there are a lot of situations that will be 'strange' to the dog.
Not to mention...is it really fair to drag a dog around a theme park? I understand that people love their pets...but they are animals, not humans. And animals tend to revert back to animal behaviour and believe me, animal behaviour is not always in the best interests of humans!!!

kapoof 04-06-2013 01:41 PM

I totally agree! It more of a dream of mine:cloud9:. She is such a lap dog I would carry her around the park and ride low key rides, and she would sleep right next to me, even sit in my lap during meals...again this is just a dream. . In the real world I don't even like the idea of dogs on planes. Or hotel rooms.

rachel09985 04-06-2013 03:35 PM

I would love to bring my pup to Disney World! I have seen so many little service dogs at Disney and it cracks me up. Are little dogs considered service dogs to help with anxiety? I have always wondered that.

I always have dreams where I take my dog to Disney and keep her locked up in the bathroom. I don't know why I dream that all the time

wilkeliza 04-06-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachel09985 (Post 48027215)
I would love to bring my pup to Disney World! I have seen so many little service dogs at Disney and it cracks me up. Are little dogs considered service dogs to help with anxiety? I have always wondered that.

I always have dreams where I take my dog to Disney and keep her locked up in the bathroom. I don't know why I dream that all the time

Technically no. Unless the dog provides a service through work then they are not a service dog. Those are considered companion dogs. A companion animal provides relief from symptoms after an attack such as anxiety. If someone has anxiety or depression a dog can not stop it they can only help emotionally with symptoms.

However, a PTSD dog can be aware of triggers and help steer his owner away from them or help protect others in the event of an outburst etc. A seeing eye dog alerts the owner/handler to danger and helps them navigate through the world. A seizure dog alerts its owner/handler to insets of seizures and some can even call for help and turn the person on their side in the event of a seizure. All of these dogs have a job and typically are not allowed to be played with
while working.

ADA laws were edited in 2011 to strengthen the wording and specifically outline what a service dog vs companion animal is. Under the current law only service dogs are allowed and their owners are protected as long as the dog is well behaved. Any dog that is a danger to the public can be removed service or not.

aubriee 04-08-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkeliza (Post 48027902)
Technically no. Unless the dog provides a service through work then they are not a service dog. Those are considered companion dogs. A companion animal provides relief from symptoms after an attack such as anxiety. If someone has anxiety or depression a dog can not stop it they can only help emotionally with symptoms.

However, a PTSD dog can be aware of triggers and help steer his owner away from them or help protect others in the event of an outburst etc. A seeing eye dog alerts the owner/handler to danger and helps them navigate through the world. A seizure dog alerts its owner/handler to insets of seizures and some can even call for help and turn the person on their side in the event of a seizure. All of these dogs have a job and typically are not allowed to be played with
while working.

ADA laws were edited in 2011 to strengthen the wording and specifically outline what a service dog vs companion animal is. Under the current law only service dogs are allowed and their owners are protected as long as the dog is well behaved. Any dog that is a danger to the public can be removed service or not.

I posted on here before about an incident I saw at AK a few years ago. I had ran in one day just to take one ride on the safari and to ride EE a few times single rider and wanted to be out of there before lunch. I had the best driver I had ever had on the safari. He was so good and so enthusiastic trying to get us good photo ops and talking about the animals. He was the best driver I had ever had. I made a point of stopping off at guest services that morning as I was leaving the park, to fill out a comment card about how good he was. As I was waiting in line, there was a lady at the desk holding a little, yapping Yorkie. The dog was adorable, but so totally out of control, you couldn't help but laugh. I didn't realize those little things were that strong. It was all the lady could do to hold onto it.:rotfl: Anyway, she was furious. Apparently she had been kicked out because of the dog's yapping and running at people. She kept insisting it was a service dog and they had no right to ban it from the park. I heard the CM behind the desk, saying that yes service dogs are allowed in the parks, but the owner must have control of them at all times and apparently this little dog had charged yapping at a larger service dog, as well as guests and if she couldn't control him then Disney did have a right to ban him. If the dog hadn't been wriggling and yapping so much at the time, it wouldn't have been so funny, but it was apparent this dog had had no training and very little if any socialization. She had no control over him whatsoever. What' s funny is I then saw them a few days later over at MK and the teenage daughter was carrying the little dog around and he was trying to lunge out of her arms, growling and yapping at people. I know small dogs can be service animals, as well as therapy animals, but no way was that little dog either one. He was too busy misbehaving to concentrate on any job. He was too cute though. He was on a leash, but was being carried both times I saw him and was fighting to get down.:rotfl: There was no way those people were going to be able to enjoy the parks, with that hyper little bundle of uncontrolled energy. He was obviously just a pet that they were calling a companion dog, so they could bring him to WDW. I feel sorry for whoever was in the room next to them. Both times I saw the dog he was yelping.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.